Not a toilet in the country has not been affected by the Ping in one way or another.

February 16th, 2002

No More Forwards

Ladies and gentlemen, I stand before you today to call for an end to forwarding most email.

Many years ago, back when AOL was unleashed on the Internet, the popularity of forwards really, really exploded. It had always been there – but this really punched things up a few notches. Forwards became the easy way to share hundreds of email addresses with your friends – and add in a little, 2-line joke at the end.

When that did happen, and a few of my pals were new to the net, I just dropped them a line. “Please don’t send me forwards”, I asked. “I’ve seen them all”. And while I’m certain I haven’t seen all of them, I no longer have the desire to see any of them.

I’m now getting a mildly steady stream of forwards. One person sending me such forwards is actually a student who dropped my class last semester – decided to go ahead and send me “VIRUS WARNING” and “Funniest Joke Ever!!!” emails – and that’s never good. I’m this close to considering these spam – in a sense, they are personal spam.

Therefore, I’m calling for an end to forwarding. Forwarding, as a tool, has been abused for too long. Forwarding is useful when you receive a message and want to share it with someone else – but not when 8,950 people have already seen it and you want to share it with another 75.

If a message has a “To:” line that’s a mile long, and you have an itchy Forward finger, I implore you to reconsider. Think about the sheer amount of bandwidth it takes to send that email, and how many mail servers will see it. Think about the people you’re sending it to – will they, in turn, send it to others? And please, for Pete’s sake, no legit virus warning will come over email.

Email is still a great tool. Commercial spam is annoying, but can be managed. Personal spam should be eradicated – or at least severely limited. Let’s start now. No more forwards. -pm

Posted in Everyday Life

DATE: Saturday February 16, 2002 -- 10:06:22 pm
What really bugs me is forwards with something animated attached, you know, something that takes maybe a half hour to even get into your mailbox. I have threatened people that I will throw THEIR computers out their window if they send anything like that, and I even destroyed a good friendship by typing off a quick angry email about such a forward. I have permanent damage to my harddrive due to a virus that came as a result of a forward. Please don't forward this to anyone. he he

DATE: Sunday February 17, 2002 -- 1:01:14 am
I think I will forward this Ping to everyone I know.

FROM: Aaron [E-Mail]
DATE: Sunday February 17, 2002 -- 9:04:33 pm
My mom used to be a great (ab)user of the email forward. However she switched ISPs and her new ISP (Earthlink) installed a custom version of IE for web surfing and email. She found that the Earthlink mail client has a problem in that forwarded emails are almost always missing the last few lines. The jokes she forwarded would almost always be missing the punchline. Her alternative is to cut/paste the body of the joke into a new email. It's a bit more work than just clicking the "Forward" button. The fortunate side effect (IMO) is that this extra work has caused her to be more selective in what to forward on.

FROM: Robert [E-Mail]
DATE: Monday February 18, 2002 -- 6:13:06 pm
When I left my last job, the one person I wanted to keep in touch with gave me her email address on the condition that I not send her "any stupid-ass forwards." Three months later, she's sent me at least ten "stupid-ass forwards."

FROM: arnold
DATE: Tuesday February 19, 2002 -- 5:43:16 pm
i must agree fowards suck.i tell all my friends not to foward to me .

FROM: steve
DATE: Saturday May 11, 2002 -- 12:43:23 am
yeh, ok, i know this ping was from ages ago, but im hell bored.....the forwards that really piss me of are the ones you get from braindead idiots involving phrases like "send this to 20 or more people and your crush will ask you out". This trend seems to be at the end of every email, and whats more, people seem to actully believe it, and send it on to MORE people. Is that how stupid people are becoming these days? I dont mind the occasional funny forward, maybe with a joke or a funny picture or something, but sheez, those other ones really piss me off. There's also another one going round, and it says that if you dont sent it to atleast 20 people or some shit, then your hotmail account will be deleted. Another one even said sent this to so ans so people, and you will get the new, updated version of msn.....then everyone was left dumbfounded when nothing showed up, and i just laughed. HEHEHE......FOOLS.

FROM: Ashley
DATE: Friday October 8, 2004 -- 6:38:02 pm
You all suck! I love to look for forwards to send to people! You just need to die and go to hell!

DATE: Saturday October 9, 2004 -- 10:05:57 am
Let's analyze Ashley's comment.

You all suck!

"Your opinion isn't the same as mine, so you're wrong! AND you clearly hate America!"

I love to look for forwards to send to people!

"I don't have anything original to say to my friends, so I'll rely on someone else to write something for me. Oh and look! Bill Gates is going to send all of us $100!"

You just need to die and go to hell!

"I have strange, violent tendencies that I post on a random website because they're my only possible outlet since everyone knows that everything on the internet is completely anonymous!"

FROM: Kirsty
DATE: Sunday November 7, 2004 -- 4:00:03 pm
i searched on Google for 'forwards piss me off' as i just received a mailbox full of forwards. At first i thought forwards were fun, though i didn't believe the bull**** that it said would happen at the end e.g. "if you dont forward this to 10 people a girl will come and kill you in your sleep"
But now forwards really piss me off. i mean, i dont even read them yet people still think i enjoy reading a two page long email full of crap with a load of crappy animations and 'smileys' stuffed into the middle of some made up story.
Sure the occasional joke of picture is funny, but please, stop with the crap people.

FROM: kirsty
DATE: Sunday November 7, 2004 -- 4:01:20 pm
* occasional joke or picture

DATE: Sunday November 7, 2004 -- 5:11:18 pm
Ashley,

You can start expecting 50 forwards from me per day, starting tomorrow. I'll get my cousin, Prince Akbar from Nigeria, to send you an email about transferring money.

FROM: Jules
DATE: Tuesday June 28, 2005 -- 1:30:24 pm
Paul and Ashley,

Paul way to tell Ashley what a dumb ass she is for posting such a lame comment. I love the way you broke it down, and I completely agree with your interpretation. Some people are just plain stupid.

DATE: Tuesday June 28, 2005 -- 3:45:38 pm
I didn't forward someone's forward to anyone and five days later something bad happened . . . I got another forward.

Fed Up October 18, 2007, 6:13 pm

I have just changed my email address and told everyone in my address book that I did so because of all the spam, junk mail and forwards I was receiving. I specifically requested that NO MORE FORWARDS be sent to me. My brother-in-law has just sent me two forwards in quick succession and I have had to repeat my email at the risk of family becoming mad at me. I DON’T WANT FORWARDS… I sit in front of machines enough all day and DON’T HAVE TIME FOR BS!
DANGIT! What do I DO?