The Ping is self-aware.

January 11th, 2006

The Age Project

The other day I got sucked into The Age Project, a web site that follows the “Hot or Not” mode of operation, but instead asks visitors to guess people’s age based solely on a photo. After you guess, you’re told how old the person really is and what the average guess is.

Since I’m often mistaken for significantly younger than I am, I decided to post my picture to see how old I appear to strangers. I was expecting 25 or 26, maybe even a little younger. I mean, after all, I was just carded a few weeks ago.

But, no. Apparently, to the nine people that have guessed so far, I appear to be 40. 40!

Not that 40 is old. But I’ve never once been told I look older than I am, so to be estimated at ten years older than my real age is a bit of a shock. I’m not even grey or bald! (Yet.)

Posted in Miscellaneous

DATE: Wednesday January 11, 2006 -- 1:25:19 pm
Which photo did you post? Remember, to a 13 year old, you probably do seem 40 in their naive eyes and mind. In first grade, I thought my teacher was 40 when in reality she had just graduated from college.

I was 13 in first grade, yes that's true.

DATE: Wednesday January 11, 2006 -- 4:28:41 pm
This one.

FROM: Aaron [E-Mail]
DATE: Wednesday January 11, 2006 -- 4:38:22 pm
Dude, you look hella old in that picture.

DATE: Wednesday January 11, 2006 -- 4:43:25 pm
They could be guessing the pigeon's age. I mean, there are two subjects in that photo--it's confusing.

Besides, how old someone looks in real life is almost always at variance with what they look like in a photo. You just have the formula backwards. You're supposed to look even younger in a photo!

If they were guessing your age, by that photo, I think that guessing forty is being nice. You look seriously geezerly.

FROM: COD
DATE: Wednesday January 11, 2006 -- 5:20:18 pm
With that shadow on your face - you do look older. Either that, or they are figuring anybody that will let a pigeon poop on their head must be at least 40 and senile ;)

DATE: Wednesday January 11, 2006 -- 5:44:25 pm
I'm going to go crawl into a hole now.

DATE: Wednesday January 11, 2006 -- 9:23:31 pm
It's because of how your skin appears, which is not how it is in real life. Your eye brows being raised caused your forehead to furrow and the shadow on the right side of your face does not show how elastic your skin likely is. It's your posture too. This is not the real you. However, I would NOT have guessed you to be 40. I will be 39 in a little more than 2 months, and I recognize that you are not in my bracket. Woo hoo!

People still guess me to be 27 :o). Maybe I should post a photo and see what happens....hmm.....

DATE: Thursday January 12, 2006 -- 12:46:06 am
jk -- you definitely hide your age well. From the picture I saw of you, I thought you were younger than me.

DATE: Thursday January 12, 2006 -- 9:02:03 am
I'm going to go crawl into a hole now.

Don't worry about it, you're so old they'll be lowering you into one soon enough.

DATE: Thursday January 12, 2006 -- 12:08:00 pm
Outstanding, Joseph. Comment of the year contender.

DATE: Thursday January 12, 2006 -- 10:03:29 pm
I tried to post a groovy photo of myself but it was too large.

I think I hide my age fairly well until you see the lines around my eyes when I smile big for the camera. And I still scoot around with the speed of a 16 year old.

DATE: Friday January 13, 2006 -- 12:26:50 am
And I still scoot around with the speed of a 16 year old.

I take back what I said. Only old people say "scoot."

DATE: Friday January 13, 2006 -- 9:40:19 am
Gotcha!

Paul May 6, 2009, 1:51 am

Site still exists, thankfully, and it also still demonstrates how very bad I am at guessing ages, thankfully.