The 10,000th Ping will be published on May 24, 2027. Paul will be just about 50 years old.

December 13th, 2000

Alarm Clocks and Snoozing

I am certainly not a morning person. The fact I have to set three alarms (there is another, but I haven’t replaced the battery in it yet) is a testament to that. There’s one alarm on either side of the bed; one of them I purposely set well before I intend on getting up and the other on the time I actually plan on getting up (and both clocks are 15-20 minutes fast). Then I have an “emergency alarm” which not only covers me in case I sleep through the first two alarms, but it’s a wind-up clock in case the power goes out. But even with all that, I still will usually end up snoozing 8-9 times before actually getting up. It’s quite a ritual, but I find that when I finally do get out of bed, I’m actually ready to get up.

How many alarm clocks do you use? How many times do you hit the “snooze” bar before actually getting out of bed? Am I just insane or do others have similarly bizarre sleeping habits? -ram

Posted in Everyday Life

FROM: Robert
DATE: Wednesday December 13, 2000 -- 8:41:16AM
I have my radio set to go on at 6:45. As soon as it does, I jump out of bed and turn the volume down, then get back into bed. Five minutes later, my alarm on the other side of the room goes off. I turn that off and set it to go off again in five minutes. All that getting out of bed helps me wake up and be the bright, shining star I am every morning.

FROM: Old Fezziwig
DATE: Wednesday December 13, 2000 -- 8:53:14AM
I only use one alarm clock but I have to set it 2 hours before I actually plan on getting up: 6am. I don't use the snooze button either - my body is trained to wake up for a time check somewhere around 7am and then again at 7:40am. Don't know how I fell into this routine but it works so I'm not messing with it.
-Fezz
www.oldfezziwig.com

FROM: Robert
DATE: Wednesday December 13, 2000 -- 10:42:40AM
BTW, Ryan, good choice of signature pic.

DATE: Wednesday December 13, 2000 -- 11:06:56AM
LOL, Robert -- didn't even realize that.

FROM: Robert
DATE: Wednesday December 13, 2000 -- 11:24:43AM
It was an act of your unconscious mind...which remains in bed at this very moment.

FROM: Tony
DATE: Wednesday December 13, 2000 -- 11:42:26AM
I get up a 5am, and finish my homework (save some, for the morning.) do the homework, at 5:45am. Then at 6:00 set my alarm (extremly easy to set) for 6:30am . At which point I get up finally. My alarm clock haas no snooze, I bought it for that reson exactly.

FROM: Robert
DATE: Wednesday December 13, 2000 -- 12:28:31PM
I am always advising friends to put their alarm clocks out of reach of the bed so that they actually have to get up to turn it off, which aids in waking up. Some have thought it was a good idea, but to date no one I know has adopted it. You're missing out, people!

DATE: Wednesday December 13, 2000 -- 2:49:16PM
Robert -- That's what I do with my "emergency alarm" ... what I fear is injuring myself getting out of bed to turn off the alarm.

FROM: Rob
DATE: Wednesday December 13, 2000 -- 3:49:07PM
I just set my alarm for 7am and get up then. It's rare that I fall asleep again, though that's happened a couple times and happened a few times in college. If I wake up some time between 6 and 7, I often just give up and get up then, since I know my body won't let me get back to sleep for real. I WISH I needed several alarm clocks to get up.

DATE: Wednesday December 13, 2000 -- 6:20:26PM
I usually wake up anywhere from 5-15 minutes before my alarm goes off and I turn it off and wake up on time.

FROM: liz
DATE: Thursday December 14, 2000 -- 4:46:08AM
i continutally sleep through my alarm, not even hitting snooze. when my tv was in my bedroom, and before my stereo got stolen, i set them to go off, turned up very high, as well. just this morning i set three cellphones (mine and my roommates') two inches by my head and made them all go off within minutes of one another so that i'd wake up in time for my final.

DATE: Thursday December 14, 2000 -- 7:25:22AM
I always get up at the first sound from my alarm (radio). And on days like today, I beat the clock... which is really frustrating.

Ever since my last job, I haven't been able to sleep in... even on weekends. That's frustrating, too.

DATE: Thursday December 14, 2000 -- 9:11:25AM
Hah! Today my "emergency alarm" came in handy... 25,000 people in Northern VA (and 7,000 in my town) were without power when they woke up. So, my trusty wind-up clock worked after the battery backups on my others died out.

Liz -- That's rough being that tough to wake up. I get like that occasionally, but much less than when I was in college.

FROM: Robert
DATE: Thursday December 14, 2000 -- 9:35:15AM
I was planning to get up a few minutes early this morning. But as soon as I turned on the news and saw that all of the schools were delayed, I got my ass right back in bed. The end result: I was up at 745 instead of 640. U-S-A! U-S-A!

FROM: Dave
DATE: Thursday December 14, 2000 -- 12:49:41PM
My Alarm clock has 2 alarms.. One is the radio and one is a Buzzer.. The Radio Goes off at 5:15 and I mever hear it despite the fact its turned up pretty loud. I sleep right through it.. I do however hear the second BUZZER alarm that goes off at 6:10.. hmmm... ..ZZZZZZZZZZZ....

FROM: Simmer
DATE: Tuesday January 22, 2002 -- 3:52:28 pm
I set my alarm for 7:00am and after the countless times hitting the "snooze" I'm out of bed around 7:27am. I'm so accustomed to hitting the snooze, that I don't even remember hitting it the first couple times. Even this morning, the first time I can remember hearing the alarm was 7:18am.

FROM: Andy
DATE: Monday May 13, 2002 -- 1:53:39 pm
Not a comment more of a question really. Why is it that most alarm clocks have a 9 minute snooze?!
Why not 10 minutes or 8, whats so significant about 9 minutes? Any suggestions I'd love to here 'em.

DATE: Monday May 13, 2002 -- 2:09:54 pm
Andy: check this Straight Dope column for the answer.

FROM: Pasmoka
DATE: Wednesday November 20, 2002 -- 11:33:32 pm
I have three alarm clocks; each one further than the last from my bed, each set to go off 10 mins later. I also have a mini spot light aimed at my bed on a timer which goes off an hour or so before the alarm clocks. Some how I still sleep in! Maybe a bed that dumps me on the floor would work...

FROM: Can\'t Wake Up
DATE: Friday December 20, 2002 -- 4:49:14 pm
I have a serious snoozing problem. I set my alarm for several hours ahead of when I should wake up and I still don't wake up on time! It doesn't matter how early I go to bed! I've tried setting several alarm clocks and putting them all over the room but that doesn't work either! There has to be a better way to wake up in the morning for a person who is definitely NOT a morning person. Any suggestions!?

FROM: Jonathan Bob
DATE: Thursday January 30, 2003 -- 6:32:10 pm
Screw you

FROM: Jonathan BOb
DATE: Thursday January 30, 2003 -- 6:32:54 pm
J/K

FROM: Dave Walls
DATE: Saturday February 1, 2003 -- 4:21:33 am
Okie -- I'm very late on this one, but here's what I do, because getting up early is such a bitch.

I set my clock to what time I need to get up. What's the catch? Easy. I set the time on the clock an hour ahead of what time it actually is. So, if it's really 7am, my clock will say 8am.

Sounds a little too simple, but when your tired ass looks at the clock, and thinks its running late, you can get up real quickly. It's only when you're rushing out the door that you realize you've been fooled.

It's the only thing that has ever gotten me up and out on time in all my life.

FROM: D-Rock
DATE: Thursday February 13, 2003 -- 2:02:44 pm
Adopt a cat, you'll never need an alarm clock again.
~(_8^(l)

FROM:
DATE: Tuesday April 12, 2005 -- 1:09:38 pm
i need info about 5 people waking up at 5:00 and 5 people using an alarm clock

DATE: Tuesday April 12, 2005 -- 3:36:58 pm
The best way to find that, of course, is to post anonymous comments to multiple Pings.