The Ping is self-aware.

October 20th, 2003

SkyBox

I’ve got to say that, at first, I was really put off by the idea behind the SkyBox, a home vending machine – especially one that sold for $500. I figured that I could just as easily stock up my refrigerator and – surprise, surprise – reach in and get a cold beverage.

But then I realized something. Let’s say I’ve got a finished basement, rec room, or garage. I don’t want to put a whole refrigerator in there, and yet I don’t want to spend $100 or so on a mini-fridge. Voila! The SkyBox is a perfect fit. I do find it interesting that I can pay forty bucks to see my NFL team’s logo on the side of the SkyBox I own. I just wish I could put any logo on my SkyBox… if only I had a printing device in the home….

What do you think? Yea or nay on a $500 mini-vending machine?

Posted in Everyday Life

FROM: towinlovinit
DATE: Monday October 20, 2003 -- 10:53:45 am
That would be great if you always had teenagers that came over just to munch. That would put a stop to that, other wise it seems kind of silly.

FROM: Scott Rinaldi
DATE: Monday October 20, 2003 -- 11:40:19 am
Hello- I know this isn't Exactly football, but it is about sports- So if someone could help me out here, that would be great. I need to know the name of the guy that made that huge story because he was a fan at a baseball game, and he caught a foul ball that could have been caught by the player to be an out- Does anyone know anything about that at all?? If so, please do tell. Thanks

DATE: Monday October 20, 2003 -- 12:01:31 pm
I know this isn't Exactly football, but it is about sports

Huh? This is a ping about a vending machine. The only sports item anywhere here is about paying $40 bucks to get an NFL logo on a vending machine.

The guy's name has been ALL over. Do a search at ESPN, and you can easily find it. Yeah, I'm being rude, but c'mon, it's not THAT hard to stay on topic.

On topic, don't forget the additional Storage Stand. The thing looks pretty sweet, and would make a great addition to a bachelor pad/TV Room of some sort.Admittedly, 500 is a bit steep for a glorified mini-fridge, but it still looks cool.

Also, I found it unusual, when it came to the stickers to add on, that they had all the NFL teams, but the only college stickers available were Iowa and Iowa State. *shrugs*

FROM: Chris
DATE: Monday October 20, 2003 -- 12:11:31 pm
After reading the promotional crap at Amazon - it appears as though this thing does NOT accept money. So, its a $500 refrigerator that holds less than 3 cases of soda / beer.

I don't get it. I don't think the can rolling down the chute and clunking at the bottom mkaes the beverage taste better.

DATE: Monday October 20, 2003 -- 1:39:36 pm
Does anyone know anything about that at all??

I don't speak for myself when I say, "No." Guess whom I'm talking about!

FROM: Greg
DATE: Monday October 20, 2003 -- 3:06:46 pm
Holy heavy! That thing weighs over 100 pounds! You need to buy the stand for it, otherwise, where would you put it? Besides the graphics, it looks pretty cheap. I can pick up a pretty decent full-sized fridge for $500 which will hold a lot more Dr. Pepper.

DATE: Monday October 20, 2003 -- 8:40:48 pm
Why not take your lazy ass upstairs to the fridge and pantry? or better yet, why don't you just have a snack hamper/basket in the basement?

FROM: george
DATE: Monday October 20, 2003 -- 9:29:58 pm

always glad to help out... the guy's name is Heywood Jablome.

FROM: jethrow
DATE: Monday October 20, 2003 -- 9:31:43 pm
you don't want to spend $100 on a mini-fridge but you'll spend $500 on a SkyBox? mmmkay.

DATE: Tuesday October 21, 2003 -- 9:22:36 am

Thanks for catching that - I was hoping someone would notice that I made a funny.

DATE: Tuesday October 21, 2003 -- 9:27:47 am
After Jethrow's comment the other day about "foreigners," I'm betting he's not the sharpest butter knife in the drawer.

FROM: Chase
DATE: Saturday October 30, 2004 -- 7:25:48 pm
The selling point of this skybox is the logos that you get on the machine. It just looks better than a fridge sittin in your living room or man cave. I think all guys have spent over 500 bucks on tickets for games or other fan memorabilia. I don't know if its right for everybody but for those people who have a lot of pride in whatever sport they like that seems like a pretty decent price. Kegerators that hold the same volume of alchohol (62 cans of beer in the skybox vs a "pony" kegerator holding the same approximate volume of beer in ounces) Cost the same and are much more of an eye sore in my man cave.

After writing this I think that I have just sold myself on this. I'm gonna order it right now.

DATE: Sunday October 31, 2004 -- 9:23:26 am

Uhm, no.

FROM: Bwebb
DATE: Saturday December 3, 2005 -- 7:36:04 pm
my brother in-law has one.its a pice of crap.the buttons dont work

FROM: RMCGEE
DATE: Sunday January 15, 2006 -- 8:25:48 pm
ON Bwebb's comment, I just a new one and the buttons don't work nor do the l.e.d's on the unit.......cools fine but so would a mini-fridge

Joe July 20, 2008, 11:53 pm

Were can I find this machine it seems to have disapeared?