Fred "Rerun" Barry once commented here.

March 1st, 2006

Personal Sites

The web is a medium in which most readers are also content producers. I’m betting that many of the Ping’s regular visitors have their own site, whether it’s a full-blown site or a blog or even a photo storage account with publicly accessible photos.

Now’s the time to pimp it. Hit us up with your personal web site’s URL. Show us your blog. Shoot, even send us a link to your Myspace profile. But let’s limit this to regular Ping visitors so it doesn’t turn into a free-for-all.

Also, let us know how long you’ve had a web presence, even in the most simple sense.

Here’s mine. I’ve been putting crap on the web since December 1994.

Posted in Technology

FROM: Monica
DATE: Wednesday March 1, 2006 -- 10:49:22 am
well, there's the Ping's Flickr group.... I had 27 looks at my tornadic storm photo!

DATE: Wednesday March 1, 2006 -- 11:18:53 am
Of course my mainstay site for seven years has been phonezilla.net. phonezilla launched in 1999, and I had had a simple web site for about 3 1/2 years before that.

FROM: COD
DATE: Wednesday March 1, 2006 -- 11:19:04 am
O'DonnnellWeb.com - On the web since 12/31/1995

FROM: Maria
DATE: Wednesday March 1, 2006 -- 11:28:24 am
Maria's Saved By The Bell Site, which I'm ashamed to say I've done absolutely nothing with in 3 years. I also have a blog that I haven't updated in, oh, 6 months. My first "web site" was probably in about 1997, and it featured a cloud background and links to my favorite AOL chat rooms. (Give me a break, I was 15!)

FROM: Cat [E-Mail]
DATE: Wednesday March 1, 2006 -- 12:42:01 pm
I've been doing frytopia since May of 2000, though I messed around with stuff starting in about '98.

Paul was one of my first web friends. *waves*

FROM: Merle [E-Mail]
DATE: Wednesday March 1, 2006 -- 2:06:26 pm
Here's my current journal: http://merle_.livejournal.com/ (started about two years ago).

I've been posting junk online since... 1993? Shortly after Mosaic was released, a bunch of friends convinced me. I only had access to Lynx, so had little to no graphics. And most "home pages" back then were simply categorized lists of links to cool sites they had found.

But I can claim to have been uploading content via FTP since 1989...

I won't show you my primary domain, since I have not updated it at all since 1997. *sigh*

FROM: Merle [E-Mail]
DATE: Wednesday March 1, 2006 -- 2:07:05 pm
Now with hyperlink goodness! (*sigh*)

FROM: marc b. [E-Mail]
DATE: Wednesday March 1, 2006 -- 4:08:46 pm
Quietly reading ping since January '04 (late to the party). I started my website in December 1999 (I think).

-Marc
balgavy.com

FROM: COD [E-Mail]
DATE: Thursday March 2, 2006 -- 9:25:37 am
Holy cow Marc, didn't expect to see the 2400 Diner on your blog. I made my first pilgrimage of the year to Carl's last night.

DATE: Thursday March 2, 2006 -- 9:27:31 am
Sweet. Anyone that gives props to the 2400 Diner automatically gets props from me.

FROM: Steve A.
DATE: Friday March 3, 2006 -- 9:46:04 am
I must have missed this yesterday. I've got a site, but it was so long ago I can't access it to update it.

It was primarily created so our families could see the renovation of this house. Unfortunately, as I said, I can no longer access it to update the pictures and other stuff.

Any Pingers who think they can 'get in,' please drop me a note. I'd love to be able to get back!!

Ciao,

FROM: Ken Birch
DATE: Sunday March 5, 2006 -- 6:45:18 pm
I have a facebook with a decent number of pictures
I have recently shut down my xanga, and dont really bother with myspace.