There were rumors of a Ping book, but those were started on the internet.

March 6th, 2000

I remember when PCs were measured in megahertz!

That’s what we’ll be saying in a year or two. Really. AMD released their 1.0GHz Athlon chip today (although it costs a lot), and the Intel P3 version is not far behind.

It’s funny, because my first computer – a Commodore VIC-20 – ran at 0.5Hz, if I recall correctly. The Commodore 64 ran at 1Hz, and the 128 was the speed demon at 2Hz.

Do we need all this speed? Well, we might in the coming years. But I think a lot of it is just being crammed down our throats. -pm

Posted in Technology

DATE: Monday March 6, 2000 -- 1:54:07PM
Wow ... I thought this wasn't supposed to even hit the market until summer. This'll work out very well with my plan of a new-PC-by-July! I can buy a 1gHz AMD then and not pay out the nose for it...

You know, I doubt the speed of the processor is as important as the speed of the hard drive (where performance really starts to degrade), but it's nice to know that they can push processors to that point.

FROM: Aaron
DATE: Monday March 6, 2000 -- 3:38:34PM
In almost all cases, I'll take more RAM over processor speed.

I agree with Ryan, it seems that IO-bound operations are the most common. I also find myself in situations where I'll run out of RAM rather than be in some 100% CPU computation task.

DATE: Monday March 6, 2000 -- 7:31:50PM
The funny thing is, we'll probably be talking about GB for memory soon, at this rate. Screw this giga stuff; give me terra!

FROM: Tony
DATE: Tuesday May 16, 2000 -- 5:52:56AM
I think though we will have hardrives made totally of RAM, and not need plain , platter-based drives.

FROM:
DATE: Saturday January 1, 2005 -- 2:13:49 pm

Paul March 7, 2010, 11:58 pm

Man, those last two comments are prophetic. Nice job, Tony and me!