The original Ping was painfully written in Perl.

July 6th, 2004

Windshield Wiper Slacker

Last week, after making a cross-country trip just a month earlier, I finally replaced the windshield wipers on my car.

When I opened up the package I noticed a small, handy reminder form at the bottom of the insert. I was instructed to cut it out, circle the month and year I purchased the wipers, and place it in my glove box. The form also said, “Change your wipers every six months.” My initial reaction was, “That sounds about right.” But I also remembered that the front wipers on the car hadn’t been changed in, probably, about a year. The rear wiper? At least 18 or 20 months.

Am I the only one who puts a really low priority on wipers? It’s pretty much a situation where if they are dying, leaving streaks, making things worse, etc. then it’s time to get new ones – but not really before that.

I’m going to change my ways, though. Every six months, by hook or by crook, I’m going to enjoy some new wipers. They help me stay off the sidewalks.

Posted in Cars

FROM: Chris [E-Mail]
DATE: Tuesday July 6, 2004 -- 11:47:57 am
I change mine when I notice that I can't see in the rain anymore.

DATE: Tuesday July 6, 2004 -- 2:14:46 pm
Even when new, I find most wipers, even the expensive ones, suck. The only reprieve I've found from sucky blades is Tripledge. They live up to the claims. I don't know if they're even in business anymore. I got mine at the dollar store : )

I bought about five pairs and am still on the first set after about five years. They have a lifetime guarantee.

DATE: Tuesday July 6, 2004 -- 2:25:55 pm
Tripledge at the Dollar Store? I remember when they used to sell those on late night infomercials for $19.99 a pop!

Whatever the price, they are some of the best blades I've ever used. Buy Tripledge if you can find em.

DATE: Tuesday July 6, 2004 -- 2:25:55 pm

DATE: Tuesday July 6, 2004 -- 3:30:35 pm
Yeah, I remember the commercials, which is why I jumped on them at the dollar store.

DATE: Tuesday July 6, 2004 -- 3:30:40 pm

FROM: Robert [E-Mail]
DATE: Tuesday July 6, 2004 -- 6:08:32 pm
Dave and Joseph: Tripledge means triple posting. You quit at double posting!

DATE: Tuesday July 6, 2004 -- 6:25:56 pm
I did it by accident -- Joseph? ;)

FROM: Monty Python
DATE: Tuesday July 6, 2004 -- 7:27:05 pm
You know, Deja Vu - the strange feeling you've done, been or read something before?

You know, Deja Vu - the strange feeling you've done, been or read something be... *WHACK*

DATE: Tuesday July 6, 2004 -- 8:09:23 pm
Every six months? Bah! I've had my car nearly six years and I've changed my wipers exactly twice, the second time only because I had to change them to pass inspection.

I'm with Chris -- I use them until they're no longer effective, period.

FROM: Rafael
DATE: Thursday July 8, 2004 -- 12:48:35 pm
I use Rain X Invisible Windshield Wiper all the time and I hardly ever use my windshield wipers, the rain just glides right off. I love this product!!!

DATE: Thursday July 8, 2004 -- 2:39:51 pm

Then they went and made Fog-X. I wonder if this was to remedy the problems caused by Rain-X. I didn't find the Fog-X to work, either.

I use them until they're no longer effective

Ryan, "no longer effective" is a relative term. If you live in an area where you don't particularly get much rain and don't have a lot of pollution, you probably can get years out of a set. In Louisiana, where I lived for many years, it rains all the time and wipers don't generally last a year. In the Northeast, the rain isn't bad, and neither is the pollution, but the ice in winter builds up on the windshield, and you usually end up breaking the stupid things while chipping your way to the windshield. Also, there are certain brands, even non Tripledge, that definitely last longer--but the rubber is harder in order to last, and they never really work that well anyway--sort of like all season tires. Sure they last, but the harder rubber means less grip. Softer rubber wipers work better, but for a shorter period of time.

Those Tripledges seem to have figured it all out. Great wiping characteristics and long lasting. That's a great combination for windshield wipers, and toilet paper, for that matter.

FROM: Robert
DATE: Thursday July 15, 2004 -- 2:49:48 pm
TriplEdge wipers are available at Wal-Mart and Kmart.

FROM: Aaron
DATE: Tuesday March 15, 2005 -- 11:26:11 am
5 years? No way. Mine didn't last nearly that long. The problem is the frame breaks down even though the blades last. Once that happens is doesn't matter how good the blades are because they don't make good contact anymore. I bought a new one and the difference was obvious. They don't last a lifetime.

DATE: Tuesday March 15, 2005 -- 2:51:31 pm
YMMV. Mine are still intact and almost another year has gone by.

When did you buy yours? Perhaps the penny pinchers have budgeted the quality out in the years since I bought mine. If the average set lasted this long under these conditions, they can't stay in business. It's like that old Gilette razor blade that never dulled. After about two years, they pulled it off the market because no one was buying new blades.

Mine are so good that I'm sort of feeling like I wasted money by buying the extra sets. Of course, I've lost them by now either in the garage or the basement.

DATE: Sunday April 24, 2005 -- 2:37:07 pm
"I've used Rain-X, and I'm not the only one who has complained that though it knocks the rain off, it keeps the fog on. Seriously, you're window won't have any rain on it, but it'll never be crystal clear again either. It will seem perpetually slightly fogged.

Nothing I tried got rid of the "X" products either. I was happy when the windshield broke and I had to replace it with another. Crystal clear roads again--for only $357.26. "

First of all, don't lie. A new windshield.. no matter what kind of a car it is.. will never run you 357 bucks unless you took it to the dealer or something... which in my opinion is of lower quality than the windshields done by private companies.

Secondly, maybe you just don't know how to use the product, but rain-x and their anti fog products work great. Can't get it off?? HUH? It wears off after a season or so.. don't know what your problem is. Also.. maybe you didn't read the instructions.. but the anti-fog goes on the INSIDE of the windshield. Ive seen too many people put it on the outside and then scratch their head wondering why it isnt working. If you applied it correctly it should work.. unless you just have a real nasty film on your windshield prior to applying the product.

Ok back on track.. wipers. I am pretty lazy about these. As long as they arn't squeeking so loud i go deaf, i keep them. Tho my dad is even worse.. he doesn't replace them until they start shredding lol. I live in Fresno.. it doesnt rain much (this year an exception).. so i don't like spending 20 bucks on a quality pair of wipers.. all to use them 4 or 5 times and then let the 110 degree summer heat cook them off. I think i'll change soon tho. My friend just hooked his buick up with a pair of $22 wipers (45 for the pair) and some special washer fluid stuff... just for the heck of it.. we didnt really expect to see a huge difference.. wow.. we did. Not sure if it was the wipers or the fluid but the car does a better job of cleaning itself than it does if we were to get out and clean it off ourselves.

DATE: Monday April 25, 2005 -- 9:51:31 am
Matt,

The least you could do when you accuse someone of lying is actually quote who they are.

If you don't believe my story, you don't have to, but that doesn't make me a liar.

I did use the Rain-X and the Fog-X exactly as directed on the product's packaging. But there are other variables. I lived in New Orleans, which can be a very harsh climate for a car because it's so hot and humid. It's possible that the products were not tested under such conditions.

Auto paint fades quicker, plastic parts dry and crack, rubber splits, fabric disintegrates, dashboards cave in and headliners sag in New Orleans at rates much higher there than in other places--though the lack of road salt allows the cars to live much longer.

Things happen to cars there that don't happen anywhere else in my experience. Almost every 1980s era GM car that was more than five years old had a sagged headliner. These headliners don't sag anywhere else, or if they do, it's not so common that there's a headliner shop on every street corner (it seems).

Here's an easy quote I found that disproves your comment.

Does that make you a liar? Or just an asshole?

DATE: Monday April 25, 2005 -- 9:54:21 am
I see the quoted link doesn't work, but a new windshield from a cheapo internet windshield place, windshield.net, for a 1975 Porsche 911 costs $355.19 installed in zip code 70118.

What do you say now, jerk?

DATE: Monday April 25, 2005 -- 10:26:26 am
Here's a person who has had the same experience with Fog-X as I've had, and he put it on the inside of his windshield.

This crap would make the window fog up in weather when an uncoated window would never fog up.

Before you suggest it, yes, I cleaned the windows before I put it on, per the package's instructions.

FROM: tony
DATE: Friday March 24, 2006 -- 3:47:51 pm
For what it's worth, I find the Rain-X windshield treatment very effective. I have noticed that the Rain-X does leave a greasy residue when you apply it, but if I buff it per directions, and then again the next time I wash the car it seems to be clear to my eyes. I've been using Rain-X since the 70s. I've never noticed the fogging you've mentioned, maybe the second buffing would help. Each application lasts a few months before it's gone.

BTW, I live in Florida and it's at least as harsh as New Orleans if not worse....and you are completely correct in saying that paint, plastics, etc. do not last like the do in more temperate climates.

My .02
Tony

FROM: Wood
DATE: Friday April 21, 2006 -- 12:37:33 am
Regarding a HIGH Quality PPG Windshield.

They do cost MORE than $350. I have one in a Crown Victoria LX.

RainX for your windhield is nothing more than a Wax for glass. Pilots use them in Airplanes, Truckers use it. Off shore Racing Yachts use it. It is a proven product.

Yes, it sometimes can fog in places of High Humidity. I run my A/C to eliminate that problem when high humidity is eveident. Again, it depends on your location as to whether this will occur. Nver have gotten that fogX stuff to work. I just watered down my sample package of it & made windshield cleaner. RainX Ultra Wax worked pretty good, now I hear they have discontinued both the paste & the liquid version. My experience was with the liquid Ultra Wax, went on as mooth as Meguire's & was comparable in shine. Don't know how long it will last though.

Tom Sellars September 6, 2007, 1:43 am

I also found Rain-X caused a “foggy” sort of streaking when used and regreted ever trying it.

– TOm

Mike Morrissette November 22, 2007, 7:32 pm

RainX bug remover ruined the paint on hood of my new Toyota. First it damaged the electric washers,this caused the rainx bug remover to drip from the sprayers out on my hood which destroyed the paint|