We've only had four major designs over our 11 year history.

August 26th, 2000

TicketMaster still stinks.

Easy, easy premise here: I want two tickets for Blue Man Group next week. I figure I’ll get them online, and save some time. The only game in town is, of course, TicketMaster.

So I go to check on ticket availability and it’s just fine. I have the option of getting them via US Mail for no delivery charge, and the TicketMaster fee is $5.50. Acceptable. I’m not ready to order yet, though, so I hold off.

Two days later, I want to recheck availability. Now, US Mail isn’t an option – the cheapest method is UPS Ground, which’ll cost me $12.00. That’s on top of the $5.50 service charge per ticket, and each ticket is $49. This is okay, but not as great. I figure I’ll eat it and buy the tix the next day. So, I logged on to the site yesterday. Same tickets still available, which is great. But now, the cheapest shipping option is 2-Day UPS, which costs $18. Totally unacceptable.

I still wanted the tickets. What did I do? I stopped by a Dominick’s on the way home and got both tickets for $110. I would’ve paid another $17 for the luxury of having it delivered to my door. Is it worth it? I didn’t think so. Cutting down shipping options on the fly was probably done to cover their butts in case the delivery didn’t make it, but what TM should really do is adopt the same model Ryan talked about yesterday: I buy the tix online, I go to a local TM outlet to actually get them. -pm

Posted in Consumer Commentary

DATE: Saturday August 26, 2000 -- 1:16:00AM
I ordered WWF tickets recently and they had an option to pick them up at the "Will Call" window, as well as US Mail, etc... and this was through TicketMaster (one of the longest-running rip-offs in the industry).

FROM: Robert
DATE: Saturday August 26, 2000 -- 2:28:05AM
I haven't been to a major event in years so I've been lucky to avoid their shennanigans. But that last time I did use TicketMastur I ordered two tickets to see Slayer over the phone. For some reason, they think a phone order warrants and additional $5 charge. From now on, stadium shows can suck off. If I can get tix at the window, I ain't going. Dio bless underground metal...

FROM: Tony
DATE: Saturday August 26, 2000 -- 9:49:07AM
I paid $5.00 just to pick up the $28 tickets I got to see "Weird Al" Why is there a fee, when I pick them up? Ticket Master sucks.

FROM: Robert
DATE: Saturday August 26, 2000 -- 7:24:21PM
I forgot to add: Corporate rock still sucks!!!!!

FROM: Terry Murphy
DATE: Saturday August 26, 2000 -- 8:26:30PM
Paul - Obviously, the longer you wait until the show, the quicker shipping you will need (which will be correspondingly more costly). I don't quite understand what you expect. The high shipping costs are not Ticketmaster's but UPS's. OK, perhaps picking it up would be easier, but then why order online? Or why not an e-ticket?

Perhaps the only real issue here is why Blue Man Group thinks they can get away with charging $49 for a show.

DATE: Saturday August 26, 2000 -- 9:11:44PM
Yes I too become very angry at how much extra money ticketmaster rips our asses off for. Luckily the only times I have to pay service charges nowadays are for pro-wrestling events, which I have cut back on since the big two blow very much nowadays. God-bless ECW though, they come into the area ocassionally and tickets are usually still available at the door.

DATE: Saturday August 26, 2000 -- 9:55:08PM
Terry, what I expect is still being able to select US Mail as an option. Clearly, the processing end doesn't take long, as they can send it out overnight if I want. I was looking at these tickets about 14 days or so in advance of the show. In theory, I should be able to buy the tix four days before the show and still receive them via US Mail.

Ordering online and then picking it up would at least reserve those tickets for me, pretty much like the current system works. E-tickets aren't available in the Chicago area to the best of my knowledge for just about any event.

And, I had no problem paying $49 for front-row seats.

I know the USPS is bad, but even they can exhibit competence.

DATE: Saturday August 26, 2000 -- 10:03:06PM
Paul -- You're right, 14 days in advance, there's NO excuse for not offering Priority Mail. Especially since right on the Ticketmaster site it says that they mail the tickets the next business day.

FROM: Terry Murphy
DATE: Sunday August 27, 2000 -- 1:43:00AM
Paul - OK, I didn't realize it was 14 days in advance, I thought it was more like just a few days. _I_ wouldn't trust USPS for anything two weeks or less, but if they said "use at your own risk", it'd be OK.

That said, if they really don't offer will call for internet purchases, then that is really dumb. That would be by far the easiest solution.

FROM: Jessica
DATE: Sunday August 27, 2000 -- 6:41:54AM
Hey Paul!

I just saw Blue Man Group last week in Las Vegas and it was awesome. I paid 60 dollars for almost last row seats and I'd do it again.

Have fun.

DATE: Sunday August 27, 2000 -- 9:39:17AM
Terry, cool. :) I looked at the original Ping and realized I had said that the show was a week in advance, but that wasn't the case.

My feelings with the USPS kinda vary... so a "use at your own risk" option as you suggested would be nice.

Guess what? I checked out the site early this morning for the heck of it - Will Call is now available! LOL.

...

Jessica, if that's the case I can't wait to see it in the front row. :)

FROM: Wyndi
DATE: Tuesday May 29, 2001 -- 6:32:17AM
This is a new comment to an OLD thread...question is...if you could create the perfect ticket company how would you run it? PLEASE e-mail all comments to callhersunshine@aol.com

FROM: Robert
DATE: Tuesday May 29, 2001 -- 8:42:31AM
First, I would solicit ideas from internet wackos . . .

DATE: Tuesday May 29, 2001 -- 8:57:30AM
The first thing I would do is not slap "service charges" on customers for buying from you, like it's some sort of major privelege.

FROM: Stuart
DATE: Thursday April 25, 2002 -- 2:58:39 pm
I got tickets for a show off ebay, and when i received them i noticed there was no convenience charge on the tickets. How is this possible??? How many sexual favors must be performed to TM before i dont have to pay the ridiculous charge?........so it goes.

FROM: Mike Irked
DATE: Monday July 29, 2002 -- 12:15:28 am
bought ticks for TMBG and besides the 6 dollars TM ripped me off for there was also a 3.25 convience charge, WTF is that aboutwhats the 6 bucks for then? i think its about time to organize an e-mail protest... tell all your freinds and have them e-mail TM every time they are online. If everyone does this TM will no longer be able to function electronically without lowering prices... Sincerly Pissed

DATE: Monday July 29, 2002 -- 9:15:07 am
DoS -- the happy, fun way to get your point across!

FROM: nathan
DATE: Monday November 11, 2002 -- 9:15:46 am
fuck ticket master in the ass with a pirates peg-leg. I ordered tickets to see the residents in ATL 3 weeks ago. I was emailed a comfirmation that SAYS us mail delivery. They put it in their computers as pick up at the window. The person whose credit card I used isn't going. They won't let me pick up the tickets without her. Bastards. They said they'd email me the tickets for AN ADDTIONAL CHARGE!!. They fucked up!! NOT ME!! It's 9:30 am, the show is at 8:00 pm tonight. I'm gonna kill those lousy fucks!!

FROM: Occiput
DATE: Saturday November 23, 2002 -- 2:24:30 pm
I have been boycotting Ticketmaster for a year now. The last time I used them, I was charged $7.30 for a ticket with a face value of $15.00. I will either drive to the box office of the event or just miss the show. To me, missing a show or two is worth them not getting one red cent of my money. I hope others will do the same and maybe they will go out of business.

FROM: butcher [E-Mail]
DATE: Tuesday April 22, 2003 -- 12:49:40 am
It was asked earlier in the thread how to create the perfect ticket service. Try www.BrownPaperTickets.com It is free to the venue - yup, no registration, setup or other weird fees. And the charge to the ticket buyer is only 1.5% and 99cents! The people are helpful, and the damn thing just worked great for me. Both as a venue and a ticket buyer.

See your shows!

FROM: Troy Smoldon
DATE: Tuesday July 22, 2003 -- 7:26:50 pm
I am a customer who is getting the run around from Ticketmaster because I am trying to get a refund due to the fact that when Ozzfest recently came through the Seattle area Ozzy was sick and did not perform.

I am a high school business teacher with an entrepreneurial spirit. I am
all for any business entity making a buck.

However, being an silent advocate for entrepreneurs everywhere, I am
wondering what it would take to bring down Ticketmaster or at least
cripple their grip enough to open the market back up to small companies who
wish to sell tickets?

In my opinion, if juries in this country are stupid enough to reward money
to people who play the victim and claim that they did not know smoking
would give them cancer, then I wonder how many juries would be willing to
gladly help to break up Ticketmasters monopoly?

I seriously thinking of starting a grassroots movement to break up Ticketmaster. I am only one small voice. Anyone who is interested in joining me feel free to email me. **PLEASE BE FORWARNED, IF YOU SPAM ME I WILL REPORT YOUR SORRY ASS TO YOUR ISP!!**

Regards,
Troy

FROM: Paul [E-Mail]
DATE: Saturday April 17, 2004 -- 6:07:59 pm
Any one else freakn' sick of Ticketmaster's fees? I paid over $30 fees for two tickets to Coachella to see The Pixies and Radiohead. Thats Bullsh*t. I took action and made anti-ticketmaster merch! and no I am not making more that $1 off these shirts. Check them out and let me know what you guys think.

FROM: jover32
DATE: Saturday August 14, 2004 -- 2:49:37 am
ok look. for ticketmaster to send tickets via US mail it takes 10 business days. Can't take that? Then dont order. No one is forcing you to order the tickets. If you would have read the faq's on their website, and their privacy policy, you would have read that. It is correct only the convenice charge is what ticketmaster makes as a profit. Everything else goes to the promoter, venues, performers, and UPS!!!! these prices are set by them.

DATE: Saturday August 14, 2004 -- 4:38:43 pm
No one is forcing you to order the tickets.

Yeah, great argument, pal. And it might actually mean something if Ticketmaster didn't monopolize the ticket-selling business.

FROM: Craven Moorehead [E-Mail]
DATE: Sunday October 24, 2004 -- 1:20:09 pm
In addition to the outrageous fees on top of fees, did anyone notice the little disclaimer on the Ticketmaster website right under the email address blank? It says that by submitting your email address, which is required to buy tickets online, you give Ticketmaster the right to send you whatever promotional materials they so desire. Something tells me they sell the addresses to the sleaziest of spammers. So be forewarned, if you buy online, use a real email address but not one you care about (ie hotmail account for junk mail).

FROM:
DATE: Saturday January 1, 2005 -- 2:43:24 pm

FROM: lboughie
DATE: Monday February 14, 2005 -- 8:44:22 pm
FUCK TICKETMASTER! Shit I was thinking of making the long ass drive to Norfolk, VA to catch Maroon 5. Ticket prices, very reasonable ($35 max) plus $1.50 from ODU's center. Very reasonable. TicketMaster's $8.50 "service charge" UNACCEPTABLE!

When the hell will this monopoly be overthrown or reviewed to allow Joe Public a decent shot of purchasing tickets and not being raped with with bullshit "fees". at least be fucking reasonable greedy SOBs! So I say again, FUCK TICKETMASTER!

FROM: your mom
DATE: Friday June 3, 2005 -- 3:04:04 pm
You are retarded there are like a million people trying to get tickets at the same time, but there are only so many seats. You are paying ticketmaster to try and get you tickets, and fight the crowd for you. If you dont like it then go stand in line at the box office.

FROM:
DATE: Friday September 16, 2005 -- 6:19:48 am
what the fuck do you think UPS is free? stop being a bitch and get your tickets early enough for usmail to deliver them. you looked at the tickets two times before ordering them? why? and why order tickets online and then go to a store to pick them up when you can just go to a store and buy them?

ps - blue man group is retarded.

DATE: Friday September 16, 2005 -- 8:11:30 am
If you're going to try to make an insult, you should at least be intelligent.

FROM: SystEm79
DATE: Saturday April 22, 2006 -- 12:32:38 pm
H3ll i've been on there since before the tool tickets went on sale{there was no presale} started at 10 it's 1230 now,i been trying to get even 1 ticket for 2 and half hours,and now they're telling me there are no tickets available for this event,but somehow all these crap places that jack the price of a 66 dollar ticket up to 700 bucks seemed to have got on there and plenty of em.

F*CK TICKETMASTER

Let's Go Postal at Ticketmaster September 24, 2006, 10:08 pm

So, it’s 6 years since this ping was started and TM are still around screwing people? Guess they are a monopoly, just like Microsucks. It’s certainly a f***ing brilliant business model and people are rubbing their hands all the way to the bank.

I ordered Rolling Stones tickets for the first time via TM, and tried to get good seats. So, I do what you would think would be fine on the web – opened multiple browser windows (in fact, two in total)… bzzzzt, thanks for playing; it only keeps the last window’s opened values… so my tickets, while not shit, weren’t as good as an earlier window I’d opened…. worse – the SEATINGS WERE NOT SHOWN in the review screen before pressing “Purchase” (so even though I went back to my “good” seats window to click “purchase”, MY SEATS WERE FROM THE OTHER, SHITTIER WINDOW.

WHERE ELSE IN THE WORLD CAN YOU GET SCAMMED BY NOT RECEIVING WHAT YOU PURCHASED AND NOT HAVE A PLACE TO OBTAIN A $0 COST REFUND?

I wrote a letter of complaint to TM (yes, I actually found the cheese thru the maze). That was 4 weeks ago. I’ve not heard anything. I basically said that they should forewarn people that multi-windows is a no-no, without having to read the War and Peace help files. I also said that the review screen should contain the ticket seating assignments, which weren’t shown until the receipt came up.

Oh and I love the “Give us your email address” sh*t. First spam I got, I wrote to them to remove me from their list, as I’d told them I’d already said to remove me from their list (this was in the letter of complaint). The next one gets marked as SPAM. The one after that I’ll be complaining to the appropriate government department about nuisance emails. In fact, I might complain about the misleading screens anyway. Consumer affairs might help here. Doubt I’ll get anywhere (what’s worse, a monopoly or a Government department?)

Lastly, guess how much the service charge was. $17.50. PER TICKET (I bought 4.) Not bad f***ing money if you can get it.

These guys suck and they are f***ing us all. The only thing to do is to boycott the concerts. The only way these scumbags will listen is when their business dries up. Sure, it hurts the bands, but they too could do with a swift kick up the a** as well if they allow their fans to go thru this sh*t.

Anon November 27, 2007, 4:45 pm

Ticketmaster’s Customer service sucks too!

I Ordered a Voucher at the beginning of September and it has never been dispatched (here we are in Novemeber and I have jut got a resolution).
They closed two complait “threads” as they had delt with the situation (well, they had replied to the e-mail saying they would deal with it but nothing else happened)….

Here is a copy of the Third Thread:

Discussion Thread
—————————————————————
Response (Ben Mulvey) – 19/11/2007 12:23 PM Dear ######

I can confirm that all monies have now been refunded to your account

Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused

Customer (###### ######) – 07/11/2007 09:20 PM Hi,

Just letting you know that I still have not had a reply yet….

I am off on two weeks holiday from Sunday, but I don’t expect to hear from you by my return, so I will remind you again then….

Regards,

###### ######

Customer (###### ######) – 02/11/2007 09:07 PM Hello….

Obviously have to repeat things several times…
No-one has sorted this at all. Still no voucher….

As I said, I’ve had enough now. Please refund the money back onto my card and I’ll just give them cash.

Please tell me when this has been done.

Order placed 11th September. Not resolved 2nd November

Regards,

###### ######

Customer (###### ######) – 31/10/2007 02:14 PM Hi,

Further to the incident update…

Nope, no-one has resolved the matter at all. Have had no contact since 18th October.

Please tell me when this has been done.

Order placed 11th September. Not resolved 31st October.

Regards,

###### ######

Response (Kerry) – 30/10/2007 04:51 PM
Dear ######

Thank you for your email.

I have had a look at your booking and I can see that a member of our Customer Services department has resolved the matter.

If you require any more assistance then feel free to contact me and I will be happy to assist.

Customer (###### ######) – 23/10/2007 08:32 PM Hi,

Yes, please “re-issue” the card.

I am not sure that the card has ever been “issued”, as the status is “Your order is being prepared for dispatch” not “your order has been dispatched”…

That aside, it would be great to receive it. Please send ASAP.

Regards,

Customer (###### ######) – 18/10/2007 03:37 PM Hi,

That would be great.

Cheers,

######

Response (Kerry) – 18/10/2007 03:29 PM
Dear ######

Thank you for your email.

As the Gift Card has not arrived with you it leads me to believe that it has been lost in transit.

In that case we can cancel the gift card and refund you and then book the gift card again.

We do need to have authorisation from you to do this.

So therefore if you are quite happy for this to be done then please let us know and we can do this for you.

Customer (###### ######) – 18/10/2007 10:32 AM Hi, quick look at your site… only one transaction on this account… order date 6th SEPTEMBER 2007 order number ############

Order Date Order # Event Name Event Date TicketExchange

06/09/07 ############ Gift Card 05/10/07 Not Eligible

STATUS:
Your order is being prepared for dispatch.

If you have not received your tickets within 7-10 days of the event please contact us.

Response (Kerry) – 18/10/2007 10:17 AM
Dear ######

Thank you for your email.

I apologise that I cannot give you a correct reply to your question, as I cannot locate a booking under your name or any other details given.

To help me locate your booking please could you check who debited your card to make sure that you booked through Ticketmaster.

If you have your Ticketmaster Confirmation Number please send this. If you cannot locate this we can search for your booking under your credit card number.

Question Reference No071017-000378
Billing Address 1: #############
Billing Address 2: #############
Billing Post Code: #############
Daytime Phone Number: #############
Mobile Number: #############
Last Four:
Event Name: £100 VOUCHER ! ! !
Event Venue: £100 VOUCHER ! ! !
Event Date: 01/09/2007
Ticket Type:
Change of Address?: No
Manager Notified: No
Smart Sense Alert: No

Booking Reference
—————————————————————

[—001:004349:14463—]

Kind Regards

Ben ########
Customer Services Advisor

bernard buherland June 26, 2008, 11:16 pm

u have a refund whats the problem?