Fred "Rerun" Barry once commented here.

June 3rd, 2004

Toilet Top sinks

I know my Pings as of late have been a bit toiletcentric, but please indulge me for one more entry in the category.

This toilet features a sink built into it and allows you to use the water from the tank (pre-flush, of course) to wash your hands. What an ingenious way to use water that’s otherwise wasted. You’ve gotta love creative conservation.

According to Kevin Kelly’s blog, the toilets used to be common and Japan and he ran into one at a Seattle hostel, but are otherwise almost impossible to find. I know I’d add one of these gems to my commode if they became readily available. C’mon, Kohler, hop to it!

Posted in Toilets

FROM: Cat [E-Mail]
DATE: Thursday June 3, 2004 -- 12:41:03 pm
While I like the idea, I'm not willing to lean over my toilet to wash my hands. This would be ideal in a space where you could place the toilet so you could walk up to the back or the front.

FROM: Mike [E-Mail]
DATE: Thursday June 3, 2004 -- 3:31:45 pm
That's just asking for someone to do an upper decker.

DATE: Thursday June 3, 2004 -- 4:31:21 pm
I knew you'd come through for us, Mike!

DATE: Thursday June 3, 2004 -- 6:34:36 pm
I was thinking what Mike said the entire day, but didn't have the you-know-what to come out and say it. Well done!

FROM: Robert [E-Mail]
DATE: Thursday June 3, 2004 -- 10:41:00 pm
That looks exactly like a sink hooked to a dentist's chair.

FROM: Rafael
DATE: Friday June 4, 2004 -- 1:48:57 pm
They just need to re-design the bowl so you can straddle it, do your business while you shave, think about the time savings.

Think about it for a moment, slap a mirror and a shelf on the back wall, add a towel rack on the tank and you are set 8-)

FROM: Anita
DATE: Thursday October 21, 2004 -- 1:06:25 am
We have an identical toilet top sink in our 100 year old house with a teeeeeny downstairs bathroom. We ordered it 15 years ago through an ad in Sunset magazine and haven't seen anything like it since. Would like to replace it with something not plastic. Sidenote: some visitors are squeamish about washing hands with water that looks like it's coming out of the toilet, even if you edjicate 'em.

FROM: CB
DATE: Tuesday November 30, 2004 -- 10:30:49 pm
Sink on top of a toilet? Soundslike the all in one space saving unit featured in most jail cells.