The Story About Ping was about a duck, not this website.

July 21st, 2001

Embarrassing E-Mail Blunders

Have you ever really screwed up on e-mail? Accidentally sent an insulting letter to the victim of your taunting rather than the third party you meant to send it to? How about accidentally forwarding a personal message to a large group of people?

I wish I had a story to inspire you, but the biggest mistake I can remember making is sending a mailing list message out to a group of people that were all listed on the TO: line rather than the BCC: line. This was during my first month at my current company (a mistake that, in a larger company, could have resulted in firing). -ram

Posted in Technology

FROM: Robert
DATE: Saturday July 21, 2001 -- 2:53:00AM
Was it Abraham Lincoln you said that you should write a letter to a person when you get mad at them, and then tear it up? It's really too bad you can't tear up email. I learned that the hard way a few weeks ago. D'oh!

FROM: Terry M.
DATE: Saturday July 21, 2001 -- 11:09:25AM
Me too. I've never really made a technical error in e-mail, but I've written all sorts of e-mails which I shouldn't have. From now on, if I have a bad e-mail to write I will at least sleep on it, and avoid e-mailing people late at night. And avoiding work e-mail from home is definitely a good idea (I've tormented my boss too many times when I've had something on my mind at 1 AM...)

FROM: liz
DATE: Saturday July 21, 2001 -- 2:08:05PM
the bad emails i've sent aren't so much my fault as tequila's. that bastard.

FROM: Robert
DATE: Saturday July 21, 2001 -- 2:22:58PM
Liz--Sammy Hagar would hang you high for that comment.

FROM: Cat
DATE: Monday July 23, 2001 -- 11:44:35AM
I make email blunders so frequently it's become a non-issue. My usual is to send out a meeting announcement with all the details...except the date and time. My motto: Why do it right the first time when you can always send three follow-ups?

Ryan and Paul know this to be true--they're doing the Blogathon and have been victimized by my incompetence.

FROM: