The Daily Ping

Apple did not consult with us when they named Ping, Ping.

February 27th, 2001

Revenge of the 80s

Revenge of the 80s

March is going to start off with a bang. Why? Because Nick-at-Nite is delivering classic 80’s sitcoms that haven’t been on the air in a number of years.

In addition to their regular dose of The Facts of Life, Nick-at-Nite will air Diffr’nt Strokes, Silver Spoons, and 227, none of which have aired in quite a while. Additionally, they will show episodes of ALF (which currently airs on PAX) and Square Pegs (which I’ve never heard of). I’m super-psyched to see Silver Spoons and Diff’rent Strokes, as they were both staples of my childhood TV viewing.

I hereby declare this Ping to be a place to discuss the various episodes airing throughout the “Revenge of the 80’s Week.” Boy I hope they show the “adult cartoons” episode of Diff’rent Strokes… Arnold and Dudley were at their best in that one. -ram

Posted in Childhood Memories

FROM: Matt
DATE: Tuesday February 27, 2001 -- 12:35:28AM
This is incredible. I have waited for Silver Spoons to air for about 10-12 years, it hasn't been on the air in that long. I will tape every episode. That Edward Straton is a genius.
As for Different Strokes, I saw that about 3 or so years ago I believe. They had been showing that and Gimme A Break on a richmond station my freshman year of college.
227 is just lame, thats on BET 24-7.
Alf on Pax? Man when did this start Ryan? I need to see this.

FROM: Ryan
DATE: Tuesday February 27, 2001 -- 12:38:50AM
Matt -- I'm not sure, but it's on during dinner time during the week, I believe.

I wasn't a big fan of 227, either... didn't know it was still airing on BET.

I am definitely psyched to see the train that goes around Ricky's house... I wanted one of them so badly. Almost as much as the big cards on Card Sharks.

FROM: Maria
DATE: Tuesday February 27, 2001 -- 1:08:14AM
The shows I've been waiting for ages to see again (and who knows when I will) are Punky Brewster and Small Wonder. I used to love those, but hardly remember anything about them anymore.

FROM: liz
DATE: Tuesday February 27, 2001 -- 2:20:15AM
dude, why must you taunt the girl who got her cable cut off?

anyway, square pegs was the first show sarah jessica parker was in.

and alf on pax? i'm so there.

FROM: Tina
DATE: Tuesday February 27, 2001 -- 8:42:54AM
You've never heard of "Square Pegs"? I loved it when Johnny, the one with the long "tail" (remember those? ugh!) dyed pink would always shout "I'm not punk! I'm New Wave!".

FROM: Ryan
DATE: Tuesday February 27, 2001 -- 9:04:48AM
When did Square Pegs air? And on what channel? I honestly don't remember it at all...

Maria -- I'm also longing for Punky Brewster and Small Wonder. I had seen both maybe once in the last five years, but they both could use another syndicated run.

FROM: Rob
DATE: Tuesday February 27, 2001 -- 9:27:26AM
Wow. I'm shocked that Ryan's never heard of Square Pegs. I never watched it, but I'd at least heard of it and I'm not the scholar of TV that Ryan is. Crazy...

I think they should revive Punky Brewster and show us what Punky's up to now.

FROM: theotherpaul
DATE: Tuesday February 27, 2001 -- 9:37:00AM
Square pegs = Sara Jessica Parker the early years

FROM: Matt
DATE: Tuesday February 27, 2001 -- 10:25:56AM
Argh! The adult cartoons Diff'rent Strokes. That was the one where the guy who plays the Magtag repair man tries to give Dudley some candy. I'm scared that you referenced that one Ryan.

As per Silver Spoons, didn't Erin Grey have boobs in Buck Rogers? She sure didn't in Spoons.

Sorry - sexist comment. But c'mon, what 10 year old guy wasn't checking her out?

FROM: Robert
DATE: Tuesday February 27, 2001 -- 10:27:27AM
Wasn't Square Pegs a precursor to Freaks and Geeks? I never watched either, so this is a wild guess.

Like Matt, I've been waiting eons for the return of Silver Spoons to my TV. Unfortunately, I have no ability to remember any show that's not on Comedy Central so this will likely come and go like so many other opportunities.

FROM: Old Fezziwig
DATE: Tuesday February 27, 2001 -- 11:23:19AM

I'd definitely watch considering she's REALLY HOT (referring to Soleil Moon Frye). She plays a character on Sabrina, The Teenage Witch now.

Also, let's see some re-runs of Webster.
-Fezz

www.oldfezziwig.com

FROM: Ryan
DATE: Tuesday February 27, 2001 -- 12:05:05PM
OF -- Yes, Soleil is looking fine these days. She, of course, also played AC Slater's sister in Saved by the Bell. And ditto on the Webster, m'aam.

FROM: Robert
DATE: Tuesday February 27, 2001 -- 12:25:11PM
Ryan--I agree 100% with you about the "adult cartoon" episode of Diff'rnt Strokes ("Hey, that girl mouse is wearin' a bikini" "Not anymore!"). It's the only one I can remember with any clarity. Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm going to go search out some filthy cartoons at my local porn emporium posthaste. I love it when TV can touch on those little-known things that really make life interesting.

FROM: Dave Hauss
DATE: Tuesday February 27, 2001 -- 12:26:56PM
where I live, NJ, Alf is not on PAX it is on the ODYSSEY network along with HAPPY DAYS and some other stuff..

FROM: Ryan
DATE: Tuesday February 27, 2001 -- 12:52:51PM
You know, Dave may be right... maybe I'm mistaken and ALF is on Odyssey...

FROM: Matt
DATE: Tuesday February 27, 2001 -- 1:02:04PM
Ryan,
Soliel was not AC's sister. She was in the spaghetti sauce episode. She was the girl, I believe, that was using Screech for his money he made.

FROM: Paul
DATE: Tuesday February 27, 2001 -- 1:14:38PM
I just want Perfect Strangers back on the air... although seeing Silver Spoons will make up for it.

I think Square Pegs is noteworthy not for having starred Sarah Jessica Parker, but for combining Pac-Man and Father Guido Sarducci in one episode!

ALF is on Odyssey.

Small Wonder has amassed a strange web following... it was a pretty good show, tho.

What about the really crappy stuff? Down to Earth, Safe at Home, and all of those really awful TBS morning sitcoms?

FROM: Ryan
DATE: Tuesday February 27, 2001 -- 1:54:26PM
Matt -- Argh, you're right. She was the rich girl that ended up buying his not-so-secret recipe. Good call.

Paul -- They aired a Christmas episode of Perfect Strangers on TV Land (I think) along with holiday-themed episodes for a number of other sitcoms.

FROM: Ryan
DATE: Tuesday February 27, 2001 -- 1:56:27PM
Wow -- That Small Wonder site has complete episodes online!

FROM: Old Fezziwig
DATE: Tuesday February 27, 2001 -- 1:56:52PM

Correct! Her character's name was Robin.
Soleil also played Joey's girlfriend on Friends for a few episodes.
-Fezz
www.oldfezziwig.com

FROM: Paul
DATE: Tuesday February 27, 2001 -- 1:57:15PM
Ryan, yeah, but that was before I got TV Land. (oops) However, I've set up a WishList in TiVo (new version) to automatically record Perfect Strangers if/when it comes on.

FROM: brant
DATE: Tuesday February 27, 2001 -- 2:41:34PM
maybe harry and the hendersons will be the next in syndication, i fear that day

FROM: Robert
DATE: Tuesday February 27, 2001 -- 3:13:55PM
I fear for the day the New Munsters returns to airwaves.

FROM: Maria
DATE: Tuesday February 27, 2001 -- 6:28:11PM
Yep, Soleil was in the spaghetti sauce episode of SBTB and she was "The Girl Who Hits Joey" in one episode of Friends.

While I'm thinking about it, I could stand to see Webster, Mr. Belvedere, Charles In Charge and Hey Dude come back.

FROM: Ryan
DATE: Tuesday February 27, 2001 -- 6:58:07PM
Maria -- Charles in Charge is on in the early morning (8am I believe)... I'll double check which channel.

FROM: Matt
DATE: Tuesday February 27, 2001 -- 11:06:18PM
They showed Perfect Strangers once two summers ago on Nick At Night. They had been showing diff. shows on friday night blocks and that was one that they showed.
I've had that Small Wonder website in my fav. page list on my computer since I got it.

FROM: Ryan
DATE: Wednesday February 28, 2001 -- 3:08:02PM
As I was looking through the descriptions of the upcoming episodes, I realized something interesting... Mr. T guest starred on both Diffr'nt Strokes and Silver Spoons.

Sunday night there will be (about) six hours of DS and on Monday night will be an equal amount of SS episodes. Set your VCRs!

FROM: Ryan
DATE: Wednesday February 28, 2001 -- 3:53:08PM
Incidentally, on Sunday night (I believe) there is also a Boy Meets World marathon.

I may not be leaving the couch Sunday night.

FROM: Robert
DATE: Thursday March 1, 2001 -- 2:16:40PM
It's really a shame that I'm going out to the legitimate theee-A-terrr

FROM: Robert
DATE: Thursday March 1, 2001 -- 2:17:25PM
It's really a shame that I'm going out to the legitimate theee-A-terrr on Sunday night to see a production of A Clockwork Orange. I'm going to miss some phat-ass TV!

FROM: Matt
DATE: Thursday March 1, 2001 -- 6:56:10PM
Robert,
Cancel your theater trip and watch something cool for a change. Whats the point of seeing something pretentiously acted out by some art tools, that is already on video? when at the same time you could see Silver Spoons

FROM: Robert
DATE: Friday March 2, 2001 -- 9:03:17AM
Matt--TV lives forever. What is born on the stage dies soon after.
By that I mean--I already got the tickets.

FROM: Matt
DATE: Friday March 2, 2001 -- 12:43:02PM
I wish what was on the stage died forever years ago!

FROM: Robert
DATE: Friday March 2, 2001 -- 1:02:43PM
I think Tiny Tim died on stage, or at least he had the heart attack that killed him on stage. It may have been the same deal with Sinatra.

FROM: Ryan
DATE: Sunday March 4, 2001 -- 3:22:25PM
A quick reminder that the marathons start tonight, with Diffr'nt Strokes. Be sure to do your duty and watch at least one episode. :)

FROM: Maria
DATE: Tuesday March 6, 2001 -- 3:46:24PM
So far I watched about four episodes of Diff'rent Strokes (instead of doing homework) and maybe as many as six episodes of Silver Spoons (instead of doing homework). I had never seen either before, but let me just tell you I was very disappointed that in the episode of Silver Spoons with Menudo, Ricky Martin was not yet a Menudoite. I was even more disappointed that they didn't show the episode where Matthew Perry guest starred.
I do think it's safe to say, though, that if I had ever watched Silver Spoons as a kid, I would have had a big crush on Ricky.

FROM: Robert
DATE: Wednesday March 7, 2001 -- 12:47:50PM
Matthew Perry was on Silver Spoons? I remember doing a lot of one-shots in sitcoms but none that far back.
Next, I'll suppose you'll tell me Matt LeBlanc was on, too.

FROM: Ryan
DATE: Wednesday March 7, 2001 -- 1:30:18PM
Maria -- They showed the clip of Matthew Perry on Silver Spoons during one of the breaks... I'm surprised they would do that without showing the full episode.

Matt and I enjoyed watching 3 or 4 episodes, including the one where Rick hacks into a government computer system to impress a school newspaper reporter (Arnold from Diff'rent Strokes!). Classy stuff.

FROM: Ryan Lepore [E-Mail]
DATE: Wednesday March 3, 2004 -- 7:37:36 pm
Super Sunday and Super Saturday fans of Jem, Bigfoot and the Muscle Machines, Robotix, and Inhumanoids, go to:

"BRING SUPER SUNDAY & SUPER SATURDAY BACK ON TV PETITION"

http://www.petitiononline.com/celtics/petition.html

..and sign your name to this petition.

FROM: Ryan Lepore [E-Mail]
DATE: Sunday August 28, 2005 -- 7:52:32 pm
Super Sunday and Super Saturday fans of Jem, Bigfoot and the Muscle Machines, Robotix, and Inhumanoids, please feel free to take a look at this SUPER SUNDAY WEBSITE

FROM: Paul
DATE: Wednesday August 31, 2005 -- 10:02:01 am
We'll look forward to your annual 2006 comment, Ryan L.

FROM: Ryan Lepore [E-Mail]
DATE: Friday July 21, 2006 -- 10:47:33 pm
Super Sunday fans of Jem, Bigfoot and the Muscle Machines, Robotix, and Inhumanoids, please go to the Super Sunday on DVD voting poll on TV SHOWS ON DVD.COM and cast your vote for Super Sunday on DVD now!

Ryan Lepore October 9, 2006, 1:06 am

Please sign the BRING BEVERLY HILLS TEENS ON DVD PETITION:

http://www.petitiononline.com/bht/petition.html

Ryan Lepore February 20, 2007, 3:36 pm

Please sign the BRING MAXIE’S WORLD ON DVD PETITION!

Ryan Lepore November 22, 2007, 4:45 am

I have a new petition up. It’s to get additional episodes of Robotix and Bigfoot and the Muscle Machines. If anyone’s interested, please sign this new petition:

ROBOTIX & BIGFOOT AND THE MUSCLE MACHINES ADDITIONAL CARTOON TV SERIES’ PETITION:

http://www.petitiononline.com/robbig/petition.html

Ryan Lepore February 18, 2008, 4:09 am

I have another 80’s cartoon petition here. It’s to get another Inhumanoids cartoon TV series, and to get Super Sunday on DVD (Jem, Bigfoot and the Muscle Machines, Robotix, Inhumanoids). Please sign this new petition:

NEW INHUMANOIDS CARTOON TV SERIES & SUPER SUNDAY ON DVD WITH ITS COMMERCIAL BUMPERS DVD RELEASE PETITION:

http://www.petitiononline.com/metlar/petition.html

What is this then?

The Daily Ping is the web's finest compendium of toilet information and Oreo™® research. Too much? Okay, okay, it's a daily opinion column written by two friends. Did we mention we've been doing this for over ten years? Tell me more!

Most Popular Pings

Last Week's Most Popular Pings

Let's be nice.

© 2000-2011 The Daily Ping, all rights reserved. Tilted sidebar note idea 'adapted' from Panic. Powered by the mighty WordPress.