The Story About Ping was about a duck, not this website.

April 19th, 2002

Unfortunate Typo

When I saw the following headline in The Washington Post‘s Parade supplement, I figured it was going to comment on music therapy for breast cancer patients. After reading the paragraph accompanying the picture, I realized that, nope — it was a hell of a typo.

Post typo

I’d hate to be that woman. The one with the savage breasts.

Posted in Just Plain Odd

FROM: Patrick
DATE: Friday April 19, 2002 -- 8:08:01 am
I know a better way to soothe the savage breast.

FROM: Paul [E-Mail]
DATE: Friday April 19, 2002 -- 8:12:04 am
I don't think it's a typo, honestly - the quote really is "...to sooth the savage breast."

FROM: Dave
DATE: Friday April 19, 2002 -- 8:32:08 am
Ryan - You might hate to be her, but I bet we would all like to see "the savage breasts"

FROM: Tina
DATE: Friday April 19, 2002 -- 8:44:16 am
A friend of mine prides herself on the fact that she ONLY reads the "Parade" section on Sunday mornings.

DATE: Friday April 19, 2002 -- 9:19:54 am
Paul -- Hm... that's interesting... I had never heard the phrase before, but apparently it's normal. However, "to soothe the savage beast" is definitely more common (a quick Google search confirms). Interestingly, it looks like the majority of the uses with the word "breast" refer to music.

So ignore me. Apparently, it's not a typo. And I'm a big dummyhead.

FROM: Paul [E-Mail]
DATE: Friday April 19, 2002 -- 9:45:51 am
Don't worry about it Ryan - we still love you.

Incidentally, I was in a band called The Savage Breasts. Great Ramones tribute band.

FROM: Robert [E-Mail]
DATE: Friday April 19, 2002 -- 2:18:38 pm
Are the savage breasts related to the vagina dentada?

FROM: Elizabeth
DATE: Friday April 19, 2002 -- 10:11:10 pm
Wow, more unbelievably shitty responses. Twice in the same week.

FROM: Robert [E-Mail]
DATE: Saturday April 20, 2002 -- 11:19:30 am
Since when was this the Daily Puritan?

FROM: Maria
DATE: Sunday April 21, 2002 -- 3:52:30 am
Speaking of typos, in one of my journalism classes, we were told to be very careful when spelling the word "public." To illustrate, the professor showed us a copy of a headline about the Pope giving a "pubic address."

FROM: Big Fat Lizard
DATE: Friday June 14, 2002 -- 5:43:09 am
Did you READ the article though? Music will calm you down - it can help pump you up - and you can dance off stress...(your favorite dancing music will do this) - If you want to just feel good - and not relate to anything (get in a normal mood) - listen to new wave instrumental - stuff like Spyro Gyra is best for my style...it's just plain..."nothings wrong" kind of feeling...From some ugly nasty 2Pac to get you mad to some Fleetwoods "mr. Blue" to put you to sleep - the article rings true...and music ultimately affects EVERYONE'S mood! That's why I have such a passion for it... - Lizard