Fred "Rerun" Barry once commented here.

April 18th, 2002

McStalled

Interesting. Investors are starting to shy away from McDonald’s, because they haven’t met their earnings for 4 of the last 6 quarters. While I’m not an investor, this type of thing is interesting.

The article attributes the current stall at Mickey D’s to fast growth (duh!) and expanding too quickly (no duh!) In 1998, McDonald’s instituted their “Made for You” campaign and service technique in which foods would be made as fresh as possible. But the Fortune article points out that the system has been a big failure and, what’s this?, the system is based on computers running Pentium IIIs.

No offense, but why does McDonald’s even need P3s? Couldn’t the system run on 486s? I bet they’re Dells, even.

All kidding aside, McDonald’s simply grew very quickly and now are hitting a big, big pleateau. It’s going to be up to them to either make new products and offer new services, or simply start contracting. This type of thing can happen to any big chain which grows too fast without putting much thought into stabilization. Of course, Wal-Mart adapted a similar philosophy; they intend to blanket the nation with stores and then sacrifice the poor-performing ones.

While McDonald’s didn’t appear to have that plan in mind, it could very well happen – leaving more people out of jobs, fewer low-paying jobs, and a rather ugly blemish on the American suburban countryside.

Posted in Miscellaneous

DATE: Thursday April 18, 2002 -- 12:15:11 am
Paul-
I think you meant to say they met the weight of 4 of their last 6 Quarter-Pounders.

DATE: Thursday April 18, 2002 -- 12:33:59 am
Only semi-related, but I've noticed that McDonald's commercials as of late have been nothing short of awful. Sure, they've always been relatively inane, but the two I have in mind are among the worst I've seen in recent memory. The first is where a couple is at a stop light and they complain about how long the light has been red. When it turns green, the guy starts to think about McDonald's new "Green" menu. Huh?

The other I saw for the first time tonight: it makes use of a Spice Girls' song. Since when is using a song that stopped being popular well over three years ago a way to sell burgers?

DATE: Thursday April 18, 2002 -- 1:16:42 am
Ryan- I saw that spice girls one tonight, or actually heard it while I wsa looking at the City Paper. I was also thinking the same thing.

FROM: Paul [E-Mail]
DATE: Thursday April 18, 2002 -- 8:18:07 am
Their commercials have gotten really bad, and I think that's just indicative of the woes McD's currently has. That Spice Girls commercial is just awful. I can't wait for commercials featuring No Doubt songs....

FROM: Greg
DATE: Thursday April 18, 2002 -- 1:52:04 pm
It's silly to think that a company can consistantly make more money than the previous quarter. It can be done but it's very, very difficult

I really do enjoy the 49 cent cheese burger day though.

Can you imagine seeing a commercial for McD's using No Doubt? Some how I don't think "Walking into spider webs..." is something you want to hear when thinking about food.

DATE: Thursday April 18, 2002 -- 1:54:07 pm
Paul- Just thought I would let you know that the NBA has a new commercial with No Doubt in it.

FROM: Monica
DATE: Thursday April 18, 2002 -- 3:46:05 pm
this week's edition of the Onion has a good article here. The scary thing is that there's a ring of truth to it.

FROM: fresh
DATE: Thursday April 18, 2002 -- 6:19:33 pm
paul or ryan, are dells shitty comps? just wunderin

DATE: Friday April 19, 2002 -- 12:24:35 am
Fresh- I have a Dell it is an excellent computer. I believe I am only using about 20% of it's capacity, and don't really know what else I can add to it.

FROM: Big Fat Lizard
DATE: Friday June 14, 2002 -- 5:31:32 am
I've worked at McD's in the 80's and I seen what they're doing now...It's COMPLETELY a different kitchen...the whole concept used to be cook the burger - bun - put the ingredients on it - and send it to the front to be wrapped - TODAY they have fancy "steamers" to keep meat warm for hrs, and "warming cabinets" to keep the cooked buns warm for hrs...and these wonderful new devices "suck the taste" out of the burger...why? because technically it's a half a day old - and it's been cooking ALL DAY. Uhhh...hey George McFly....it only takes THREE minutes to cook TWELVE burgers (in the old days) but kids don't want to do the "hustle" during peak times anymore - they're too lazy - and won't perform that way when I was a kid...I remember "running" to get everything done - constantly - because I could serve 10 people in 5 minutes...you don't see that today...they take about 4-5 minutes PER customer today - they've lost SPEED - AND - most of all FRESHNESS! -

Even the burger you cook on your grill that's you may wrap and stick in your fridge and eat two days later is better - because you DON'T cook a burger -OR- it's bun...ALL DAY!

HEY MCDONALDS "IT'S NOT SPAGHETTI SAUCE!!!"

FROM: Big Fat Lizard
DATE: Friday June 14, 2002 -- 5:32:04 am

HEY MCDONALDS "IT'S NOT SPAGHETTI SAUCE!!!"

FROM: Mike B.
DATE: Thursday July 4, 2002 -- 12:02:00 pm
Wendy's is better than McDonalds any day. Unrelated: I think Home Depot os growing too fast too. There used to be one near my home--now there are literally about eight--well, seven, because they haven't finished it yet.