The 10,000th Ping will be published on May 24, 2027. Paul will be just about 50 years old.

July 29th, 2001

What’s Happening!!

My all-time favorite show was one I watched as a Kindergartner: What’s Happening!!. The crazy antics of Rog, Rerun, and Dwayne captured my young imagination, even though the show had more black people than I had seen in real life. It was where I learned what a “crush” was.

Whether it was Mama squeezing the life out of Raj, Dwayne’s signature “Hay hay hay!”, Dee blackmailing Raj for a quarter, or Rerun trying to bootleg a Doobie Brothers concert (“Which Doobie you be?”), What’s Happening!! was one of the funniest shows on TV in the late-70s, hands down.

The show was based loosely on Cooley High and spawned a sequel, the mediocre What’s Happening Now!. Raj’s wife was incredibly annoying, Dee just wasn’t funny grown up, and Dwayne’s fro had gotten too small. This was also the show that gave Martin Lawrence his break.

So what’s the crew up to these days? See a recent CBS News interview. (link via Pinger Rob) Sadly, the only What’s Happening!! page on the web (which featured an animated .GIF of Rerun dancing) is no longer available. -ram

Posted in Television, Movies, and Music

DATE: Monday July 30, 2001 -- 1:40:11AM
I kept my friend Chris entertained in Europe by quoting "What's Happening" alot. He likes my Re-run voice.

FROM: liz
DATE: Monday July 30, 2001 -- 4:00:38PM
i thought that doobie brothers one was an urban legend.

DATE: Monday July 30, 2001 -- 8:37:28PM
Liz -- Well, What's Happening!! was urban and that episode was legendary... so in THAT sense, it's an urban legend...

FROM: Fred Rerun Berry [E-Mail]
DATE: Friday November 1, 2002 -- 9:48:43 am
Hi, this Fred Berry
Thank you so much for the great support of your site . It was alot of fun taping the show, I had a ball!
feel free to e-mail me and stay in touch, my site will tell you all that I`m doing now.
Stay cool...
Fred Rerun Berry

FROM: H
DATE: Sunday November 17, 2002 -- 7:58:54 pm
Where can I find What's Happening paraphenilia?? I'd love a cool little tee that had the cast ot logo on it? If anyone knows, let me know!!

DATE: Thursday October 23, 2003 -- 10:52:10 am
Pinger Greg sent me the sad news that Fred Berry passed away.

DATE: Thursday October 23, 2003 -- 10:54:54 am
Yeah, I heard that this morning. Really sad.

Could he be the first person to comment on a Ping that's passed away?

DATE: Thursday October 23, 2003 -- 11:02:45 am
That guy could dance.

John Ritter, now Rerun....is this the beginning of a trend? I remember in the 1970s when it seemed like every year, someone my parents admired died....John Wayne, Elvis, Bing...ok they never liked Elvis, but I remember where I was when he died.

FROM: J
DATE: Thursday October 23, 2003 -- 1:45:02 pm
Does anyone remember the name of the Dance group that Rerun was always trying to get in?

DATE: Thursday October 23, 2003 -- 1:47:49 pm
Fred was a scenestealer in the VH1 "I Love the 70's" series, especially when he showed his dancing. You could tell his health was going downhill, but he still had that spark. Rest in peace, Rerun.

jk, I hope this isn't the beginning of a bad trend. If it is, would someone please check on Huggy Bear for me?

DATE: Thursday October 23, 2003 -- 4:23:02 pm
I think Fred was really in the dance group the Toasters, long before he was in WH. He was literally at the forefront of the pop-n-lock movement.

Dave, what's even more awful is all the rockstars that killed themselves....Michael Hutchence, Kurt Cobain...the guy from Big Country. That seemed like an epidemic. It really makes me mad when successful rock stars WITH KIDS kill themselves.

FROM:
DATE: Saturday January 1, 2005 -- 3:31:20 pm

FROM: Chuck from c-burg
DATE: Wednesday February 16, 2005 -- 10:32:38 pm
Yo Rerun youre sadly missed I still bust out the dance when i get a request & have a nice jag on!!! Peace my nigga!!!

FROM: Crazy the Clown
DATE: Sunday June 26, 2005 -- 9:42:12 pm
If any of y'all ever saw Big Money Hu$tla$, there's a part that refers to What's Happening. Violent J, as Big Baby Sweets, says, "Let's holla at Rerun," to which, Fred "Rerun" Berry, as Bootleg Greg, replies, "Hey, HEY, hey!" It was funny.

RIP-Rerun. Life won't be as fun without you.

FROM: R
DATE: Friday November 11, 2005 -- 1:20:57 am
The real dance group was called the Lockers and Fred was a member long before What's Happening. The Lockers portrayed the 'Rockets' on the show.

al December 12, 2013, 8:21 pm

Does anyone know the name of the dance dwayne does on what’s happening?