Fred "Rerun" Barry once commented here.

November 14th, 2003

Holiday Shopping

It’s a little early but, uh, have you started shopping for the holidays yet?

My response is a big, fat no. I’ll probably start on the day everyone loves – the day after Thanksgiving. And I’ll only be buying Chillows for everyone.

Posted in Consumer Commentary

FROM: Greg
DATE: Friday November 14, 2003 -- 10:24:00 am
How did you know I have a Chillow on my list? Oh and don't forget about the Roomba.

I started only because the I saw a gift that was perfect for a member of my family, so I picked it up. Am I evil for starting so early?

FROM: Huyen
DATE: Friday November 14, 2003 -- 4:13:44 pm
Glad the Chillow is such a big hit! I'd much rather give the Chillow than receive it since it's getting friggin COLD! And yes, I've begun shopping because I know it will be Christmas Eve before I know it and I'll still need to get gifts. Once I hit Thanksgiving, it snowballs.

FROM: towinlovinit
DATE: Friday November 14, 2003 -- 7:56:38 pm
I usually start the first of Oct. For my family, I get small bags and fill them up with the small stuff. Things you use throughout the year. For ex. postage stamps, can opener, fancy lighter for those who smoke, gift certificates for places like Goodwill, etc., something I hear throughout the year that they use regularly. With five almost grown children, things can get too expensive. X-mas day, they get one gift that runs about $60.00 each. My budget just doesn't stretch that far. If I don't start early, then I get too far behind and then I start stressing out. I could use one of those Chillows. Put me on your X-mas list please!

FROM: Chris [E-Mail]
DATE: Friday November 14, 2003 -- 8:16:54 pm
My wife is almost done for the kids. We have bought a lot of toys on Ebay at great prices. Toys don't get many bids in Aug! We are doing a very low budget Xmas for each other this year since we just blew the family fortune on a week at Disney World.

DATE: Friday November 14, 2003 -- 8:26:01 pm
I started months ago....in my travels, I just buy stuff and put it away with a name on it when I find it.

I am an amateur jeweler and buy beads when I come across them, and yesterday I bought the foundation wires of some cool ornaments which I will make on a rainy or snowy day. I like being able to make something very personal for someone.

Who wants earrings? Gold or silver? Taking orders....

FROM: elwood
DATE: Friday November 14, 2003 -- 10:37:49 pm
it's CHRISTMAS shopping dammit.

DATE: Friday November 14, 2003 -- 10:44:55 pm
Last time I checked there were a number of other gift-giving holidays in December other than Christmas.

FROM: Robert [E-Mail]
DATE: Friday November 14, 2003 -- 11:36:50 pm
it's CHRISTMAS shopping dammit.

Oh, don't be a cristianocentrist. Happy Solstice, everyone!

FROM: towinlovinit
DATE: Saturday November 15, 2003 -- 3:27:41 am
Yea your right. There are other days in Dec. to be celebrated. I got three birthdays to think about too.

Damn! why DID someone have to remind me?