Can't get enough of Paul and Ryan collaborations? Visit the It's 2011, Folks tumblelog!

September 10th, 2003

Moving Companies

Tomorrow, we’re moving about 1000 miles west. And let me tell you that there is no perfect way to move a ton of stuff.

My short advice is, sell everything. If you have kids, sell them too. Just keep enough to put in your trunk, or in your SUV, and go.

It’s times like these, though, that I wonder if a little more government regulation might be a good thing. While I feel fortunate that we found a good company (whose full rating will be reserved until the move is complete,) the whole thing is overwhelming and scary. There are brokers, agents, and companies. Brokers just resell space that agents and/or companies have. Agents are like companies but are generally under a banner (ie, Allied, United, Bekins.) And companies are individually owned.

It’s easy to find negative opinions of movers online. Check out Epinions’ moving category and you can find negativity-a-plenty. Coupled with the BBB, though, one can get a slightly better idea of what’s going on.

Once the move’s complete, I’ll be sure to share our experiences. And, I’ll be counting how many Oreos show up broken.

Posted in Everyday Life

DATE: Wednesday September 10, 2003 -- 9:06:37 am
So let me get this right: The Chicago White Sox are kicking some serious butt in the AL, and looking good to make the postseason, and NOW you move away? What timing. ;-)

FROM: Rob [E-Mail]
DATE: Wednesday September 10, 2003 -- 9:08:09 am
Was it something I said?

FROM: Chris [E-Mail]
DATE: Wednesday September 10, 2003 -- 10:39:08 am
I wonder what the odds are on the Cubs winning the pennant? Paul's move might be the signal that this is the year for the Cubbies.

DATE: Wednesday September 10, 2003 -- 11:19:07 am
The timing on this is really bad for the baseball fan in me. The Sox are playing great baseball, and the Cubs are in first place. I'm guessing that hell will be freezing over shortly.

FROM: Greg
DATE: Wednesday September 10, 2003 -- 3:15:48 pm
If the Cubs win the World Series, hell will freeze over. If that happens, Paul wants to be as far away from hell as possible.

FROM: Ace High
DATE: Tuesday September 16, 2003 -- 5:42:11 pm
I've never lived any further than 25 miles from where I was born, so I can't comment.

DATE: Thursday September 18, 2003 -- 9:51:30 am
Of course, now both the Cubs and Sox aren't in first place. Figures.

Anyway, the move was smooth outside of a couple of communication issues. We weren't informed that the movers wouldn't be there on the day we were initially told, and we also weren't fully contacted when they arrived a day early!

But the two fellows who moved us were very good, very professional, and we had great confidence in them. Nothing was broken or damaged outside of one casserole dish, which I packed like a schmuck.

No Oreos were harmed during the move.

gordman September 20, 2007, 12:16 pm

Well I think hopping for some some government regulations for that is a little bit too much. Moving from one place to another is our concern, we can’t complain about the options here.