Somehow, Ryan has written over 1 million Pings; Paul, just 60.

January 15th, 2004

The Aluminum Foil Guy

By now, I’m sure you’ve heard all about the aluminum foil guy… that is, the guy who played a prank on his friend by wrapped everything in his apartment—everything—in aluminum foil. Each CD was individually wrapped, a roll of toilet paper was unwound, wrapped, and rewound, and even the fridge was fair game. This gallery looks to have the best photos of the prank and the prankster’s home page has other assorted pranks worth checking out. This one made me snicker.

Posted in Just Plain Odd

DATE: Thursday January 15, 2004 -- 1:56:56 am
It's amazing to me that he didn't start a fire with the aluminum foil wrapped over the electric sockets.

That said, aluminum foil wallpaper actually looks pretty sweet. The guy wouldn't have done my place, with my CD collection..he'd be here till next year trying to wrap the thousands of cases...

FROM: Chris [E-Mail]
DATE: Thursday January 15, 2004 -- 8:47:57 am
Cases? You still keep the cases? That is very 1980's Dave! In this century we are expected to immediately discard the case and store the CD in a wallet or book of CD sleeves.

I did it purely for practical reasons a few years ago - I needed the space. The only CD case I've saved is a B52's CD, and that is because the insert is autographed.

DATE: Thursday January 15, 2004 -- 9:19:17 am
I can certainly understand the space issues. I've got one full wall of my bedroom filled with nothing but CD's, but for my organizational purposes for DJing, I just end up keeping the whole thing. If nothing else, I find that nothing protects the CD from scratches/fingerprints than the original jewel cases.

Back on track, I took another look at the aluminum foil apartment pics, and I realized where I had seen decorations like that in the past. 8th grade dances. If he keeps the foil up, get a couple of siren lights, maybe those beads that hang from the doorway, and he is set to go for a wild night.

FROM: Alex
DATE: Thursday January 15, 2004 -- 9:29:44 am
Now, that's what I call one creative prank. At least he didn't use sticky shelf paper! And Hey! I too still have all my original CD cases (I'm guessing they'll be colectors items in twenty to thirty years!)

FROM: Chris [E-Mail]
DATE: Thursday January 15, 2004 -- 10:10:44 am
When I first started using sleeves, I kept all the liner notes / lyrics inserts in a box. Then when we moved 2 years later and the box had never been touched I dumped it and quit saving anything.

Then again, even back in the album days I never really cared about the liner notes or any of that. I was too busy playing my records backwards in search of satanic messages :)

These days - my CD player holds 200 dics, and as I buy new CD's I rip them to MP3, and then the new CD goes into the CD player while I agonize over what CD gets yanked into the archives, likely not to be heard from again!

DATE: Thursday January 15, 2004 -- 10:47:54 am
I have never discarded a cd jewel case. You are filling up landfills with crap like that.

DATE: Thursday January 15, 2004 -- 10:58:29 am
...but at least the landfills are protected from scratches and fingerprints.

DATE: Thursday January 15, 2004 -- 12:42:12 pm
I hate jewel cases, only because of the space they take up (and a couple hundred of them can be heavy.) But I also haven't wrapped them in foil.

I feel sorry for that guy - he can't microwave anything that's wrapped in foil.

FROM: Rob [E-Mail]
DATE: Thursday January 15, 2004 -- 12:59:14 pm
I like the slim cases that a lot of singles (especially Japanese ones) come in, but then you don't get much of a booklet with it. Still... very thin and lightweight.

FROM: Alex
DATE: Thursday January 15, 2004 -- 1:07:06 pm
Technically he can microwave stuff wrapped in foil which would create a virtual laser light show in a box. July 4th early!

FROM: Ace High
DATE: Thursday January 15, 2004 -- 1:21:54 pm
These idiots need to get a like. By the may, don't they realize someone could get electrocuted?

FROM: Tina
DATE: Thursday January 15, 2004 -- 1:58:14 pm
I bet the tin foil brands like Reynolds Wrap (or their ad agency) are begging to use this apt as the backdrop for a commercial or two...that's the first thing I thought of when I saw these pictures.

FROM: Chris
DATE: Thursday January 15, 2004 -- 2:27:19 pm
Matt

Versus filling up your closet? By disposing of the jewel cases I get them back into the waste stream so they can start decomposing and become one with the earth. Or, maybe they get recycled into park benches too. All trash has be disposed of sooner or later. I don't think the guys from Battlestar Galactica will be visiting anytime soon to give us the magic formula for waste disposal.

FROM: bMXICANA
DATE: Tuesday April 25, 2006 -- 3:27:17 pm
weLL I HAVE a science fair project and i need to know why reynolds aluminum foil mixes with toilet cleaner it makes it explodes the fair is amy 16 and everything is due on may 11 so please help and ocntact me thanks!!!!!!

FROM: crimetyfrog3@aol.com
DATE: Tuesday April 25, 2006 -- 3:29:02 pm
email me BAOUT THE SCIENCE FAIR PLEASE!

DATE: Tuesday April 25, 2006 -- 4:28:57 pm
Way to wait for two whole minutes for a response you surely won't get even in two years!