Fred "Rerun" Barry once commented here.

June 16th, 2004

Flush It

A while back, Ryan changed the purpose of the Ping by writing his infamous How to Unclog a Toilet. The beauty of it is that the comments have taken a turn for the curious, with one of the latest involving a person flushing moldy meatballs down the toilet.

That made me think of my childhood. We didn’t have moldy meatballs, but we did have a toilet – and I was taught that (nearly) anything that was bad, and water soluable, was to be flushed. For instance: pills. If you find expired medicine, flush it. I also remember flushing uneaten cereal and milk, which seems really odd to me now.

So a while ago, when my wife and I started living together, she was surprised that I was randomly flushing expired pills down the toilet. I explained though that this was how I was taught to dispose of them. Her reasonable response was, “But that goes into the water supply!”

Is there anyone out there that was told to flush almost anything? Or is it strictly a Bohemian thing?

Posted in Toilets

FROM: Zach [E-Mail]
DATE: Wednesday June 16, 2004 -- 12:33:31 pm
Here's a story on how not to unclog a toilet:

www.zacheverson.com/True_Stories/Potty_Talk/bailing_out_son-in-law.htm

FROM: David
DATE: Wednesday June 16, 2004 -- 12:36:27 pm
So, urine and fecal matter are acceptable additions to the water supply, but expired pills aren't?

DATE: Wednesday June 16, 2004 -- 3:05:31 pm
Sure, since they're filtered out properly down at your local water reclamation plant.

DATE: Wednesday June 16, 2004 -- 4:17:57 pm
Sometimes I get rid of big pots of left over soup in the ol' terlet. It's a pain to try to dispose of food with a high liquid content in the trash. The downside is that it often causes a lot of splashing.

Also, flushing dead pet fish seems to be an American Standard, heh, heh.

FROM: Monica
DATE: Wednesday June 16, 2004 -- 10:09:22 pm
I grew up in a family that, as far as I know, used toilets only for elimination (barfing included). My boyfriend's family puts used tissues in the toilet, to be flushed with the next "regular" use. He says it's to save on having to take out the bathroom trash, which I guess makes sense. It was weird to see at first, though.

It's actually a city of Madison, WI ordinance that cat owners have to flush cat feces down the toilet. (Burial is an option, it seems, but probably NOT downtown.)

Did anyone see the episode of "Insomniac" where he goes to a waste treatment plant? I think he was in Baltimore (??)

DATE: Friday June 18, 2004 -- 9:24:57 am
Cat poop in the hopper kills otters.

FROM: Jessica
DATE: Sunday January 16, 2005 -- 4:01:13 pm
Yeah well with no garbage disposal and liquidy trash. Left over tend to go down the crapper... But I did it today... Clogged it up good!

FROM: Dan
DATE: Wednesday April 5, 2006 -- 2:51:40 pm
Feces can be treated to a certain degree, mostly because it is organic material. Medicine, and other hazardous materials can not be filtered with todays present methods. We have fallen on the false hope that chlorine and bleaching materials will destroy anything. Their are literally thousands of mimicking hormones in our water supply we drink everyday. Imagine how many women who are on the birth control pill, all of that material is ending up at the water treatment facility and none of it is treatable because quite simply bleach and chlorine does not destroy it. In fact, studies have shown that there is so much estrogen mimicking hormones in the water supply that human baby boys are being born with their reproductive organs inverted! Stop flushing this stuf down the drain! The only thing that has been proven that will neutralize these hormones and other foreign substances is wetlands, yep thats right, simple natural wetlands.