This Ping redesign took 7 years and cost $58 million in taxpayer dollars.

December 5th, 2002

First Snow

Today marks the first snow Virginia has seen this season, and really the first real snow in a couple of years. It’s estimated to be around 6 or 7 inches in my area by the time all is said and done. I’ll be staying home today, as roads are supposedly pretty treacherous, and enjoying a “snow day” as much as if I were still ten years old.

How will the rest of you on the east coast spend your snow day?

And for historical sake, I’d like to point you towards the June 25, 2000 comment from Matt on this Ping. It’s from June, but also applies to pre-snowstorms. Plus, it’s one of my favorite Ping comments ever.

Posted in Everyday Life

FROM: Rob [E-Mail]
DATE: Thursday December 5, 2002 -- 11:27:15 am
Well, I was unfortunate enough to have put off my grocery shopping until last night, since it couldn't really wait any longer by then. It was rough going trying to find the basics. But it was better than I expected.

Not sure how I'll be spending my snow day. Probably trying to relax, as I haven't been able to sleep well at all since coming back from Thanksgiving.

FROM: Chris [E-Mail]
DATE: Thursday December 5, 2002 -- 12:26:49 pm
I've already shoveled the driveway, and I was missing my short little one car driveway from Leesburg too! I've also thrown snowballs at the kids and Michelle. While I was shoveling the kids built a defensive snow wall and stocked up the snowballls behind it. I think I know what I'm doing later this afternoon too!

FROM: Robert [E-Mail]
DATE: Thursday December 5, 2002 -- 4:02:21 pm
Snow day? Man, I had to work! Fortunately, they're paying us all double time for today and tomorrow. Schweet!

FROM: qwik
DATE: Thursday December 5, 2002 -- 8:42:22 pm
well since I work in a school, it was closed today. I just got a call 2 minutes ago that it is closed again tomorrow!!!

FROM: Rob [E-Mail]
DATE: Thursday December 5, 2002 -- 8:55:24 pm
Yeah, it looks like Fairfax County schools are closed tomorrow. Even though we're a private school, we follow Fairfax County, so it looks like I'm having a 4 day weekend. :)

DATE: Saturday December 7, 2002 -- 10:54:25 pm
I'm doing some seasonal delivery work for UPS, so we were about the only vehicle on the road. The best part was the reaction of the people when I showed up with the packages. They all had planned on their omlets and fiber filled craps being the highlights of their day, but that was all screwed when their RonCo products arrived.

DATE: Sunday December 8, 2002 -- 1:02:08 am
I think you may have topped your initial comment there, Matt. :)