Somehow, Ryan has written over 1 million Pings; Paul, just 60.

January 25th, 2002

Car Stereo Buying Advice

I don’t know much about car stereos, but since I finally completed a search for a replacement cassette receiver for my car (the JVC KS-FX270, in case you’re interested), I can tell you the one thing I learned:

Now’s a good time to buy.

February is the month that a lot of the car stereo manufacturers roll out their new lines, so January is discontinued model heaven with discounts galore. List price for my deck was up around $140 or so, but I got mine for $87 from some random place in New York City.

Take the knowledge and run with it, my children.

Posted in Cars

DATE: Friday January 25, 2002 -- 12:19:22 am
I want to get a cd player in my car along with my casette deck I already have. This guy at circuit city said that wasn't possible to run them both off of the regular amp. I don't believe him, since some cars come with both already installed, but they could have them wired special.
Anyone have any idea on having both in the ride, without having to have it be a cd changer via casette deck?

FROM: Dave [E-Mail]
DATE: Friday January 25, 2002 -- 12:37:40 am
If your head unit has cd changer controls you can hook it up. they make adaptors to hook up a changer to a factory head unit.. of you can buy the kind of cd changer that runs off of RF where you tune your radio to a channel to listen to your CD's. Any more questions, let me know..

FROM: Paul [E-Mail]
DATE: Friday January 25, 2002 -- 8:24:46 am
And stay away from Aiwa!

Oh, and if any Pingers can give me some advice on getting a stereo into a 91 Sentra, lemme know.

"The Daily Ping: Your One Stop Auto Repair Headquarters!"

FROM: Robert [E-Mail]
DATE: Friday January 25, 2002 -- 11:31:18 am
Which one of you Pingers ate all the donuts in the breakroom?

FROM: Jeani
DATE: Friday January 25, 2002 -- 1:33:26 pm
That's an '89 Sentra, my friend.

DATE: Friday January 25, 2002 -- 1:45:22 pm
Matt, I was considering the same thing and was told that it's rarely done. But I don't see why it can't be with a little work. Take Dave's suggestion (and e-mail him if necessary)... though I would avoid the RF signal suggestion as that pretty significantly degrades sound quality.

FROM: Paul [E-Mail]
DATE: Friday January 25, 2002 -- 1:53:40 pm
89, 91, same thing plus two.

FROM: fresh
DATE: Friday January 25, 2002 -- 5:51:11 pm
my mom said my ol man was a goofy, white, online guy but i never thought it would be you Ryan!

DATE: Friday January 25, 2002 -- 7:14:49 pm
All things I give birth to are fresh. Some even funky fresh. AND in effect.

FROM: Marcus Mackey
DATE: Tuesday January 29, 2002 -- 3:31:38 am
Dang Paul, you should look at your Best Buy Sucks site. ;) Crutchfield is awesome to order car stereo's through (not always the cheapest but they usually have the best brands for good pricings), as if you tell them what kind of car you have, they'll send you the installation kit and a pre-made harness designed for direct integration into that system.

Not to mention, unlike Best Buy ::coughing:: they actually know how to tell you to install it (I believe they'll even send you instructions) in that particular model. Jeez... you be slippin' in your old age. ;) hehe Info.'s right there in front of 'ya.

FROM: Tony [E-Mail]
DATE: Monday March 4, 2002 -- 6:58:00 am
Circut City isnt that bad, I replaced the radio/cassette in my 93 Mitsubishi Diamante, replaced there. The Kenwood 116-s deck only ran $89, and the instillation was about $40. After which I replaced my 6x9's in the rear with Pioneer units I picked up from Target. I used Crutchfield to buy my 5 1/4's for the front doors. I must complain though, Crutchfield is way overpiced, compared to similar products avalible at chain stores.

FROM: David
DATE: Monday March 18, 2002 -- 5:57:58 pm
HEELLLPPP! my aiwa cdc-x207 doesnt work. I reinstalled it trying to fix my radio and the screen doesnt come on. Should I just buy a new faceplate. I left the battery connected. Could that have blown it out??? thanks

FROM: Margaret
DATE: Thursday March 28, 2002 -- 1:55:28 pm
What is the best car stereo that you can buy. Meaning the deck, subs, amp. Everything? I was told the squared Kicker Komps were nice but I was also told the liquid flled ones or something like that are better. HELP ME!!! My friends and I are having a discussion about that and we want to know!! Because it is going to be going my 2002 Lexus IS300. So tell us what is the best to have!! The best everything, money not being an issue. Thanks!

DATE: Thursday March 28, 2002 -- 2:24:50 pm
Must be a nice life to be able to identify yourself with the name of clothing manufacturer and drive a car where money's not an issue.

DATE: Friday July 19, 2002 -- 4:43:47 pm
There is literally tons of excellent car stereo equipment at the junkyard. New cars get smashed and the stereo stays behind. Junkyard dealers concentrate on parts and let the radios just sit. They can't be bothered. Usually, if you offer 25 bucks they let you out the door. CD changer, amps, kickers, whatever. 25 bucks. Of course, there is some risk, that the stereo won't work, but at that price if it takes you two, you're still ahead. Choose carefully, the same 25 bucks that gets you Blaupunkt and Alpine will also get you Magnavox. It seems that a stereo is a stereo at the junkyard.

FROM: Duncan
DATE: Tuesday August 27, 2002 -- 9:44:24 pm
I have a 92 mitsubishi diamante with the premium sound system. I was told that in order to install a new deck, i would need it rewired to bypass the stock amp. does anybody know how to do this? thanks

FROM: Qwik
DATE: Wednesday August 28, 2002 -- 8:35:30 am
go to circuit city. they have an adaptor that will let you use the stock amp if you want.. I had a ford explorer with the permium system and thats what I did

FROM: Alliterative Al
DATE: Wednesday November 27, 2002 -- 10:16:29 am
hi all, can anyone tell me if it is possible to use a car stereo outside of a car; ie connect it to a power source, a couple o' speakers (,an amp) and then use it at home?
Its just that my new car has a complex integrated stereo already in it and i dont wanna throw away my old alpine...

FROM: Michael
DATE: Sunday January 26, 2003 -- 12:08:32 am
I have a 2000 Explorer with a stock cd player in it, it's nice and all but i want to hook up my amp and subs....is there any way i can hook my amp up to my stock cd player.....??????

FROM: John
DATE: Wednesday February 26, 2003 -- 12:26:35 pm
I have a 95 Explorer XLT. I wan't to put a CD deck in it but learned I need to bypass the stock amp. Can anyone tell me how to check for the stock amp and if it's there how to rewire my speakers inorder to bypass it. Please someone email me back with help.

FROM: joe
DATE: Monday February 9, 2004 -- 12:53:36 pm
does any body know how to hook up a complete car stereo in a house?

DATE: Monday February 9, 2004 -- 3:09:57 pm
1. Install the system in your car.

2. Drive the car into your living room.

3. Put the car in park.

FROM: randomperson
DATE: Thursday February 26, 2004 -- 9:15:00 pm
whats wrong with aiwa? i was thinking about getting an aiwa mp3 cdcx504mp player for my car,

FROM: jon
DATE: Wednesday March 9, 2005 -- 5:58:19 pm
I want to know if I can put a car deck on a has a complex integrated stereo, is there any ways? I want to put a car deck on a cavalier 2005, and it comes with stereo integrated

FROM: jamal
DATE: Wednesday May 25, 2005 -- 6:06:58 pm
If anybody can tell me specifically what wires to put together when hooking up a cd player the color and everything please email me

FROM: Steve
DATE: Wednesday September 21, 2005 -- 6:13:32 pm
I own a 91 lumina ,and it comes with a stock fm radio. I have a lightning audio amp, and 2 10 inch jensen subwoofers. Cansome tell me if possible how to hook the amp to the stock radio?

FROM: bob
DATE: Wednesday September 21, 2005 -- 6:15:14 pm
can a stock radio handle an amp and subs

FROM: Maria
DATE: Thursday September 22, 2005 -- 4:46:55 pm
Paul: Seriously delayed response on this one, but do you still have the '89 Sentra? I bought one in January and upgraded the stereo shortly thereafter. I had it professionally installed, though. My boyfriend took one look and said "No way."

DATE: Thursday September 22, 2005 -- 5:02:33 pm

Sadly, nope - the Sentra was sold about 2 1/2 years ago.

FROM: j boogie
DATE: Wednesday November 2, 2005 -- 3:32:28 am
All of u guys are gay

FROM: Ethan
DATE: Sunday November 6, 2005 -- 7:48:23 pm
Hey every1...I have a 93 chevrolet pickup single cab...and i bought myself an 800 watt sony explod amp and have 2 12" jl w0's....i was wondering if i can hook this up to the stock radio with replacing the stock stereo....sum1 please help me out here...thanks

FROM: John
DATE: Saturday January 7, 2006 -- 10:16:30 pm
Yo,any one have any idea how to hook up the deck in your room????i have a bateery in here and everything just dont know how to hook my deck up

DATE: Sunday January 8, 2006 -- 12:42:50 pm
I don't know why you need a bateery for a patio deck. They are nice to have, though. Good for entertaining in the summer. But it's the dead of winter. I guess it's a good time to hook up a deck so you can use it this spring.

The main thing is to make sure you've put in the proper foundation. And use treated lumber. You should be okay.

Good luck!!

FROM: Roberta
DATE: Saturday January 28, 2006 -- 12:38:26 am
My daughter's faceplate for her kdc-319 was stolen a year ago. I finally purchased a faceplate on line. She put it in, the light comes on but it doesn't upload. Are these faceplates interchangeable?

DATE: Saturday January 28, 2006 -- 9:52:53 am
She put it in, the light comes on but it doesn't upload.

Does it download? Is the modem plugged in?

FROM: Chris
DATE: Friday February 10, 2006 -- 6:51:06 pm
hey i have a 2002 ford ranger and i want to know if i can hook an amp up to a stock radio. i would buy a new radio, but the one i have is nice and would like to keep it. if anyone knows it would be helpful. thanks

Megan December 25, 2006, 5:03 am

I have a Chevy Cavalier and I want to put a new deck in cause the stock one just went to crap, however, the guy at Best Buy told me that i don’t only have buy the new deck but also a bypass thingy that’s an extra $160, ouch. I was wondering is there any way to get around that?