The Story About Ping was about a duck, not this website.

January 9th, 2005

Bills and Checks

I remember my dad used to sit down in his den for hours each month and write out checks for the bills that came in. Things have changed, though, and when bills come in at my house, we only write a couple of checks each month. The rest are paid online, most of them automatically.

How many checks are you still writing each month to pay bills?

Posted in Everyday Life

FROM: Ken
DATE: Sunday January 9, 2005 -- 11:35:04 am
Ugh, i waited all morning for a ping i cannot comment on. Well my mom does all of hers on quicken.

DATE: Sunday January 9, 2005 -- 12:35:25 pm
They can't all be winners, Ken.

FROM: Cat [E-Mail]
DATE: Sunday January 9, 2005 -- 12:51:25 pm
Just one, for the rent. I could do that through my service, but it's hard to justify since I just walk the check to the next building.

I love the web.

DATE: Sunday January 9, 2005 -- 1:43:45 pm
We do the rent (and parking,) the car loan, electric, and gas via check. Everything else is online, on the Internetting.

FROM: Merle [E-Mail]
DATE: Sunday January 9, 2005 -- 3:54:21 pm
Three a month, on average.

One for cable, since in all their high-falutin' cool technology they cannot manage to auto-debit accounts. One for rent, of course. And usually one other (some random donation or investment).

Everything else auto-debits from either checking or credit card. Credit card auto-debits are cool. The bill comes, after a month it goes on your card... and only needs paying yet another month later. Pretty sweet.

FROM: Ken
DATE: Sunday January 9, 2005 -- 8:13:57 pm
Yea, only half of them are, and that is paul's half!

DATE: Monday January 10, 2005 -- 12:35:26 pm
Four:

1. Rent

2. The car payment (credit union)

3. Men's Wearhouse bill (no online capability).

4. One of my student loans (whose website sucks)

I do all credit cards and other school loans on line individually at the vendor's site. I may be switching to auto pay through my bank, in which case I may be able to do all of the bills but the rent--but we'll see if I can do that, too. Then, the only thing I'll need a check for is the occassional film processing from clarkcolor.com