Fred "Rerun" Barry once commented here.

March 3rd, 2003

DVD/CD

This weekend I picked up an interesting little disc from a favorite used CD store: the One Big Trip DVD+CD. This isn’t what you might imagine, though… it’s a single disc, the first side acting as a standard DVD that contains the movie while the flipside is a compilation CD that plays in a standard CD player. This is the first hybrid disc of the sort that I’ve seen, and I think it’s a pretty good idea… having a movie on one side and the soundtrack on the other could be pretty cool for most movies.

The only technological problem is that supposedly some in-dash CD-players can’t play the CD side. I’m not sure why, but perhaps it has something to do with the disc being a little heavier than the average CD.

The one question that is raised by this hybrid format: where do you store it, with your DVDs or with your CDs? This particular disc I stored with my CDs simply because it came in a CD-style case. That could change, though, depending on the movie…

Posted in Television, Movies, and Music

DATE: Monday March 3, 2003 -- 11:32:21 am
I would say store it where people store their enhanced cd's that they never use.

FROM: dave
DATE: Monday March 3, 2003 -- 1:58:43 pm
i would store it with my last will and testament since if this is the biggest question in my life then i would kill myself.

FROM: Robert [E-Mail]
DATE: Monday March 3, 2003 -- 7:02:56 pm
The DVD for Blair Witch 2 may have been the first such hybird. No one noticed because that movie was a godawful pile of brainrot.

FROM: nolita
DATE: Wednesday March 12, 2003 -- 9:52:48 am
I was just thinking it would be a brilliant way to sell dvd's to folks like myself who haven't gotten around to buying a dvd player yet (too busy buying stuff for the computer)

DATE: Wednesday March 12, 2003 -- 8:41:48 pm
I'd store it by the laserdiscs and Betamax tapes in the corner. While it may be a great idea, I suspect it would be not only harder to use (stupid people constantly putting in the wrong side of the DVD in, and only getting music), but I would suspect it would be less profitable. 20-25 bucks for the DVD, and 15 for the sound track, or just buying one disc?In the end, you either buy two discs, or the price of DVD's will eventually go up 5 bucks.

FROM: James will
DATE: Thursday March 25, 2004 -- 4:58:07 pm
Does anyone know where do get these hybrid disc replicated?

FROM: Dave
DATE: Thursday April 1, 2004 -- 1:10:16 am
ive created a 700mb dvd and burned it to a normal 700mb cd, coz i ran out of blank dvds, thinking it was a great idea

ive tryed to play it and it wont work in the house dvd player and wont work either in CyberLink PowerDVD on disk mode, but if i play it using file mode it works

i was just wondering if anybody knows of any solutions to this problem or am i missing something in the burning process

DATE: Thursday April 1, 2004 -- 12:30:14 pm
Uhm... isn't that like burning a CD onto floppies? I don't think that would work, would it?

"The Daily Ping: Your Resource for Technical Advice"