The Ping is self-aware.

September 26th, 2000

Highly Underrated: Mad TV

A few years ago my dad prompted me to turn on Fox one night… said that there was some really funny stuff going on and his laughter filled the house. He was watching Mad TV and, while I didn’t particularly like it at first, it’s really grown on me. Mad TV competes with SNL and has been around for five years now – dodging cancellation on Fox for the first few years.

Mad TV is far more edgier than SNL. While I still think SNL is on the mend from the early 90s, Mad TV is far more consistent. For one thing, sketches generally don’t wear out their welcomes. The show is shorter by 30 minutes, so this might be part of the deal. The cast of Mad TV is also quite versatile and very funny – Nicole Sullivan, who has been with the show since day 1, is one of the funniest women on TV.

Despite all my accolades, Mad TV‘s ratings still aren’t tops… although it has toppled SNL on a few instances. I encourage you to give it a try if you want a zestier, funnier version of SNL. -pm

Posted in Television, Movies, and Music

FROM: Rob
DATE: Tuesday September 26, 2000 -- 7:29:12AM
I watched Mad TV when it first started. I stuck with it for a season or two. Then something happened and it just wasn't funny to me any more. I guess it just started looking more and more like SNL to me. Maybe it's gotten better and I should give it a shot again.

FROM: pistol jack
DATE: Tuesday September 26, 2000 -- 1:39:15PM
Mad TV is great. i once saw a thing on Mad where they had a commercial for the 'Spischack Mach 13 Razor Blade" the whole thing was a take off of the mach three, but with this blade taking off much of your face "so the hair will never grow back." A month later i saw SNL do a skit for a "Mach 25 razor." SNL stole it from Mad TV
I also love Stewie on Mad TV
Jeff

DATE: Wednesday September 27, 2000 -- 12:43:00AM
Although I usually dig most skecth comedy shows, Mad TV scrapes the bottom of the barell in everything it does. The reasons why mad tv blows:
First- Mad TV has switched their format about 4 times since it originally began airing 5 years ago. When it started it was a weak version of In Living Color, primarily focussing on an African American Cast. As it has changed through the years it has become a show that is sandwhiched between "The Edge" and "House Of Bugging" for comedic writing and and delivery. In other words it sucks salt like a mormon in Utah.
Second- Mad Tv seldom has anything of substance from the cast members of the show, which to me basically shows that the cast members aren't very good at sketch comedy. They have had years to get it right and still haven't been able to match what the"State" did in its two years on tv.
Third- Mad TV has gone the way of bathroom humor and edgier racier comedy to get the cheap laugh. It takes alot more talent to get a laugh off of gunuine humor instead of reverting to bathroom humor for the cheap pointless laugh.
Fourth- SNL is live and always has better camera work and production then the pretaped mad tv. Mad TV just has always had a weird feel to me when I try watching it.
So in conclusion I think Mad TV is actually overrater and should have been cancelled after the second season

FROM: Tony
DATE: Wednesday September 27, 2000 -- 5:56:29AM
Mad TV has an edge, because It dosent re-use skits like SNL. Also most of the funny people died on SNL.

DATE: Wednesday September 27, 2000 -- 9:26:34AM
I guess I'll weigh in... I will occasionally flip on MadTV and catch a sketch or two, but I will generally choose SNL (which, IMO, goes in waves and is currently on the upswing). I do enjoy the Stewie sketch from MadTV, though...

Now, how about the Lyricist Lounge show (which seems to be absent from MTV as of late)? Comedywise, it has yet to be funny, but it is moderately watchable. I think it tries too hard. Where the show excels, though, is with the lyric-driven sketches and the freestyle cipher at the end of the show.

FROM: ranchero
DATE: Wednesday May 7, 2003 -- 1:20:25 am
dudes mad tv rocks and i loved the kenny roger sketches

FROM: Dave Walls
DATE: Wednesday May 7, 2003 -- 2:05:30 pm
Wasn't planning on commenting on this Ping, until I came across the words "Lyricist Lounge Show"...MAN, what a great show that was. Miles ahead of MadTV, which to me, came off as a poor man's SNL.

If LLS ever got released on DVD, count me in.

FROM: big wood
DATE: Sunday June 29, 2003 -- 11:19:00 pm
I started watching MAD TV this season, but it basically is just a poor mans SNL as commented By Dave Wallis

FROM: vk
DATE: Thursday December 11, 2003 -- 12:38:12 am
MAD TV has good consistent humor, i watch it every once in a while. SNL hasn't made me laugh for about 10 years. It was a funny show when 15 years ago. Now it just seems kind of dry . Oh well what are u gonna do.

FROM: Anonymous
DATE: Sunday March 7, 2004 -- 12:34:32 am
dear mad tv cast & crew,
i just viewed the episode of your show featuring the sketch "bible dude" & i was very disturbed & disgusted. how dare you have the nerve to make fun of the bible like that? dont any of you have any morals or values? are you trying to make fun of mel gibson's "the passion of the christ" movie by airing a sketch making fun of Jesus, God & the Bible in the same time the movie is now being shown in theaters? if so, as a Christrian i say that you all should be highly ashamed of yourselves. i cant believe you portrayed Jesus in such a way! i will know longer be a viewer of mad tv & i will make sure i tell others about how disrespectful you were to God, Jesus, & the Bible in such a dispicable sketch. i end this letter by saying i am not passing judgment on you; i'm simply voicing my opinion. i will leave your judgment to God because i'm sure he's seen that episode & i'm sure he's not happy. may he have mercy on you & i will pray for you all.
disgusted Christrian no longer a viewer

DATE: Sunday March 7, 2004 -- 12:56:24 am
Dear Anonymous:

GROW A FREAKING BRAIN.

Sincerely,
No longer believing in the human race

DATE: Sunday March 7, 2004 -- 10:29:40 am
i end this letter by saying i am not passing judgment on you

This, after a paragraph of passing judgement.

i will leave your judgment to God because i'm sure he's seen that episode

I don't know... I've heard God has trouble getting Fox on his satellite system. They don't offer local channels.

So now we're the official site for MadTV complaints. Great.

FROM: Robert [E-Mail]
DATE: Sunday March 7, 2004 -- 6:58:45 pm
MadTV made me infertile!

FROM: Ricky
DATE: Sunday June 6, 2004 -- 7:52:17 pm
Dear Anonymous,

I don't think the people involved in Mad TV are worried about being poked by a red guy with a pitchfork when they die.

FROM: Well Hung
DATE: Monday June 21, 2004 -- 3:12:26 pm
What the fuck.... Mad TV fucking sucks ass and is an inspiration to 10 year olds everywhere. It's humor is so fucking childish and it's obviously ripping off SNL. SNL is fucking hilarious, and Mad TV isn't. I CAN'T BELIEVE COMEDY CENTRAL CUT SNL FOR MAD TV. I doubt that bullshit is even live.

DATE: Monday June 21, 2004 -- 4:17:34 pm
Um, it never claimed to be live (because it isn't).

FROM: MEMEME
DATE: Sunday July 4, 2004 -- 5:29:27 pm
Hi My Name Is MEMEME!!!!
I AM 10 years old and I watch Mad Tv. It rocks!!!!!!!!!!
I like Spy-Spy

FROM: Kerry Ann
DATE: Thursday June 9, 2005 -- 2:54:52 pm
Some people seem to be getting a little violent, eh? It was really only a conversation about whether you like Mad TV or SNL better, so why are people bringing God into it? Personally, I thought 'Bible Dude' skit was hilarious. And, even though it was claimed that no judgement was being passed, it seemed as if you were saying, 'You watched Mad TV. Have fun in Hell.' And, as far as the exessive swearing... There is -really- no need.

FROM: satan
DATE: Saturday June 18, 2005 -- 5:10:05 pm
bible dude is hilarious... and it didnt make fun of the bible... it made fun of hypocritical morons who read it

i have found intelligent christians... but they seem to be the ones that keep their faith to their-selfs LIVING what they believe instead of TALKING it

bible thumpers lick my balls!

FROM: Pablo
DATE: Saturday August 13, 2005 -- 7:58:47 pm
Does anyone remember the Bible Dude theme song? All I remember is
"Like the Red Sea he parts his hair"

FROM: snaily
DATE: Sunday August 14, 2005 -- 11:44:36 am
i have only watched mad tv once, but it seemed really fun. i am still a dedicated fan of mad magazine, though

FROM: Jon
DATE: Tuesday September 27, 2005 -- 5:51:12 pm
Dear anonymous disgusted Christian,

As evidenced by WHAT behaviors they mocked, I'd say they have a good sense of both morals and values. Note the obvious attack on the concept of correction of minor 'offenses' through major violence. This biblical concept was what was attacked.

As Ryan mentioned you HAVE passed judgment and then said you wouldn't. By proclaiming people 'disrespectful' you've judged them and by calling the sketch 'despicable' you've judged it and tacitly the people who put it together. Your judgment and opinion are interlinked here and it doesn't really matter which word you use.

As far as your God character goes; being omniscient, 'God' would have known this sketch would come to be before the actors were ever born, and being omnipotent 'he' wouldn't be threatened or belittled by it. Being omnipresent would insure that 'he' indeed got a great seat when 'he' watched the sketch, and being omnibenevolent would insure said 'mercy' would be granted if such a need were to arise.

FROM: Russ
DATE: Tuesday February 7, 2006 -- 1:22:06 pm
Mad TV sucks, it's like the Family Circus which is "... always there, in the lower right hand corner, just waiting to suck."

Mad TV skits always seem to have potential, so I watch anticipating that it could be something and every time... stupid. Honestly that show should be canned and they could replay The Daily Show in it's place.

Cancel Drawn together while they're at it too.

Oh yeah, and bring back Crystal Clear Pepsi

kurhajetz@gmail.com

FROM: Dudley
DATE: Monday March 20, 2006 -- 12:54:53 am

I AGREE DRAWN TOGETHER IS SHIT.. HOW MANY TIMES CAN YOU WATCH THE SAME RETAREDED, AND STOLEN CHARACTERS, SHIT, FART OR JACKOFF BEFORE THE JOKE GETS OLD??

FROM: crossfire_sucks
DATE: Thursday April 6, 2006 -- 3:31:27 am
I totally agree with russ, mad tv sucks. It is edgier, but sometimes, it just get's kinda stupid. I can't remember the last time Madtv showed the slightest bit of intelligent humor or even sarcasm. I guess the shows fine if your the kind of guy who enjoys crazy, childish (almost retarded) humor, but if your looking for a "smarter laugh", i HIGHLY recommend The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. (note: you do have to be politicaly inclined to actually get the jokes) plus, Jon Stewart's a genius!!!

FROM: The Vancome Lady
DATE: Wednesday May 10, 2006 -- 1:14:19 pm
Yeah, to the anonymous Christian lady over there...
Shhhaaaa, you know vot?
Mmm mmm.
Ok, you claim you're not passing judegment?
I have seen people judged LESS on Divorce Court, ok.
And you might wanna take that corn cob out of your ass before you sit down
at the computer to type an angry letter...Ok, God doesn't LIKE angry people.

Eh, la la la, eh, la la la.

FROM: mad tv sucks sooo bad
DATE: Tuesday June 6, 2006 -- 5:14:21 pm
Oh my God Mad TV sucks. Now that it's on during the day, Mad TV is making our whole population of unemployed even stupider (the ones that can afford cable).
To those that think Mad tv is funny, please go back to school and get your GED. Maybe if you learn to read, things like an upset cheerleader will seem just as humourous to you as it is to the rest of us educated people...which is not humourous at all.
Mad TV is comedy for line cooks. So if your a line cook, laugh away..I'm sure life will be over soon.

Mad TV sucks.

Mad TV sucks.

FROM: mad tv sucks
DATE: Tuesday June 6, 2006 -- 5:17:10 pm

Mad TV sucks.

FROM: bbb878
DATE: Thursday June 22, 2006 -- 8:24:23 pm
It's just a matter of taste.. of course any show gets a little tired after a long run, but i enjoy the type of humor much more than SNL. It may resort to racist/offensive and "potty" humor.. but that is a huge improvement from SNL's staleness-which i can't even watch any more.... Mad TV has some very talented comedians in the cast as well.

Paul July 12, 2007, 5:33 pm

I’m a guy who usually loves funny movies in the “stupid” genre but MAD TV just annoys me to death and I’ve never laughed. I’ve tried watching it a few times but the skits just get old within a few seconds.

🙁

Now Kids in the Hall was a great show, I used to let the re-runs play every day in the background while I worked.

MAX October 13, 2008, 1:15 am

i like mad tv =EP

anonu=ymous October 14, 2008, 5:18 am

the chinnese short guy sucks i dont even know why people laugh when he does the dumb jokes he does he just ridicules himself as well asian people mad tv sucks so the short chinnese guy sucks big time ban mad tv especially this short guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!