Fred "Rerun" Barry once commented here.

January 19th, 2001

Card Sharks Drinking Game

Consider this a sequel to the original Card Sharks Ping.

There are entire pages devoted to TV and movie drinking games. So here’s my own creation: the Card Sharks Drinking Game.

Take one drink if…

• Jim Perry comments on Janice’s outfit
  • Jim Perry says, “Oh, OK, now listen to this…” before reading a question
  • The survey is of “100 prison inmates”; extra drink if Jim Perry adds, “These are people currently serving time in San Quinton State Prison.”
  • The survey is of “100 feminists”; extra drink if Jim Perry adds, “These are women that belong to the National Organization for Women.”
  • Jim Perry refers to the audience as “Friends”
  • One of the contestants is wearing clothes that are painfully 80′s in style
  • One of the contestants says “Well, these days”, “Nowadays”, or something similar
  • One of the contestants mentions “Women’s Lib”
  • A contestant calls “lower” on a 7 or “higher” on a 9.
  • A contestant accidentally says “higher” on an Ace or “lower” on a 2.
  • Jim Perry or Janice drop a card.
  • One of the contestants makes a sweeping generalization about “Japanese culture.”
Take two drinks if…
  • Jim Perry says “Jacks scare me.”
  • The censors drop the audio when someone says “God.”
  • Both of the contestants are wearing clothes that are painfully 80′s in style.
  • One of the contestants says “Nowadays, with Women’s Lib…”
  • A contestant calls “lower” on a card 6 or below or “higher” on a card 10 or above.
  • The survey is of 100 people who own pigs as pets.
  • Part of the machinery malfunctions (microphone excluded).
Drink the whole damn bottle if…
  • A contestant wins $28,800 at the Big Money Cards.
Sure, I don’t drink, but this type of thing needed to be done. :) And though it may sound like I’m making fun of the show, nothing could be further from the truth — this is just a tribute to all the interesting quirks that made Card Sharks such an entertaining game show. -ram

Posted in Television, Movies, and Music

DATE: Friday January 19, 2001 -- 12:09:21AM
Ryan- I'm glad we discussed this while watching the show, it puts it into better perspective.

DATE: Friday January 19, 2001 -- 12:13:17AM
Matt -- It's kind of frightening that I was able to come up with this many things... but I'm sure I forgot something. :)

DATE: Friday January 19, 2001 -- 7:18:35AM
It should be noted that there's a new syndicated version of "Card Sharks" on the way. While it can't be the same, it's something, at least.

DATE: Friday January 19, 2001 -- 11:29:26AM
Paul -- Really? Any pointers to that info?

DATE: Friday January 19, 2001 -- 12:31:15PM
Sure.

FROM: Robert
DATE: Friday January 19, 2001 -- 12:46:01PM
I would only recommend this drinking game if your poison of choice is Sammy Hagar's Cabo Wabo Tequila. And drink it straight, ya pansy!!!

DATE: Friday January 19, 2001 -- 12:47:03PM
Wow... a revival. Paul, that makes me so happy. If that happens, my goal in life will be to become a contestant.

FROM: Robert
DATE: Friday January 19, 2001 -- 1:11:27PM
Ryan--You should refer the producers to your work on Sally Jesse Raphael and the People's Court.

FROM: Jim Perry
DATE: Thursday March 1, 2001 -- 10:46:30PM
Had I known the show would continue to be such a hit, and that people would actually expand upon its premise, I'd have never taken the offer to do "$ale of the Century"!

DATE: Saturday March 3, 2001 -- 3:04:01PM
I wonder if the real Jim Perry would have said that? :)

I never actually saw $ale of the Century.

FROM: Craig Foye
DATE: Saturday May 19, 2001 -- 12:49:22PM
Before he hosted the unsold pilot episode of "Twisters" as well as "$ale of the Century", Jim Perry does the hosting of "Card Sharks" because this fall, Pearson Television will revive "Card Sharks" in fall of 2001.

FROM: Sal from California
DATE: Wednesday May 23, 2001 -- 12:29:10AM
And I thought I was the only one that watched Card Sharks that close. Nice to know that I have company. (SAVE ALL MARK GOODSON SHOWS on GSN!!!)

FROM: JERIMIE HAMILTON
DATE: Wednesday June 27, 2001 -- 5:49:18PM

FROM: Eric
DATE: Saturday August 18, 2001 -- 10:03:44AM
You can add the following to your drinking list:

1. Jim says "Indeed." (more prevalent on Sale)
2. Jim describes Russian immigrants as "these are people who have left the Soviet Union for life in the United States."
3. Jim says "You won the question, you won the right to change your base card."/"You did not win the question, you cannot change your base card."

FROM: Bob
DATE: Thursday August 23, 2001 -- 10:34:09AM
The new Card Sharks is coming... September 17th launch date!

FROM: J.P. Rosales
DATE: Saturday September 8, 2001 -- 1:19:40PM
Now that Game Show Network has brought back Let's Make a Deal and Press Your Luck, I think it is high time that they bought $ale of the Century from Pearson to start rerunning again. As many of you know, that show was Reg Grundy's masterpiece; the Aussie version is still running, from what I hear.
To all of you who read this (including the Perrys), PLEASE e-mail GSN so that $ale can be shown on TV again. This show always rocked!!

FROM: Lee Anne Bertucci
DATE: Monday September 24, 2001 -- 7:26:07PM
How do I Get in Touch with Jim Perry the host Of Sale Of the Century About Letting me on as a Conestant on the show
Because I Like the show and He would Have to show me How to do each round Or He Can ask Summer to help me

FROM: kristy in AZ
DATE: Monday October 8, 2001 -- 5:05:00PM
I have watched the new Card Sharks a few times, but it does not compare to the original..

FROM: sky
DATE: Thursday November 29, 2001 -- 4:22:28AM
did jim perry really write that above? if he did, has he come back since that posting? hey jim, whatcha been up to?

DATE: Thursday November 29, 2001 -- 9:32:54AM
No, Sky, that wasn't really Jim Perry.

However, his wife did stop by and answer a lot of our questions in the other Card Sharks Ping.

FROM: Alvaro Fuentes
DATE: Thursday January 24, 2002 -- 1:15:38 pm
For This Premiere on Monday, May 6th, 2002. I Will Watch Full Hour of Jim Perry's for Card Sharks at 3:00PM and Sale of the Century at 3:30PM on Game Show Network.

DATE: Thursday January 24, 2002 -- 3:00:05 pm
You're kidding me! Sale of the Century is coming GSN? You've made my day, Alvaro.

FROM: Pinkticket
DATE: Thursday January 24, 2002 -- 11:09:31 pm
Your drinking game for "Card Sharks"
was laugh out loud funny! I've long
loved this game show back when Jim
Perry was host. I thought he was the nicest & best looking of all the hosts who ever did Card Sharks.
thanks.

FROM: "Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
DATE: Friday March 1, 2002 -- 12:47:55 am
Hey, Card Sharks fans

Board game maker Endless Games is preparing to release a Card Sharks board game. You can find a picture of the box at their website:
www.endlessgames.com

I hope it's better than that whack-ass version they tried to foist on us this year.

FROM: Alvaro Fuentes [E-Mail]
DATE: Wednesday July 24, 2002 -- 9:07:34 pm
By The Way On October 7th 2002, Game Show Network is Making More Changes to their Programming Schedule. 11:30am: Classic Concentration (Alex Trebek) will Replace Win, Lose or Draw. 12pm: Tic Tac Dough (Wink Martindale) will Replace Family Feud (Richard Dawson). 2:30pm: The Joker's Wild (Jack Barry) will Replace Hollywood Squares (Peter Marshall). Weekends Overnights 3-4am: High Rollers (Wink Martindale) (3am-3:30am) & Wipeout (Peter Tomarken) (3:30am-4am) will Replace Family Feud & Hollywood Squares. Sunday 9am: Body Language (Tom Kennedy) will Replace Password. I Hope I Like It. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha.

FROM: Game show network [E-Mail]
DATE: Thursday December 5, 2002 -- 4:25:27 am
By The Way On Febuary 4th 2003, Game Show Network is Making More Changes to their Programming Schedule. 11:30am: Classic Concentration (Alex Trebek) will Replace Win, Lose or Draw. 12pm: Tic Tac Dough (Wink Martindale) will Replace Family Feud (Richard Dawson). 2:30pm: The Joker's Wild (Jack Barry) will Replace Hollywood Squares (Peter Marshall). Weekends Overnights 3-4am: High Rollers (Wink Martindale) (3am-3:30am) & Wipeout (Peter Tomarken) (3:30am-4am) will Replace Family Feud & Hollywood Squares. Sunday 9am: Body Language (Tom Kennedy) will Replace Password. I Hope I Like It. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha.

FROM: John Lomain
DATE: Tuesday October 5, 2004 -- 1:11:18 pm
Cool. Have to think of one for the Bob Eubanks one.

cjvarner January 14, 2008, 9:26 pm

THE WHOLE BOTTLE OF BOOZE WILL BE DOWNED WHEN ONE WATCHES NORMA BROWN’S EPISODE WITH THIS GAME IN EFFECT