The 10,000th Ping will be published on May 24, 2027. Paul will be just about 50 years old.

January 10th, 2005

Another Stupid Quizno’s Ad

I know this is how viral marketing works: one sees an advertisement so bad and or awful, he discusses it with other people. Then they talk about it, and so on, and so on, until everyone thinks Quizno’s supports pedophiles.

Let’s back up. Last night while watching live TV (as opposed to TiVo,) a commercial came on for Quizno’s. It featured a woman enjoying a sandwich by the pool, talking to someone who starts off camera. She talks about how good the sandwich is, and all that usual stuff.

Then we pan to the other person, and it’s a talking baby. (Note: talking babies are stupid and creep some people out.) The baby responds to the woman in part by saying, “Spoiling you has never been easier.” The baby then alks about Quizno’s subs and all that good stuff. Then the woman says to “Baby Bob,” “You’re looking very hunky.”

That’s about when my wife said, “Wow, she’s a pedophile!” It was only partially in jest, I believe, and that’s pretty much where it crossed the line for me. This is still a freakin’ baby, stupid CGI effects or not, and here is a grown woman hitting on a baby in order to sell toasted sandwiches.

Now I maintain that I still like Quizno’s, but dumb, dumb ads like this make me reconsider. And yes, I know I’m taking the whole thing to a logical conclusion… but that’s what the Ping’s all about.

Posted in Pop Culture

FROM: Chris [E-Mail]
DATE: Monday January 10, 2005 -- 9:12:28 am
I saw that commercial last night too and had the same reaction, although I missed the pedophile angle . I just thought it was another really stupid ad.

DATE: Monday January 10, 2005 -- 9:13:32 am
Wow...a bad commercial which is ripping off a bad, cancelled sitcom.

Sad, sad, sad.

DATE: Monday January 10, 2005 -- 10:37:08 am
Oh wow, nice catch Dave.

Here's something slightly scarier. I recognized the voice of Baby Bob right away as that of the same guy who played "Lust" on Herman's Head. And sure enough, the IMDB confirmed my trivial knowledge.

FROM: Ken
DATE: Monday January 10, 2005 -- 11:53:03 am
Hmmm, sucky commercials, i dont balme them, i couldnt make up different things that are good for 40 years. Like those sucky ass old navy ones witht he singing people , ugh sometimes it is good for christmas, or the holiday season to be over.

FROM: Greg C
DATE: Monday January 10, 2005 -- 2:52:19 pm
You're wrong, Dave...

Baby Bob was the spokesperson for an old .com company known as freeinternet.com, which later became NetZero, sort of like the old pets.com dog (if you remember him). The commercials were HILARIOUS, you can still find them online here and there.

Anyway, they spun Bob onto a horrible, horrible sitcom.

So now he's been bought (just like the pets.com dog was when pets.com went belly-up), and you see him on Quizno's ads.

I actually was HAPPY when I saw Baby Bob again! That guy's my hero.
You must have been watching 24...

Greg

FROM: Ken
DATE: Monday January 10, 2005 -- 9:00:36 pm
Wait, so you are trying to say that the talking baby idea was like copyrighted?

DATE: Monday January 10, 2005 -- 11:47:46 pm
Not the idea... that particular baby. Baby Bob.

FROM: Greg C
DATE: Tuesday January 11, 2005 -- 11:35:45 am
What Ryan said. :)

The talking baby idea isn't new, but Baby Bob is copyrighted. Baby Bob is very specific, he has a distinct personality that makes you remember him, and a distinct voice. He also identifies himself as "Bob".

Greg

DATE: Tuesday January 11, 2005 -- 11:43:53 am
Greg --

I kinda remember those freeinternet.com spots..The sitcom was absolutely atrocious, though.

Seems like Quizno's really needs to get a new advertising agency....aw hell, anything is better than the last set of spots, with the hand puppets.

DATE: Tuesday January 11, 2005 -- 5:44:15 pm
We just got Quizno's in our area, but they haven't been running commercials. I guess I'm missing out, sort of.

FROM: cate [E-Mail]
DATE: Wednesday January 19, 2005 -- 2:29:01 pm
In case you're still not over the trauma of those icky puppet things from their last campaign, you can buy one on eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1469&item=5549855246 - yeah someone decided to recreate those... I wonder if one could woo a talking baby with a "hand made sponge monkey"...

FROM: Katie
DATE: Monday February 7, 2005 -- 6:02:08 pm
So sorry to read that you didn't appreciate the art of acting on the Quizno's commercials. The Baby Bob idea wasn't copyrighted for Quizno's b/c they owned the right's before the sitcom. I think the commercials are adorable!

FROM: Jake Cranston
DATE: Tuesday February 22, 2005 -- 6:45:11 pm
I dunno. I think it's cute. Does anyone remember what Quizno's USED to do for commercials? A guy sucking on a wolf teat? Anybody?

FROM: Dennis
DATE: Monday March 14, 2005 -- 11:53:43 pm
Good point, Jake. In contrast to the guy and the wolf teat-sucking concept, the talking baby seems in much better taste. There will always be commericals that will make us miss Baby Bob.

FROM: Drew Wiseman
DATE: Wednesday April 13, 2005 -- 2:19:22 am
Hmm, someone doesn't like something so they take that which they do not like and pair it with something else that they do not like and then they pass it on so that someone else talks about it, and so on, and so on, until everyone thinks that the person who complained first is extremely intelligent and that the original idea is Baaaaaaad.

We don't want people thinking for themselves. We will ban all books, all literature, all intelligible writings and we will burn them! (Hitler).

As for the TiVo that you watch -- I didn't see Bob without clothes, I didn't see Bob being molested. I didn't see anything of the sort -- I saw a lady telling someone that they are buff -- does BUFF mean they want to rip off clothes? Does Buff mean they are pedophiles because Bob is young? How many times have people older than you told you that you look nice? Did they want to rip your clothes off?

Me thinks the lady doth protest too much and her husband apparantly does also!

Ain't America great? Any Idiot can have a stupid opinion.

DATE: Wednesday April 13, 2005 -- 7:33:46 am

Wow, let's not... uhm... exaggerate or anything here. After all, the Daily Ping IS a serious academic journal.

No, but that wasn't my point - and get your facts straight, it was "hunky" which has a waaay different denotation and connotation.

Does Buff [sic] mean they [sic] are pedophiles because Bob is young?

"Buff" is now out of the question. "Hunky," though, is a bit creepy.

How many times have people older than you told you that you look nice?

Red herring.

Ain't America great? Any Idiot [sic] can have a stupid opinion.

Agreed!

FROM: Wayne
DATE: Saturday April 16, 2005 -- 2:18:15 am
Ok, does anyone else think that Greg and Katie work in some strange aspect of the advertising industry that pitches the creepy talking babies. Whether it be Baby Bob or or some other infant talent, talking babies are just plain creepy. I've been trying to understand exactly "who" is the target audience for these ads and I still can't figure it out.

FROM: chandler bing
DATE: Thursday June 2, 2005 -- 10:45:39 pm
anyone know who the voice of baby bob is in the quiznp's commercials? sounds familiar but i can't put my finger on who it is

DATE: Friday June 3, 2005 -- 7:40:34 am
Psst! Look at the comments above yours! Way up!

FROM: Richard
DATE: Monday September 26, 2005 -- 7:03:26 pm
For those of you who think Baby Bob is creepy, I wonder if Dinsey and Pixar movies make you cry at nights. You know... talking fishes, talking cows, talking ants and even talking cars. If a talking baby is creepy, then I can only assume talking animals are worse. Logistically. Oh yes, don't those movies also includes inter-species relationship. Isn't those scary?

DATE: Monday September 26, 2005 -- 8:25:33 pm

Uh, Baby Bob? Is a real baby. Dinsey [sic] and Pixar movies are... animated. If you can't tell the difference between an animated movie and a CGI mouth on a real baby - in addition to not knowing how to spell "Disney" - that's a big problem.

DATE: Tuesday September 27, 2005 -- 12:18:35 pm
Now that Quizno's has moved into my area, rather aggressively, I see that damned Baby Bob all the time. On the latest one he's strapped to some professional female volleyballer.

He talks too much. He doesn't make me want to buy anything, and I don't really learn anything about Quizno's from the commercial. Besides, I've finally gone to Quizno's, now that they're here (and running ads) and I've already mentioned somewhere that the only high points Quizno's earn from me are on the Toasted-But-Still-Stale-Bread-O-Meter, the Rip-Off Index, and the "I'm trying to be the Starbuck's of sandwiches" scale. Funny, Baby Boob doesn't mention any of these turn offs, or the fact that Subway is way better, even if Quizno's managed to scare them into toasting their already awesome bread.

DATE: Tuesday September 27, 2005 -- 5:35:19 pm
Baby Boob

Outstanding typo!

FROM: u should no
DATE: Saturday January 14, 2006 -- 6:51:39 pm
um ya i seriously think u have way too much time on your hands and r a mega nerdwad if u spend ur time analyzing a commercial. its supposed to be funny hun get a sense of humor

FROM: Gennie
DATE: Tuesday January 17, 2006 -- 8:55:06 pm
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I KNEW I recognized the voice of baby Bob, as soon as I heard it I pictured that guy sittiing in the recliner and I couldnt remember the name of the show (Hermans Head, short lived wasnt it??) but I feel soo much better now that someone has confirmed it for me.