Angry Birds is still not available on The Daily Ping.

February 19th, 2003

Find Your Spot

Out of all the online quizzes that were popular a year or two ago, one site actually made available a worthwhile survey that helps guide you towards places that you might like to live: FindYourSpot.com. Answer a few pages of questions about lifestyle, climate, etc. and you are given a series of locations that you might want to consider for your next big move.

For mine, I was looking for a small-medium sized town in close proximity to cultural activities, preferably progressive in nature. I also noted that I like snow during my winters and I enjoy warm (but not hot) summers. Tops on my list: Northampton, Massachusetts (“This small town at the foot of the Berkshires has been recognized for its cultural offerings, many of which are supported by the area’s five colleges”), Andover, Massachusetts, and Johnson, Vermont (“The Lamoille and Gihon rivers, crossed by antique covered bridges, meet in this Vermont mountain town”). While most of my recommendations were limited to the northeast, one from the west coast popped up: Arcata, California (“This vibrant community shines in the midst of the county ranked #1 in the nation for natural amenities”).

Posted in Everyday Life

DATE: Wednesday February 19, 2003 -- 10:27:20 am
Mine were almost all in New England: Hartford, CT; New Haven, CT; Providence, RI; Boston. Also, Sheboygan! Wow.

Thankfully, Chicago did show up on the list.

FROM: Chris [E-Mail]
DATE: Wednesday February 19, 2003 -- 11:41:26 am
Mine were all in the South, Greenville SC and Hattieburg, MS were the top 2.

FROM: Monica
DATE: Wednesday February 19, 2003 -- 12:03:54 pm
cool link!! I got Chicago :-P and a LOT of places in Wisconsin and Oregon. Hmm. But I got Madison, too, and here I am!

DATE: Wednesday February 19, 2003 -- 12:27:25 pm
Maybe it was just me, but the towns seemed awfully random..I got the diverse selection of Grand Junction, CO, Gainsville, FL, Hattiesburg, MS (again) and Albany, NY..

*shrugs* I would bet that absolutely no one gets Wilmington, DE though..;-)

DATE: Wednesday February 19, 2003 -- 12:47:35 pm
Grand Junction! Oh man. No comment. :)

DATE: Wednesday February 19, 2003 -- 2:54:01 pm
I got many places in VA, NC, PA, and NY including Harrisburg, PA, where much of my family is from. I also got Richmond, VA. The one that I've actually considered moving to that I got was Phoenix, AZ.

FROM: Jeani
DATE: Wednesday February 19, 2003 -- 3:08:45 pm
Dave -- I'll comment on Grand Junction. Don't do it! I lived there for 6 years and couldn't wait to get away.

FROM: dave
DATE: Wednesday February 19, 2003 -- 3:31:38 pm
Mine were either in the DC area or in the Pacific Northwest. A couple were way off...#4 was Gaithersburg, MD (which I regard as suburbia hell) and #5 was Little Rock, AR...why???

DATE: Wednesday February 19, 2003 -- 5:30:40 pm
Paul and Jeani --

I'm still trying to figure out what Grand Junction, CO says about me.....I think I need a hug..*sniff*

FROM: Robert [E-Mail]
DATE: Wednesday February 19, 2003 -- 7:15:55 pm
My #1 was Little Rock, so instantly I lost faith in this quiz.

However, my #2, 3, and 4 are like a what's what of places I'd like to live before I die: Portland, Baltimore, and New friggin' Orleans.

It's curious that my current place of residence, Richmond VA, didn't show up on my list. Whatever!

FROM: Susan
DATE: Wednesday February 19, 2003 -- 8:49:53 pm
Neat - 5 choices (including #1 and #2) are within 50 miles of our current home! Now I have some locations to check out if/when we move from Texas.

FROM: Rob [E-Mail]
DATE: Wednesday February 19, 2003 -- 9:07:25 pm
Hrmmm... yeah... I can sorta see you in Andover or Northampton. Sorta.

I'm afraid to find out about mine.

FROM: Kelli
DATE: Thursday February 16, 2006 -- 9:15:18 am
This is a nice site. But like a few of you noted, some of the places named are random. I would go back and tamper with the test and tell it stuff like I did not want to live far (an hour is as far as I can go) from the coast and I too got Little Rock Arkansas! Or Boston, when I said no snow (grew up in beantown thankyouverymuch)!. It was fun for a spell but I have moved on. Sperlings best aka: bestplaces.net is a free, more comprehensive site that offers detailed stats rather than a 4 page blurb on each city.

Good luck.

Mrs. Wilson April 1, 2008, 5:47 pm

Let me give you folks a few words of advice. I am FROM Mississippi, born and raised there. If ANY place in Mississippi comes up on a “Find Your Spot” quiz, you can pretty much disregard the validity of the entire thing. That one point takes any and all value away from it. The fact that several of you came up with Hattiesburg tells me that it’s completely random. That town is nothing but a ghetto hellhole, and so is the entire state. So, just if any of you were considering moving to MS, I would HIGHLY recommend that you re-think your strategy. Just a heads up!