Apple did not consult with us when they named Ping, Ping.

August 3rd, 2005

The Golden Palace

Long ago, I admitted that I’ve been a Golden Girls fan since childhood. But even with my rabid fandom and wanting to take Bea Arthur as my second wife, I never saw any episodes of the short-lived follow-up series The Golden Palace. The show ran for one season (or less) after Dorothy left and featured Sophia, Rose, and Blanche running a hotel in Miami. It also starred Don Cheadle (!) and Cheech Marin (!!).

Thankfully, Lifetime is now showing episodes of The Golden Palace twice a day, so I can finally see this show I missed the first time around. And since I’ve seen every episode of The Golden Girls about a hundred times, it’s kind of nice to see something new (to me).

While it’s one of those shows that reeks of all the negative qualities of a spin-off, the three main characters remain similar enough to the original show that it’s somewhat entertaining. Throw in last night’s episode with Bobcat Goldthwait and an admittedly humorous marijuana reference with Cheech, and it was still an entertaining enough 22 minutes. We’ll see if subsequent episodes hold up.

Posted in Television, Movies, and Music

FROM: Dave
DATE: Wednesday August 3, 2005 -- 11:17:19 am
Yea.. I watched it for the first time last night and it looked pretty funny although I can see why it was short lived.

FROM: dave
DATE: Wednesday August 3, 2005 -- 3:42:11 pm
Oh, you tease...I thought this would be about GoldenPalace.com! I can't get enough of their omnipresent wacky advertising!

FROM: aharris
DATE: Wednesday August 3, 2005 -- 3:50:59 pm
I thought this would be about the GoldenPalace massage palace in SF that got shut down in the nationwide sting...

go figure.

I so remember Don Cheadle being on this show. I thought he was a good actor even back then. And then, I'm not kidding you, later when I saw him on Pickett Fences I thought to myself, 'isn't that the guy from Golden Palace?'

Well ok, to call him a good actor based on his performance on that show is pushing it. But I vividly recall that he was one of the most charasmatic things about it.

FROM: snaily
DATE: Wednesday August 3, 2005 -- 6:12:05 pm
ive never watched it. maybe ill try some day...

FROM: Aanen
DATE: Friday August 5, 2005 -- 11:37:39 am
I remember watching that show when I was little.

FROM: Frank
DATE: Sunday August 7, 2005 -- 6:10:12 pm

I LOVE the Golden Girls and am currently recording the Golden Palace on DVD for my private collection. Should be a collector's item, and who knows when if ever it will air again!

FROM: FSG Addict
DATE: Sunday August 7, 2005 -- 7:46:15 pm
Heh, I never heard of the show, and turned on the TV the other day, and it was on, and I saw the Cheech/Goldthwait one. It was pretty funny... :)

FROM: Laurie
DATE: Thursday August 11, 2005 -- 3:48:22 am
I just came across this show this past week too. At first I thought that it was a new series Lifetime was doing, but as I watched the show, I started thinking, Rose, Blanche and Sophia sure did look like they hadn't aged, plus I think Estelle Getty passed away, am I right that she died? I have only seen a few of them, and I liked the one where Sophia was taken away by mistake than the lady with Alzheimers.

DATE: Wednesday November 16, 2005 -- 4:09:26 pm
Late reply, but no -- Estelle Getty has not passed away. She's not doing well, however.

FROM: Blanche
DATE: Wednesday January 25, 2006 -- 8:35:42 pm
I just love the Golden Girls. The older I get, the more I enjoy it. The show was truly not afraid to show that older women are vital and have the same feelings as younger ones.

When I grow up I want to be Blanche. She is just wonderful and sexy. She is who Samantha Jones from Sex In The City will be someday. And I just LOVE Samantha too.

FROM: Greg
DATE: Thursday January 26, 2006 -- 7:42:56 pm
Google

FROM: gay rape [E-Mail]
DATE: Friday June 2, 2006 -- 6:57:37 pm
We are wellocme to it's configuration.

Silje July 7, 2007, 12:27 pm

does anyone know where i can download the golden palace? I live in Norway and they never air it here…. 🙁 I i love the golden girls, i have the whole series,except from this last show….. please help me someone…. my email is siljelarsen23@hotmail.com

Travis September 23, 2007, 10:25 pm

I too am looking to somehow get a copy of golden palace.does anyone know please email me at travisty209@aol.com.
travis

Bradley June 21, 2008, 4:39 am

I loved the show! Bea (Dorothy) guest starred on it for 2 episodes of it. And just so anyone who reads this knows, it wasn’t canceled because of bad ratings. It was canceled because Estelle’s (Sophia) disease (Lewy Body Dementia) prevented her to be able to return for a second season, so they called it quits. Oh, and it ran an entire season: 24 episodes. And they are all now available on You Tube! Amazingly someone has tapped them all off from TV and posted them there! Here’s the URL:

Hope you guys all likey!

Bradley