The 5,000th Ping will be published on September 14, 2013.

February 8th, 2002

Pink M&Ms?

Yes, yes, I know that M&Ms have been available in esoteric colors for some time now. But just as we were getting used to the concept of a blue M&M in the regular package, the company has decided to upset the apple cart again.

Yet another color will be introduced to standard M&Ms – and as before, the public will get to vote online in March. The choices? Purple, aqua, and pink. Yes. Pink.

What do you think? Should there be any more colors added to the regular bags, or should the little candies just forget expansion? Maybe this is all a ploy by M&M/Mars to create a special “limited edition” classic M&Ms bag with only the original colors…. -pm

Posted in Food and Beverage

FROM: Greg
DATE: Friday February 8, 2002 -- 10:06:57 am
What I don't understand is that M&Ms already has those proposed colors during the Easter season. Why add them to the normal rotation? It's crazy!

FROM: Elizabeth
DATE: Friday February 8, 2002 -- 11:39:02 am
Don't they know that eating pink OR purple M&Ms will make you gay?

FROM: Chris
DATE: Friday February 8, 2002 -- 11:40:33 am
Regular M & M's for us hetrosexual folks, and M &M's the color of the rainbow flag for gays. I bet they would sell a lot of them...

FROM: Robert [E-Mail]
DATE: Friday February 8, 2002 -- 2:13:59 pm
Pink M&M's are comin' out, so you better get this party started.

DATE: Saturday February 9, 2002 -- 12:47:39 am
Screw M&M's. Stick with a candy unafraid of being plain such as spree.

DATE: Saturday February 9, 2002 -- 12:48:34 am
Screw M&M's. Stick with a candy unafraid of being plain such as spree.

FROM: fresh
DATE: Sunday February 10, 2002 -- 12:12:08 am
aight matt we get the point... remember when they had light and dark brown m&m's? those were teh days. why not a peach color?

FROM: Elvis
DATE: Tuesday April 30, 2002 -- 7:03:47 pm
Whoa Moma,Purple is cool but we need a darker Purple a Royal Purple.Thankyou very much.

FROM: Lauren
DATE: Sunday June 23, 2002 -- 10:57:26 pm
Give me light brown or give me death!!! let us ban together to get light brown back, the best m&m out there. To hell with the pastels!!!!

FROM: Emily
DATE: Friday October 4, 2002 -- 6:05:40 pm
Freshman year in college (1996-7), my roommate and I made a collection of those newly introduced and unsightly blue M&Ms, both regular and peanut, and sent them back to Mars (the company, people) in protest of such a change in the original line-up.

Bring back light brown!

FROM: Bashell
DATE: Monday November 4, 2002 -- 3:47:51 pm
You all have way too much time on your hands!

FROM: Janice A Elmlouk
DATE: Thursday June 19, 2003 -- 3:35:20 pm
"Bring back the light brown m&". I got used to the blue ones but I miss the light brown. Pink! no way! YUCK!!! All I can think of is Pepto Bismol. Purple is not too bad and aqua won't blend in...too light. Bring back the light brown m&m! Thanks Janice

FROM: bob [E-Mail]
DATE: Wednesday July 2, 2003 -- 3:47:07 am
i am all for purple M&MS....just check out my site...you will see....just since when does the color of the M&M matter....you are just going to eat it and....its not like its gonna come out purple or anything...and when you forget to flush...people will be like...he is gay...thats not the way it works

FROM: lightwork
DATE: Thursday January 15, 2004 -- 8:19:17 pm
I heard the pink & white will be special edition for breast cancer research foundation. If so, I'll buy 'em and I'll eat 'em.

FROM: E. Davis
DATE: Saturday January 31, 2004 -- 12:57:42 am
Is it true that a portion of the money spent on the pink M&M's goes to the breast cancer research?

DATE: Saturday January 31, 2004 -- 6:32:31 am
E: I think that when they were first introduced, that was the case. I'm not sure if that continues to be the case or not...

FROM: cruising
DATE: Wednesday February 18, 2004 -- 2:56:40 pm

Check out the details from this link. It appears that the campaign ended Dec 2003 when their goal was met.

FROM: Jackie Hammond
DATE: Monday March 1, 2004 -- 1:09:01 pm
We are having a baby shower and wondered if you had bags of M&M's that were just blue and pink

DATE: Monday March 1, 2004 -- 1:12:26 pm
I think they're in back with the free pens and Progeria pictures.

FROM: Serena
DATE: Thursday April 1, 2004 -- 8:29:49 pm
Yes! Bring back the light brown!

I saw on my bag of m&ms that you can order bags of customized color m&ms in 21 different colors. I thought for sure that I could get a bag of my favorite, light brown. Well, I looked on the website, and those mothaf**kas don't have no light brown m&ms!!!

Furthermore! On the timeline of m&m history, they completely ignore the fact that there ever was a light brown m&m! They list all of the other colors, but no light brown. There is something SERIOUSLY wrong with that.

I don't even eat the blue m&ms. I hate them. I want my freaking LBs. Someone should do something about this. What will they do next? Take away dark brown? Then red? Pretty soon, we won't have any of the good colors left.

FROM: Kate
DATE: Saturday April 10, 2004 -- 12:17:41 pm
I VOTE FOR BLUE M&M'S BECAUSE BLUE IS THE BOMB COLOUR! EVERYONE SHOULD JACK PINK M&M'S AND GIVE THEM TO HILARY DUFF, THAT DITZY RETARD WANTS THEM SO BADLY, MAYBE SHE'LL MKAKE THEM APART OF HER 'STUFF' AT ZELLERS!!! SHE SUCKS SO BAD.

FROM: Stephanie
DATE: Wednesday May 5, 2004 -- 8:55:51 am
i think that they should have bright pink m&ms. if u look pink is the new look for the summer. all the girls like pink. so if u have pink m&ms u might get better business!!!!!!!!! @--}--

FROM: talulah
DATE: Wednesday May 19, 2004 -- 9:17:36 pm
Is it just me, or is dark brown the worst colour? I miss light brown... it was so much better! Yet they make more dark brown m&ms than any other colour. Does anyone know when exactly light brown disappeared?

FROM: Marci
DATE: Thursday August 26, 2004 -- 12:14:24 pm
I just got an email about the pink m&m's and had to run a check on it to see if it was true, so far, nothing.

I totally agree that they really need to stop messing with m&m's. Leave their colors alone!! I also miss the tan one.

FROM: Marci
DATE: Thursday August 26, 2004 -- 12:20:18 pm
FOUND THIS ON THE URBAN LEGEND SITE.

Claim: Part of the proceeds from bags of pink and white M&Ms go to fund breast cancer research.

Status: Was true in the Fall of 2003; that promotion ended; will be true again in the Fall of 2004.

Example: [Collected on the Internet, 2003]

The makers of M&M candies has teamed up with the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation to raise funds through the sale of their new "pink & white" M&M candies. For each 8-ounce bag of the special candies sold, the makers of M&M (Masterfoods) will donate 50 cents to the foundation. The next time you want a treat, please pick up a bag (now sold in stores nationwide) - you will be donating to a great cause and satisfying your sweet tooth.

Please pass on to all your family and friends. — Thank you.

Origins: Recent
years have brought an awareness of how widespread is breast cancer, a disease which the American Cancer Society estimates will be diagnosed in 211,300 new cases and cause 40,000 deaths in 2003 alone, making this an illness that is everyone's business.

We're happy to report this is one of the rare e-mail exhortations that is truthful. In 2003 sales of 8-ounce bags of pink and white M&Ms resulted in Masterfoods donating 50 cents per bag to the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation, a charitable organization that funds cancer research, education, and screening. The foundation is very good at what is does and has raised $450 million in the past 21 years, $139 million in 2002 alone.

The Fall 2003 pink-and-white M&Ms promotion ended in December 2003.

On July 1, 2004 Masterfoods (the maker of M&Ms) announced it would run the promotion again in the , vending the pink and white candies in September, October, and November of that year. The corporation promised a minimum donation of $250,000 to the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation no matter how sales turn out, but also established an upper limit of $650,000 for its donation.

It is therefore not true that every time someone buys a bag of the pink and white confections that 50 cents will go to the Foundation, because there is a limit to the corporate benevolence Masterfoods is willing to expend on this promotion. The candy maker capped its 2004 potential donation at $650,000, which means once 1.3 million bags of the pink and white candies are vended the campaign is over. (This is the same as the 2003 campaign which also topped out at $650,000).

FROM: Becca
DATE: Tuesday September 14, 2004 -- 6:02:42 pm
Why would they come out with more colors?? I like the colors just the way that they are!! Thats gay to be coming out with more colors!! Just Kepp them they same color, or else no one would probley buy them unless their stupid and gay!!

IM me on AIM- Xo6babiig9oX

DATE: Tuesday September 14, 2004 -- 11:48:05 pm
Good God, after reading some of tonight's comments, I'm beginning to really lose (loose?) faith in humankind.

Xo6babiig9oX

A sign that I'm getting old: aside from the straight edge reference, I have no idea what the hell that's even supposed to mean. Maybe that just means I'm stupid and gay.

DATE: Wednesday September 15, 2004 -- 7:20:44 am
It's likely that the comment "kepped" you stupid and gay, Ryan.

FROM: Jessica
DATE: Wednesday September 15, 2004 -- 8:24:43 am
why the hell does it matter what the the color is!!!!!! Its a m&m and thats all that matters.

FROM: Angel Girl
DATE: Sunday September 19, 2004 -- 10:17:10 pm
Personally, I feel that they should leave the colors alone. Another thing - it is bull that pink is considered a girl color because all girls supposedly like pink. I don't really like pink at all. I actually prefer lavender or light blue.

And also, the junk about the homosexuals claiming that their color is purple and that their symbol is the rainbow is just stupid.

Anyway, colors are colors. Just ticks me off when someone makes them into a taboo thing just because they claim that it is their color. Eating a certain color will not make you gay. Just like having gay parents or gay friends cannot make you gay. It is a choice they made not a genetic thing or disease.

Okay, now about tan -When the original "M&M's"® Milk Chocolate Candies mix was introduced in 1941, the colors were red, yellow, green, brown, orange and violet. In 1949 tan replaced violet. The color Blue replaced Tan in 1995. "M&M's"® Peanut Chocolate Candies were introduced in 1954 in all brown and in 1960 red, green, and yellow were added. Orange was added to the "M&M's"® Peanut Chocolate Candies package in 1976 and replaced with blue in 1995. "M&M's"® Peanut Butter Chocolate Candies and "M&M's"® Almond Chocolate Candies, are red, yellow, blue, green, and brown. "M&M's"® Crispy Chocolate Candies include red, yellow, green, blue, orange, and brown.

And about baby colors for a baby shower.

"M&M's"® Milk Chocolate Candies are also available in 21 custom colors, "M&M's"® COLORWORKS®, a unique dispenser system that can be found in specialty candy stores across the United States. These different colors allow consumers to create and personalize their own mix of colors. "M&M's"® COLORWORKS® can also be purchased directly on this web site by selecting the Home Shopping Channel.

DATE: Monday September 20, 2004 -- 11:33:25 am
Eating a certain color will not make you gay.

This gets my nomination for Best Line on the Ping 2004.

FROM: Sebastania
DATE: Sunday October 24, 2004 -- 7:28:33 pm
I will vote for pink all the other people .

FROM: agent 100000000000
DATE: Sunday October 24, 2004 -- 7:31:06 pm
you better shut up.

FROM: Clayre
DATE: Tuesday April 12, 2005 -- 11:17:38 pm
During the time of the voting (purple, aqua, or pink) I voted for purple. Think about it: purple completes the spectrum: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple. If we get RID of a color, I think it should be brown. If their slogan is 'chocolate is better in color' then why do they have a brown one? Chocolate is already brown!!

Although purple won, has anyone else realized that the purple M&M has disappeared?!

FROM: Gail
DATE: Tuesday September 27, 2005 -- 7:05:38 pm
9/27/05
Will all of this be true in 2005 Campaign also. Will there be a cap and are they really still doing this.

FROM: Jared
DATE: Tuesday September 27, 2005 -- 7:29:30 pm
I have one bag of christmas mint m&ms left from last season. Might just give em away if someone wants em. The new batch will be out soon.

FROM: bob
DATE: Thursday October 6, 2005 -- 9:34:34 pm
Are you serious, you have enough time to post messages about M&M colors on this stupid site?

FROM: Ken
DATE: Thursday October 6, 2005 -- 10:42:41 pm
Yes, we do. Some things are just that important.

FROM: S. Armstrong
DATE: Monday November 7, 2005 -- 8:32:54 am
Thanks for all that info! I was asked, in a trivia question, what the original six M&M colors were.
Ciao.

FROM: Christina
DATE: Monday December 5, 2005 -- 11:17:57 am
I'm doing a lab on the colors of M&Ms for school and i need some information on why the color of the M&Ms matter... do any of you have any comments?

DATE: Monday December 5, 2005 -- 11:30:08 am
No - do you need pictures?

FROM: Kenkat75
DATE: Tuesday February 7, 2006 -- 9:48:20 pm
I liked the light brown M&M's. I don't stop buying them now that they are gone, I just mourn the loss of the color. Now all I have is green.

FROM: MARGARET COLLINS
DATE: Monday June 26, 2006 -- 10:49:06 pm
IS THE SALE OF PINK & WHITE M & M's PROMOTION TO THE CANCER FOUNDATION STILL ON

FROM: hpfeh9k@microsoft.com
DATE: Saturday July 22, 2006 -- 9:47:01 pm
funny ringtones

audrey Madans September 19, 2006, 1:29 am

I also want to know if the sale of pink m & m’s is still a breast cancer promotional item

pinklover January 25, 2008, 11:43 pm

I LOVE IT!! I am a PINK Fanatic, and my entire office decor is Pink. I would love to have some Pink M&Ms to offer in my candy dish. I would also like to see a Pink M&M dispenser. It is more than just about the chocolate inside, colors represent differnt things to different people and that is what makes them special. If you don’t like Pink, buy a different bag.

rootstew April 3, 2008, 8:01 pm

I’m seeing alot of people pretty upset about there being no more light brown M&M’s, even after all these years. I thought I was alone in that and no one else cared. Then I read above that they don’t even acknowledge there ever being a light brown M&M in the history timelines, that makes me even more upset. I was at the M&M World store in Florida last year, there were probably 50 different colors and varieties of M&M’s, but no light brown (the best ones ever to exist). So, my proposal, everyone who is effected by this tragedy should contact the parent company in any way possible, by e-mail, phone, good old fashion letter, whetever and express their disappointment of that decision and kindly ask for a reconsideration.