Somehow, Ryan has written over 1 million Pings; Paul, just 60.

February 15th, 2002

Lost Items

There have only been a few items in my life that I’ve lost that I’d really like to find at some point. I’ll skip over the green rabbit’s foot that I lost in fourth grade and move on to the stuff I still miss now…

First is a copy of a Thelonious Monk CD I left at the college radio station my freshman year. Someone else lifted it. This shouldn’t be too hard to find a replacement copy for.

Of course, the other items I’d like to find are also music related. First is the original mixdown tape of two songs I did with a band in high school. I have one of the songs that made it onto one of my albums, but the “alternate” version (where I did a good death metal growl admist my hip-hop lyrics) is still missing. I’m about 50% sure I am in possession of the cassette, but that it’s misplaced.

The other is another “alternate” version of a song I recorded in high school. I’m 98% sure I’m still in possession of this tape, as I tend to “re-find” it every couple of years. Of course, I never put it aside or label it, so I also “re-lose” it every couple of years.

Lastly are a small handful of interviews I did during college. The main one I’m missing is a long phone interview I did with Michael Franti (of Spearhead) while he was in Australia.

Obviously, these last three items, while all having to do with music or recording, are pretty much irreplaceable.

Finding long lost items is a great feeling… it can be like reconnecting with a best friend (a feeling I had every time I found the oft-misplaced “peach” crayon in my crayon box). What items are lost/misplaced that you’d give your left arm to find?

Posted in Everyday Life

FROM: Chris
DATE: Friday February 15, 2002 -- 10:01:10 am
1. My "Elves From Hell" demo tape. When I was in college, a few of us, under the influence of copious amounts of alcohol, made a tape one night with one guy on guitar and the rest of us freestyling lyrics. It was absolutely hilarious! It also led to a punk band being formed - The Elves From Hell, that played a few gigs around town and won a battle of the band competition. I did sound for band, which mostly consisted of turning every dial on the mixing board up to 10!

2. Autographed Carlton Fisk baseball card. This I still have, I think. I turns up every couple of years. It's probably in a box in the garage, however I have not physically seen it since we moved to VA in 1998.

FROM: Paul [E-Mail]
DATE: Friday February 15, 2002 -- 10:04:32 am
I actually have one that was found, and it's moving, so sit tight.

After my father passed away, my mom mentioned to me that there was a photo I had taken of them about two months earlier. I remembered the photo: they were in their kitchen, and I wanted to try out my camera something awful. I took the picture.

For months, my mom had asked me about it - and I felt so dumb, because I couldn't find this picture. I had always kept a few picture boxes, but going through all of them resulted in nothing.

Then one time after I moved, I was going through an underbed storage box. There, underneath a few old Auto Show brochures and some old-fashioned printer paper, was a small batch of photos. Guess what I found?

I purchased a great frame for it, and presented it to my mom for Christmas. Her reaction: "Oh, you found it!" :)

FROM: Paul [E-Mail]
DATE: Friday February 15, 2002 -- 10:05:01 am
BTW Chris, I've got a Fisk baseball... maybe it's yours. ;)

FROM: Chris
DATE: Friday February 15, 2002 -- 2:05:17 pm
If I remember correctly, you live in Chicago so your autograph is probably from when he was with teh White Sox... Mine is a "real" Fisk autograph, you know...when he was a Red Sox :)

DATE: Friday February 15, 2002 -- 5:59:47 pm
The one and olny copy of the casette my band recorded in high-school. The Orjazzm demo was so good it got passed around to many folks until one decided to never return it. I know who has it but he would never admit to still having it.
Anyway, We could have been the best lounge band ever.

FROM: fresh
DATE: Saturday February 16, 2002 -- 12:10:49 am
Chris rockin da beantown i feel that. i lost my virginity, has anyone seem it?

FROM:
DATE: Saturday February 16, 2002 -- 12:11:48 am
that seem ought be a seen sorry folks

FROM: Elizabeth
DATE: Sunday February 17, 2002 -- 7:04:05 pm
I used to have this book called "Dave Barry in Cyberspace". I lent it to someone and have never seen it again. Not that I am naming any names, Paul.

FROM: Paul [E-Mail]
DATE: Sunday February 17, 2002 -- 11:28:01 pm
I'm quite certain that book was returned, Elizabeth. Sure, it was hundreds of days later....

FROM: andrew
DATE: Wednesday May 8, 2002 -- 2:45:43 pm
these guys really suck at freestyling

DATE: Wednesday May 8, 2002 -- 3:27:00 pm
"These guys..." Gotta love those references with no actual reference point!