The original Ping was painfully written in Perl.

June 10th, 2002

What’s in a Name?

Have you ever felt like you were stuck with a bum name?

I’ve never felt wronged with my first name. Paul is now officially out of favor with most people, but I like it. It’s one syllable, easy to remember, pretty easy to spell, and certainly fits my “wacky zany goofball” personality.

But Ryan’s name is still popular – he’s at #19!

A few surprises from the list: Caleb is the 43rd most popular boy’s name; Tristan ranks as a popular boy’s name; and, about a third of the girls’ names are either clever misspellings (“Jordyn”, “Kaylee”) or seemingly out there (“Makayla”). One thing is clear: kids being born in the 00s are primed to be the next Rainbows and Sunshines.

Posted in Miscellaneous

FROM: Chris [E-Mail]
DATE: Monday June 10, 2002 -- 12:39:54 pm
My name is unusual in that it is just Chris - not Christopher. People always assume it is though.

Also - neither of my kid's names (Brexton and Delaney) are anywhere to be found on the top 100. That is a good thing.

FROM: Jim
DATE: Monday June 10, 2002 -- 2:30:23 pm
This link shows the top 1000 names, based on a much larger sample.

FROM: Jim
DATE: Monday June 10, 2002 -- 2:31:46 pm
Let's try this again:

DATE: Monday June 10, 2002 -- 3:01:38 pm
It's funny that Ryan is so high up -- I really haven't known that many other Ryan's in my life.

FROM: Elizabeth [E-Mail]
DATE: Monday June 10, 2002 -- 8:36:06 pm
Elizabeth is #7??? What's up with that? I thought I was an original. Thankfully, my former nickname "Betsy" is not on the 100er or the 1000er, so at least I can be sort of cool. Ah, the poor babies of 2001 will never know the joy of hearing "Betsy Wetsy wet the bed" in a jeering voice.

Also, I noticed that "fresh" isn't on there either.. care to comment, fresh?

FROM: Robert [E-Mail]
DATE: Monday June 10, 2002 -- 11:47:05 pm
If I ever get tired of my too-popular first name I'll start demanding everyone call me by my totally unpopular middle name, Alton.

DATE: Tuesday June 11, 2002 -- 12:40:23 am
Alton is a rocking middle name, almost as much as Loring.

FROM: Robert [E-Mail]
DATE: Tuesday June 11, 2002 -- 9:46:42 am
No, it rocks more than Loring.

FROM: Rob [E-Mail]
DATE: Tuesday June 11, 2002 -- 12:06:04 pm
I'll never get too tired of your first name, Robert.

I'll never let anyone call me by my middle name. :P

FROM: Greg
DATE: Tuesday June 11, 2002 -- 5:40:54 pm
Did anyone else notice that the top 10 or 15 female names on the "100" list all made pretty good stripper names? Is this a prediction of the future?

FROM: Paul [E-Mail]
DATE: Tuesday June 11, 2002 -- 10:44:07 pm
They also make good first names for Congresspeople.

FROM: King Random
DATE: Friday June 14, 2002 -- 10:48:49 pm
Ha, I win! my name, or at least my nickname, is not on any of those lists. I feel special and different now.
"yes, little kid, we would have you believe you are a special and indevidual person, just like everyone else."

FROM: Marcus Mackey
DATE: Saturday June 15, 2002 -- 4:18:55 pm
Holy Batwing's Batman... I'm 105th most popular by first name? Who'd have thunk it... I thought my first name was a fairly rare name in most circles (esp. compared to something like Mark). Alternate spelling at 658 (Markus... *ick*)...

Even scarier, my middlename is 414th (I figured it'd be more popular than my first)... and my first name beat Paul out by 6 places! Now that scares me...

Altogether, Paul and I both beat out Kenny (us bastards!!) and my dad didn't even make the list with "Willard"; which compared to some of the names on there... is a bit more conservative. Closest I think I saw was Wilfredo... now while I knew a Willfred; Wilfredo?

I have to admit to having a special fondness for Aidan/Aiden; then again one of my favorite artists (BRUTE) is named Aidan Hughes.

FROM:
DATE: Wednesday August 27, 2003 -- 10:52:47 pm
chesty rox a boing boing.
nick name, chesty rox

FROM: mike Wohl
DATE: Sunday October 26, 2003 -- 11:03:26 pm
God is love know his name, and if you give yourself,and heart to him you can live eternally!!

DATE: Monday October 27, 2003 -- 9:03:11 am
The Daily Ping: Eternally Saving Souls.