Ain't no party like a Ping party!

July 31st, 2000

Supermarkets, Part Three: Supermarket Sweep

… and of course I can’t avoid merging my supermarket series with a game show related Ping. 🙂

Does anyone remember Supermarket Sweep? It’s still on Lifetime, I believe, right before Shop ‘Til You Drop. It was basically Finders Keepers in a grocery store. After a series of trivia questions, the game culminated in a team v.s. team battle rushing through the mock supermarket to stock up on the most expensive items, trying to score the highest receipt. No double coupons here!

There’s no doubt this show is absolutely goofy (as is Shop ‘Til You Drop, which takes place in a mock mall), but it’s some great mindless entertainment. I used to watch this show daily during the summer when I babysat — the three kids liked it as much as I did. I thought the show was relatively new, but apparently a board game existed for the show back in 1966.

Should you decide to become obsessed with this show, there is a mailing list to join. There’s also an entry on Jump the Shark. -ram

Posted in Everyday Life

FROM: Robert
DATE: Monday July 31, 2000 -- 6:26:10PM
Damn right it's mindless...the dumbest game show EVER. Still, I will watch it.

FROM: Jessica
DATE: Monday July 31, 2000 -- 10:22:17PM
I don't believe they show it on Lifetime anymore. I'm pretty sure they show it on PAX tv network though.

DATE: Monday July 31, 2000 -- 10:48:42PM
Whenever I watch it I dream up who I would take on as my partner. A female would be good so I wouldn't look like the overly effeminite guys that go on there together, but I think hi-fives work better with males

FROM: liz
DATE: Tuesday August 1, 2000 -- 1:37:22AM
it's such a metaphor for american greed. that's why i love it so.

FROM: YOLANDA PEREZ [DEAF]
DATE: Wednesday March 28, 2001 -- 5:10:46PM
HI DAVID R IS HOW ARE YOU IS ME CANT HEAR OK IS MY NAME YOLANDA PEREZ IS PLS TELL IF NO OR YES GAVE ONE PITURE FOR DAVID RUPRECHT IS ME YES LIKE SUPERMAKET SWEEP OK IS ME DEAF OK ME ALWAYS WATCH IS TV OK ME LOVE GAME OK GOD BLESS YOU OK IF YOU FELL NO OR YES ONE GAVE PICTURE OK GOD BLESS YOU KISS ALL OK MY ADDRESS *** address editted out -ram *** OK IS MY NAME YOLANDA PEREZ BYE BYE

FROM: Linda Jacobson
DATE: Saturday March 31, 2001 -- 8:17:43AM
I noticed the name Chris Darley
on the credits of the show.
Does he have an Email? I'd like
to send him an email. I'd like
to know if his departed grandmother was Florence Darley. Thanks.

FROM: Jim Harris
DATE: Thursday April 5, 2001 -- 8:18:19PM
Supermarket Sweek definitely is near the top of dumbest game shows ever, but Cash Explosion has to be the worst.

The Ohio Lottery has scratch off cards where one of the 'prizes' is an appearance on Cash Explosion. Everyone wins money by randomly selecting squares on a big board which have dollar amounts behind them. At least Supermarket Sweep could pick which contestants to put on the air - these Cash Explosion contestants barely had a pulse. I'd hope if I won $20,000 on TV, I could at least crack a smile.

Perhaps Old Fezziwig remembers this show? I think half of the contestants were from Lorain anyways, weren't they Slick?

FROM: Jim Harris
DATE: Thursday April 5, 2001 -- 8:19:26PM
Supermarket Sweep...not Sweek. Better correct that before I get flamed by the spelling Nazis. :-)

FROM: Old Fezziwig
DATE: Friday April 6, 2001 -- 8:52:28AM
Yes, I have to defy my Ohio roots and agree that Cash Explosion is probably the worst game show ever. It still airs every Saturday night and I've known two or three people that have actually been contestants on the show.
-Fezz

FROM: Tunisia Jante' Tucker
DATE: Wednesday August 8, 2001 -- 3:29:20PM
David Ruprecht is very cool. I think he should host another game show. Or maybe be a guest star on "To Tell The Truth".

FROM: MollyCule
DATE: Sunday August 12, 2001 -- 7:28:25AM
Two comments about this ping -

I know a girl, a somewhat good friend of mine actually, who lost her virginity in a room where SuperMarket Sweep was on the TV 2 feet away. The blue team won that day. All in all, this story (which is much longer and also involves Burger King) is one of the strangest how-I-lost-my-virginity stories I've ever heard.

As a fellow Ohioan, I know exactly what you guys are talking about with Cash Explosion. Someone from my town got on that show not too long ago, and it was a biiiiig story in The Niles Times, which is published every Wednesday and is 6 pages long.

FROM: susan boyer
DATE: Monday September 3, 2001 -- 6:23:43PM
supermarket sweep is number 1 game show

FROM: Mary
DATE: Saturday April 26, 2003 -- 10:09:20 am
It's such an old show and they don't have many shows like this anymore they have show's like fear factor but this is something you could do shop in a market and it's really nice to watch it

DATE: Saturday April 26, 2003 -- 10:11:43 am
Hey Ryan, have you noticed that puncutation is out of fashion this season? Damn you Tommy Hilfiger!

FROM: Dave Walls
DATE: Saturday April 26, 2003 -- 1:39:52 pm
Paul,

Wait till the fall. I hear PIerre Cardin is putting out a very nice line of semi colons.

And for the women, Vera Wang says it's all about the hyphens this summer.

FROM: Andrew Schroy
DATE: Tuesday July 8, 2003 -- 11:09:12 am
This is one of my favorite shows. Heck, I started watching this show as a young kid, every night at 6 PM on Lifetime. Even if it moved to PAX TV, I'll still watch. I heard recently that this show will be picked up for a 14th season, and that Shop 'Til You Drop won't return to PAX airwaves. I know I shouldn't be saying this, but I actually liked watching Shop 'Til You Drop, even at six years old, so sue me for saying that. However, there's one question I'd like to ask:

Does anyone know why Randy West replaced Johnny Gilbert as announcer for the 2000 PAX revival?
Also, if the show is no longer going to be on PAX, what's another network that could air brand-new episodes of this show? I'm thinking GSN. What do you say?

FROM: Andrew Schroy
DATE: Tuesday July 8, 2003 -- 11:14:39 am
Molly, you gotta check out $enor'$ $illy $+a+i$+ic$! on "Senor Jon" Wood's website. In a section where he mentions the colors of the team's shirts, he mentions that Supermarket Sweep has a burgundy team (team 1), turquoise team (team 2), and yellow team (team 3), not red, blue, and yellow as you and I might think.

FROM:
DATE: Saturday January 1, 2005 -- 2:39:27 pm

FROM: Michael
DATE: Sunday April 30, 2006 -- 4:58:07 am
Does enyone have the supermarket sweep instructions for the britannia make of it. if you have e-mail me the instructions