Somehow, Ryan has written over 1 million Pings; Paul, just 60.

January 30th, 2004

Laundry Room Etiquette

Here is what I can come up with for proper laundry room etiquette, when said room is shared. Of course.

1. If you need to use a washer, and someone else’s cycle has finished, you can remove the clothes if a basket is present.
  2. If you need to use a dryer, and someone else’s cycle has finished, you can remove the clothes. No basket? Put them on a counter.
  3. Don’t worry about the lint traps; that’s what the managers are for.
  4. Don’t worry about messes or spills, either.
  5. If you’ve gotta go, go.

Does that cover it?

Posted in Everyday Life

FROM: towinlovinit
DATE: Friday January 30, 2004 -- 12:48:33 am
I'm glad I don't share a laundry room with you!

DATE: Friday January 30, 2004 -- 9:11:53 am
I'm not saying I necessarily agree with these rules, of course - but these are what I've observed. (For instance, I don't like touching other people's laundry. That's weird to me.)

FROM: Alex
DATE: Friday January 30, 2004 -- 9:40:23 am
That's why the washer and dryer I use are in my house. Worth the cost and no funny smells coming from the washer! :-P

DATE: Friday January 30, 2004 -- 10:18:52 am
Proper laundry room etiquette would imply that people should remove their laundry when it's finished, thus preventing the need for others to touch their stuff.

This nearly coincides with my advice for college freshman: 1) go to class, 2) don't walk alone at night, 3) stay with your laundry or it will be stolen. I found the laundry room to be a great place to study.....few interruptions and no phones (no one under age 50 had a cell phone when I was in college!).

FROM: OCD
DATE: Friday February 13, 2004 -- 4:39:37 pm
i don't agree with your lint trap rule. If you don't remove the lint after each use. You're not going to get the full affectiveness of the dryer. It's just plain arrogant to not empty your lint before someone else uses that dryer.

DATE: Friday February 13, 2004 -- 5:15:07 pm
OCD -- Look up sarcasm in the dictionary.

And then read the second comment, written by Paul.

FROM: Jana
DATE: Wednesday March 24, 2004 -- 3:35:38 pm
Managers are nor there to clean up your messes, FYI...If you are going to use a laundry facility, be an adult and clean up after yourself - this includes lint traps...where were you raised? In a barn??

DATE: Wednesday March 24, 2004 -- 4:06:06 pm
I feel a dumb-ass mode coming on, Ryan.

DATE: Wednesday March 24, 2004 -- 5:04:06 pm
Perhaps we should just expose the IPs of the kind folks who can't seem to understand sarcasm.

DATE: Wednesday March 24, 2004 -- 9:29:00 pm
We always emptied the lint traps in my barn, but we were really lazy when it came to emptying the dishwasher.

FROM: Nat
DATE: Monday July 26, 2004 -- 1:57:35 pm
I agree that you should use proper laundry room etiquette, but people should really keep an eye on the time and remove their clothes when it's done. I just came back from the laundry room, and this lady had taken up every washing machine and dryer available. I'm in a hurry, and I went back down an hour later to see if she at least freed up one of the machines, and she hadn't (the wash had been finished for some time). So, I took her clean clothes, set them up on the machine next to it (made sure it was wiped down and clean first) and then put my clothes in it. She came down just as I was doing this (just my luck), and looked very offended. I explained to her that I was in a hurry and that her load was finished for a while. Then she was like, ok, I get it. But really, should I just have waited another half hour, to perhaps find out that she still hadn't removed her clothes? I feel kinda bad, but I'm on a tight schedule here...