This Ping redesign took 7 years and cost $58 million in taxpayer dollars.

January 8th, 2004

When Fast Food Restaurants Collide

Last week, I saw the most bizarre thing I had ever seen. In Aurora, Colorado, we drove by a relatively new shopping plaza with – ready? – a KFC/ Taco Bell/ Pizza Hut. In one building.

At Yum! Brands, I’m sure that their execs are salivating over this one. Three restaurants in one building! Triple the choice! Amazing! And I’m sure they’re working on a way to add in their remaining two restaurants, so we can have a KFC/ Taco Bell/ Pizza Hut/ Long John Silver’s/ A&W. (Root beer with your nachos?)

However, the most bizarre thing is yet to be revealed. This restaurant offered combo meals. No. Combo meals. I could order a personal pan pizza with 2 tacos. I could get chicken strips with breadsticks. Or a chicken strip-based taco product with nachos. Madness, I tell you! Madness!

It’s a little scary when we have three restaurants in one place without a food court, isn’t it?

Posted in Everyday Life

FROM: Rob Wiltbank
DATE: Thursday January 8, 2004 -- 8:49:08 am
They've had Taco Bell/KFC combo's around Delaware for a while now --- it's kind of a nice thing when you're having a really odd craving day.

But it's a nice benefit of one company owning those three -- it's just amazing they had the foresight to try to munge them all together.

FROM: Chris [E-Mail]
DATE: Thursday January 8, 2004 -- 9:22:58 am
Chicken Taco Pizza...

That actually sounds pretty good. Instead of combining menus, they need to combine ingredients!

WE've had KFC / Taco Bells around here for a while, but I'vew never seen a three way.

FROM: Rob [E-Mail]
DATE: Thursday January 8, 2004 -- 9:28:11 am
There's a three way one somewhere around here. There are also a couple combinations of two of them, but I know I've seen a 3 way, too, since I was tempted to get a pizza and some tacos and a biscuit at some point.

DATE: Thursday January 8, 2004 -- 9:49:24 am
I love the 3-Way fast food places. Chicken Soft Tacos and Personal Pan Pizza all in the same place. NICE!!

While we see the KFC/Taco Bell combo in Delaware for awhile now, I havent seen the KFC/TB/Pizza Hut Combo since I was living in Lynchburg. It was right across from the station where I worked, and made for many a pleasant evening of munching. :)

FROM: Chris [E-Mail]
DATE: Thursday January 8, 2004 -- 10:54:12 am
I alerted a friend who works for Yum! about todays Ping, but can't really make public comment on company policy.

However, he told me you can expect to start seeing a lot more 2 in 1 stores, particularly Taco Bell / Long John Silvers in places that have never had LJS in the past.

Fish Tacos. Yum! indeed.

FROM: Greg
DATE: Thursday January 8, 2004 -- 11:02:50 am
They had a hard enough time getting my order right when there was one restaurant in one building. I'm afraid I am going to pull into the drive through, order a pizza and get a bucket of chicken instead.

DATE: Thursday January 8, 2004 -- 11:06:18 am
The two best combo restuarants ever are: 1) White Castle/Churches Chicken and 2) A&W/Long John Silvers. There is an A&W/LJS combo in Richmond, which I have eaten at with Robert. Ryan and I spotted the White Castle/Churches Chicken combo in New Jersey once, and I have seen more of them in Tennessee.

FROM: Barbara
DATE: Thursday January 8, 2004 -- 11:50:03 am
In Georgia we have a Baskin Robbins/Quizno's/Dunkin Doughnuts and Taco Bell/KFC, but I have yet to see the splendor of the Taco Bell/KFC/Pizza Hut.

FROM: Rob [E-Mail]
DATE: Thursday January 8, 2004 -- 12:21:52 pm
We have something similar to Barbara's, as well, but it's a Baskin Robbins/Togo's/Dunkin Doughnuts.

DATE: Thursday January 8, 2004 -- 12:39:32 pm
Yeah, I've seen the Baskin Robbins/ ToGo's/ Dunkin' Donuts before. That in and of itself is somewhat scary. ("Donut with your hot sandwich?")

DATE: Thursday January 8, 2004 -- 3:12:49 pm
Of course, you don't really need a two in one style place if you have a Sheetz nearby..

For 'research purposes', I ate lunch at a local KFC/Taco Bell, and got the Chicken Strips/Taco Combo. 2 Large Chicken Strips, 2 Tacos, Potato Wedges and a drink for 4.29. Not too shabby. I didn't feel like making the combo a large, which for 89 cents, adds another taco and makes it a large drink. Geez. I'd be in the gym for 8 hours if I did that...

DATE: Thursday January 8, 2004 -- 3:55:38 pm
Ahhhh.......Baskin Robbins and Dunkin' Donuts......we have neither in my county. To have them together would be a dream for me.

DATE: Thursday January 8, 2004 -- 6:06:38 pm
A woman who wants donuts and ice cream at the same time is a woman after my own heart. ;)

FROM: dave
DATE: Thursday January 8, 2004 -- 6:23:52 pm
My personal favorite is the KFC/Panda Express - mmm, Kentucky Fried Panda...

FROM: Robert [E-Mail]
DATE: Thursday January 8, 2004 -- 7:04:44 pm
Fish Tacos. Yum! indeed.

I'm glad I didn't have to make that joke.

Matt: In addition to the A&W/LJS there's not an LJS/KFC on Broad.

FROM: Robert [E-Mail]
DATE: Thursday January 8, 2004 -- 7:04:55 pm
I mean "now."

FROM: jason
DATE: Thursday January 8, 2004 -- 7:53:07 pm
I remember a place like that in Coronado, CA, back around '92, and what I remember best was that people liked to call it "KenTacoHut"

FROM: aharris
DATE: Thursday January 8, 2004 -- 8:28:35 pm
"I'll have the most expensive thing stuffed w/ the second most expensive thing."

"Very well, lobster stuffed with tacos coming right up."

FROM: Ray
DATE: Friday January 9, 2004 -- 4:41:09 pm
We used to call the KFC/Taco Bell places "Cornel Sanchez"

FROM: Aaron [E-Mail]
DATE: Sunday January 11, 2004 -- 7:42:29 pm
I hope "Colonel Sanchez" doesn't have a "dirty sanchez" on the menu.

FROM: Check It Out!
DATE: Friday January 27, 2006 -- 10:21:14 am
There is a KFC/Long John Silvers in Sycamore, IL along Route 23 which used to be just a KFC (before they gave it a makeover).

Paul January 18, 2011, 1:26 pm

Unfortunately (?), Yum is selling off A&W and Long John Silver’s, thus killing the dream of having five restaurants in one.

This also explains why a few local A&W/KFC combinations switched over to just KFC. That, and A&W sucks.