Fred "Rerun" Barry once commented here.

November 23rd, 2001

Holiday Music

My rule once was “Christmas music can only be played from December 1st on,” but I’ve recently decided that Christmas music is acceptable anytime after Thanksgiving up through Christmas Day. This year, happily, we get a few extra days, thanks to an early Thanksgiving to enjoy our favorite (and most cheesy) Christmas tunes.

My favorites: Ella Fitzgerald’s Ella Wishes You A Swinging Christmas, either of the two Sesame Street Christmas albums I have, and Jacob Miller’s Natty Christmas. Throughout the year, I collect new Christmas albums I come across in used CD stores in anticipation of the holiday season.

Another favorite holiday activity was to do a Christmas-themed show at my college’s radio station. I’ve even done two “special editions” since I graduated, though I don’t know if that will continue this year or not. -ram

Posted in Television, Movies, and Music

FROM: Robert
DATE: Friday November 23, 2001 -- 11:57:16PM
My favorite Xmas song always will be the Ramones' "Merry Christmas (I Don't Want to Fight Tonight)".

FROM: jenny
DATE: Saturday November 24, 2001 -- 2:38:26AM
i like "carolina christmas" by the squirrel nut zippers.. :)

FROM: Elizabeth
DATE: Saturday November 24, 2001 -- 5:08:57PM
The Muppets Christmas album with John Denver is a huge childhood favorite. Run, Run Reindeer featuring Animal? A classic.

As I got older, I turned to the more sophisticated New Kids on the Block christmas album, featuring "Have a Funky, Funky Christmas".

And now, the only christmas albums I own are the Nutcracker, Handel's "Messiah", and Harry Connick Jr's "When my heart finds christmas".

DATE: Saturday November 24, 2001 -- 8:49:24PM
The Harry Connick one is another of my favorites... I wish he'd do another.

FROM: liz
DATE: Sunday November 25, 2001 -- 8:17:51PM
i like jimmy eat world's 12.23.95

DATE: Monday December 3, 2001 -- 11:48:09PM
Run DMC's "Christmas In Hollis" still takes the cake.
Elizabeth- the Arsenio Jams show on VH1 showed the New Kids performance of Funky Funky Christmas, the episode aired on thanksgiving.

FROM: Robert
DATE: Tuesday December 4, 2001 -- 3:50:05PM
Oh, and let's not forget Weird Al's "Christmas at Ground Zero."

FROM: Robert
DATE: Tuesday December 4, 2001 -- 8:41:48PM
Don't forget to visit the ever-expanding list of holiday music reviews by us morons at ADDreviews.com.

FROM: MamaH
DATE: Tuesday November 2, 2004 -- 11:29:11 pm
Imagine my surprise when yesterday I turned on the radio and heard holiday music and ads being played!!! Halloween wasn't even 24 hours gone!!! This is getting out of hand. Is Thanksgiving to become the forgotten holiday?

DATE: Tuesday November 2, 2004 -- 11:48:23 pm
There just aren't enough Thanksgiving songs that everyone knows the words to!

FROM: M
DATE: Wednesday November 3, 2004 -- 1:51:46 pm

FROM: MamaH
DATE: Wednesday November 3, 2004 -- 1:52:23 pm
Anyone know where to get a copy of the Peanuts Pumpkin Carols?