Fred "Rerun" Barry once commented here.

February 13th, 2003

Cram

Graham Elwood hosts Cram on the Game Show Network, a new game show that actually has an interesting premise while avoiding being another Millionaire rip-off.

On Cram, contestants are forced to stay up for 24 straight, studying loads of reading material ranging from instruction manuals to textbooks to books of jokes. They are then brought on the air and quizzed on their knowledge, often while performing physical tasks that are easy for the normal person, but not if you’ve been up for a day straight (like riding an exercise bike). There are three rounds and the top prize is $10,000. A good synopsis of the show is here.

The one time I watched the show, I came in about halfway through and couldn’t figure out why the heck the contestants looked so dopey and why they were running all over the set doing goofy stunts while answering questions. And when they got into bed and “Miss Pickwick” reads them a bedtime story, I was really lost. But as soon as I found out they had been up for 24 hours, it all made sense. And it was brilliant.

Of course, I’m wondering if anyone has asked how you can “cram all that Graham”…

Posted in Television, Movies, and Music

FROM: Dave Walls
DATE: Thursday February 13, 2003 -- 11:23:33 am
It's an absolutely brilliant concept, and Graham Elwood, who I despised on "Strip Poker", is a perfect fit. I laugh out loud, at the sheer quirkiness of it all. (My favourite was recently, when two contestants were trying to tell what cuts of meat come from what part of the cow, while matching the names of old school rappers to their debut albums..IT was the first time 10 years Big Daddy Kane was mentioned on TV, I'll bet..*grins*)

Still, the best moments come out of the contestants who are so tired, they sometimes don't even realize what they are saying. Graham asked a recent pair how they knew each other. A decently attractive blond, and a portly guy...the woman immediately chimed in, "Oh, he has cable, so I pretend to like him.." Unbelieveable. :)

Give the creators credit: It must have been one HELL of a pitch..think about it: "Ok, we lock people up, make them study technical manuals and African Blowguns, riddles and stupid lists...it'll be great!!"

FROM: \"Game Show Man\" Joe Van Ginkel [E-Mail]
DATE: Thursday February 13, 2003 -- 1:45:00 pm
Among the creators is Jonathan Goodson, son of game show legend Mark Goodson, and former producer of the first two versions of "Card Sharks."

Actually, when I first watched this show it was a little annoying, however, this wore off quickly, and I have found myself liking "Cram" a great deal (it's lightyears better than "Friend or Foe," and I like Kennedy). Unfortunately, many of my fellow fans do not feel the same way.

Now, let's just hope they publish that "Big Dumb Book of Stupid Lists."

FROM: Greg C
DATE: Thursday February 13, 2003 -- 3:42:05 pm
I've watched a ton of episodes but have yet to actually SEE the studio audience. I don't think there even is one, just an audience track.

The most annoying part is right after the contestants are in bed and have to balance on something... Graham tries to read the question but can't so it comes out as, "Name... name something... n... na... name something that... na... n..."

FROM: Dave Walls
DATE: Friday February 14, 2003 -- 9:17:47 pm
BTW, you also have to love the commercial with Graham talking to the sheep..

Graham: "Hey Ewe, what's my name?"

Sheep: "Gra-a-a-a-a-ham"

Graham: "And what's my name?"

Sheep: "Cra-a-a-a-am"

Like I said, I hated him on the $5 budget show "Strip Poker", but I love him on Cram.

FROM: Dave Walls
DATE: Friday February 14, 2003 -- 9:18:38 pm
er...the second line is supposed to be

Graham: "And what's my GAME?"

I think I need some sleep, too...

FROM: Shirtster
DATE: Sunday February 16, 2003 -- 2:46:57 am
props to the people who come up with the different point getting objectives in the 2nd round. I agree with Dave that the meat one was outstanding.

Graham's a good host but needs to ad lib a bit more... his "i'd love to hang around and chat but you have to get back on the hamster wheel" and his "outstanding!!!" response whenever people win the 10 grand need to be changed to something else once in a while.

anyone know if it's against the rules for the couple to piggy back during the final round so only one person has to balance?

and what's the story with Icey? she needs much, much, much more screen time, imho.

FROM: Sensai
DATE: Thursday February 20, 2003 -- 4:21:07 pm
Hey, strip poker! I remember that show! That was awesome. How could you not like it. Hey guess what. I'm a fag. Ok bye.

FROM: icey\'s fan
DATE: Sunday April 13, 2003 -- 10:39:21 pm
anyone know where to find pics of the assistant bergland icey? she's a knockout.

FROM: another icey fan
DATE: Tuesday April 29, 2003 -- 10:08:03 pm
I would also like to find out how to get pictures of icey, hopefully nudes???

FROM: Don, another Icey
DATE: Friday May 2, 2003 -- 10:23:46 pm

FROM: Don, another Icey Fan
DATE: Friday May 2, 2003 -- 10:26:55 pm
I would like to hear from Icey on how to start a fan club for her. We need Icey posters! Icey and Graham should share equal time on the show. If you are out there Icey let me hear from you I'll check this site. Your biggest fan, Don.

FROM: Bergland Icey
DATE: Saturday May 3, 2003 -- 1:47:55 am
Drop dead, losers.

FROM: Don, another Icey fan
DATE: Saturday May 3, 2003 -- 10:47:50 pm
To the Bergland Icey imposter, If you were you were real an e-mail woud not have come back undeliverable. So who is the loser, loser? What are you some ugly, skinny chick that wishes she was Icey?? Get a life!
Don

DATE: Saturday May 3, 2003 -- 11:55:27 pm

No comment required.

FROM: Icey Fan
DATE: Sunday May 4, 2003 -- 2:33:58 am
Hey Ryan, Bite me!
No comment required.

DATE: Sunday May 4, 2003 -- 10:36:06 am
And so it goes to another dumb ass mode...