Fred "Rerun" Barry once commented here.

January 17th, 2002

The Daily Show

I must say, even though it’s been on a second-teir cable network for over five years now, The Daily Show has been consistently good. Both hosts, Craig Kilborn and Jon Stewart, have done solid jobs and the supporting “reporters” have all been hilarious. While a month can go by with only a few laughs on SNL, I will always belly laugh at some point during any given episode of The Daily Show. That’s a rare thing these days.

Whether it’s the mild self-deprecation that Stewart has mastered over the years or the supremely nerdy air about Mo Rocca, The Daily Show always manages to hit. Tonight’s “America’s News War” captured the Fox News-CNN-CNBC debacle perfectly, reminding us all that news people are funny and dopey, especially when they’re angry.

Perhaps we could form a merger of the Daily Ping with The Daily Show… Paul and I could take over for the Stev/phens every other day and we could do a feature called “Where has Terry Murphy gone?” Whaddya think, Paul?

Posted in Television, Movies, and Music

DATE: Thursday January 17, 2002 -- 12:31:29 am
Ryan-
I also caught tonights "America's News War," and was laughing pretty heavily. The Daily Show is great because it combines guest appearances by some of my fav. comics with lame news stories.

FROM: Paul [E-Mail]
DATE: Thursday January 17, 2002 -- 7:54:16 am
I'm in for it, Ryan, especially if I can host the Terry Murphy segment.

The Daily Show consistently makes me laugh out loud; the writing is incredibly sharp, and Jon Stewart's delivery is letter-perfect.

FROM: Robert [E-Mail]
DATE: Thursday January 17, 2002 -- 11:03:36 am
Craig Kilborn got by on the strength of the show itself during his tenure as host. Otherwise, he's a walking haircut.

FROM: Robert [E-Mail]
DATE: Thursday January 17, 2002 -- 11:06:07 am
Oh, and the last time I checked (five seconds ago), Terry Murphy still was here.

FROM: Terry M.
DATE: Thursday January 17, 2002 -- 6:59:39 pm
Hmm, I didn't realize I'd been so quiet lately. The Daily Show rules, although I thought it was better under Kilborn. Stewart seems to be a bit slow. But, it's a lot easier to stay up for than the Late, Late Show. :-)

DATE: Thursday January 17, 2002 -- 11:17:46 pm
Terry! Yeah, it's been *months* since we've heard from you... welcome back.