Can't get enough of Paul and Ryan collaborations? Visit the It's 2011, Folks tumblelog!

February 27th, 2002

Girl Scout Cookies

I’m not quite sure how this topic has never been covered on the Ping, but it’s Girl Scout cookie season and the orders are coming in… what’s your favorite variety?

I’m definitely partial to the Tagalongs and Thin-Mints (the #3 and #1 sellers, apparently).

Posted in Food and Beverage

FROM: Chris [E-Mail]
DATE: Wednesday February 27, 2002 -- 10:39:32 am
Thin Mints are not just my favorite GS cookie, they are my favorite cookie alltogether.

FROM: fresh
DATE: Wednesday February 27, 2002 -- 2:31:19 pm
the peanut buter chocolate ones rule and the samoas are the greatsest

FROM: Robert [E-Mail]
DATE: Wednesday February 27, 2002 -- 3:20:41 pm
I prefer Cool J cookies.

DATE: Wednesday February 27, 2002 -- 3:39:54 pm
I am in the same boat as Robert with the Cool J theme, I myself am a fan of Pink Cookies In A Plastic Bag Getting Crushed By Buildings.

DATE: Wednesday February 27, 2002 -- 5:18:44 pm
I would agree with most in saying that the Thin Mints are my favorites. They went up to $3 a box this year, but it is $3 well spent! I can easily eat the whole box in about 10 minutes, with a quart of milk. Mmm, I can't wait until they arrive! I ordered a box of a new cookie, a Friendship cookie? The description sounded really delicious.

FROM: Elizabeth
DATE: Wednesday February 27, 2002 -- 8:02:32 pm
If there's a friendship cookie, is there an animosity cookie as well?

The tradition at my parents' house was to eat the whole box (of whatever kind) in one day.

I believe I checked last year and none of the kinds were vegan. But I would love to be proved wrong.

DATE: Wednesday February 27, 2002 -- 8:33:46 pm
Elizabeth -- Perhaps you can make a vegan thin mint by modifying the recipe linked in the Ping...?

FROM: Maria
DATE: Wednesday February 27, 2002 -- 11:06:08 pm
Some Girl Scouts sold us a box of Thin Mints just yesterday. Every time I see them, I want to ask "Are they made with real Girl Scouts?" like in the "Addams Family" movie.
Also, though Thin Mints are superior, Keebler makes a better-than-acceptable alternative called Grasshoppers.
Back when I was a Girl Scout, I had some neighbors who always bought 8 boxes of Thin Mints.

FROM: Jos
DATE: Friday March 1, 2002 -- 11:12:47 am
I bought $58 worth of girl scout cookies two years ago and put them in the freezer. The mint ones last forever in the freezer, and it fights the price increase. Of course, you have to have room to store the cookies for long periods of time, but on the other hand, I don't have to wait once a year, either. I've always got cookies.

FROM:
DATE: Thursday July 4, 2002 -- 10:22:30 am
there's some cookie with coconut and caramel and stuff--good!

FROM: Sirina Robinett
DATE: Saturday January 11, 2003 -- 7:33:20 pm
The The thin mints and the samoas are my favorite! And have been since i was a brownie. (and I'm 31 :) ) Nothing beats a thin mint straight from the freezer!

FROM: Ree
DATE: Wednesday January 29, 2003 -- 8:14:27 pm
You can't beat a good ole Thin Mint!!
*Tip* Put them in the freezer for a couple days and pull one out for a GREAT treat! :) Samaos are also DELICIOUS!

FROM: Dave Walls
DATE: Sunday February 2, 2003 -- 7:32:36 pm
Umm...I'm pretty sure there really isnt a time that Girl Scout cookie ARENT being sold..The Girl Scouts seem to be nothing more than a front for a cookie selling operation...a delicious, Thin-Minty..*crunch**crunch*..tasty cookie operation.

FROM: sirina
DATE: Tuesday May 6, 2003 -- 5:36:27 pm
Well, I know the "company" must make a fortune on the sales but, non the less my daughters troops had a great sale this year and since this is the only way they are aloud to raise funds, I am greatful to the MANY customers! They earned money for so many worth while activities! Go girl scouts!

FROM: Angela
DATE: Friday February 6, 2004 -- 11:56:13 am
We have a new flavor this year called "Pinata" - an oatmeal cookie with a strawberry center and cinnamon icing. Some say it reminds them of a pop tart or an Archway cookie. I just say Yum!!!

DATE: Friday February 6, 2004 -- 3:49:12 pm
I saw one of this year's brochures and it looked lik a few of the newer cookies from the past few years were no longer present.

FROM: LCongi
DATE: Tuesday May 4, 2004 -- 4:52:42 am
Might you know who actually makes the GS cookies? I'd like to send them comments about the cookies.

DATE: Tuesday May 4, 2004 -- 7:43:23 am
I've heard that various bakeries throughout the country compete heavily for girl scout contracts and licenses, which are very lucrative as anyone can imagine. The cookie blueprints shrouded in secrecy and are well protected. There's probably some seedy underbelly of intrique to the business. You know, bribes, payola, bodies in trunks, sunglasses wearing guys in suits handcuffed to aluminum attaches, that sort of thing.

Cool.

FROM: Becks [E-Mail]
DATE: Saturday September 10, 2005 -- 9:52:15 pm
I remember when a girlscout came to my door and she asked would you like to buy some girlscout cookies, well, I asked if they were made with real girl scouts , and then bought 5 thin mints, but they never came back, now they fear my house. I'll see them walk by, point , and whisper. NOOOO!

Leona February 20, 2007, 12:35 am

To the poster re: vegan friendly cookies. We got three kinds this year that are vegan! The “natural flavors” and mono and diglycerides are iffy… but I’m comfortable with eating them. I wish thin mints and samoyas were vegan, too. 🙁

We got the Lemonades, Thanks-a-lot, and reduced-fat oatmeal ones. Can’t recall the name… but all are pretty yummy. Still have hydrogenated oils and sat fat but I read they dropped the trans fat at least.

Leona