Fred "Rerun" Barry once commented here.

April 28th, 2002

Fruit Leather

A tasty find: Fruit Leather!

I first encountered Fruit Leather at Trader Joe’s, a fantastic grocery store. They featured Fruit Leather as a pick, and for just 29 cents I couldn’t pass it up. Since then, I’ve seen it selling for anywhere from 50 cents to a whole buck. The best part is that Fruit Leather is just… fruit. That’s it. As a bonus, the company offers Organic Fruit Leather too.

The Leather itself is very good. I used to enjoy eating dried fruits (massive bags are available at Costco, y’see) and Fruit Leather is a nice, cheaper alternative. I appreciate that the company’s site goes into some detail about how Fruit Leather is made.

If you haven’t tried Fruit Leather, you can get a free sample – 50 are given away each day. If you’ve tried it, what do you think? I think it tastes better than real leather would.

Posted in Food and Beverage

FROM: fresh
DATE: Sunday April 28, 2002 -- 10:51:52 am
this stuff is excellent

FROM: Paul [E-Mail]
DATE: Sunday April 28, 2002 -- 6:01:23 pm
Of note: tomorrow night on Food Network, an episode of Unwrapped will divulge how Fruit Leather is made. Cool.

FROM: Elizabeth
DATE: Sunday April 28, 2002 -- 9:49:52 pm
On MST3K, when Pearl, Bobo, and Brain Guy are on the camping planet with the space children, Brain guy makes some fruit leather to entertain the kids while the guys in the satellite put on a TV show to keep the kids occupied. Quite a funny scene.

In my opinion, fruit leather is the healthy equivalent to Fruit Roll Ups (which are gross).

FROM: MollyCule
DATE: Monday April 29, 2002 -- 12:57:45 am
In my opinion, fruit leather is just the even grosser version of already gross Fruit Roll-Ups. As a diabetic who lives with a vegan, I've tried at least 4 different varieties, each one grosser than the last. Sorry.

FROM: Robert [E-Mail]
DATE: Monday April 29, 2002 -- 2:10:45 am
I like fruit and I'm into leather . . . could this not be the perfect marriage? :-P

FROM: Jeani
DATE: Tuesday April 30, 2002 -- 1:20:42 pm
Yuck! That about sums up my opinion on the matter.

My parents didn't allow me to have sugar as a child, so I have disturbing memories of chomping on fruit leather while my friends played with Fruit Roll-ups. That's no kind of life for an 8 year old.