Fred "Rerun" Barry once commented here.

December 4th, 2005

The Possessive Store

One thing that I find common to people in Chicago is something I find really charming: we make every store name a possessive noun. For instance, you’re not going to “Jewel”. You’re going to “Jewel’s”.

I really haven’t experienced this much elsewhere (outside of the upper midwest, anyway) and it’s definitely something that garnered a few quizzical stares when we lived in Denver. “You’re going to Safeway’s?”

Posted in Miscellaneous

FROM: Cat [E-Mail]
DATE: Sunday December 4, 2005 -- 3:44:30 pm
I've never heard it used with something like "Safeway", but if the store name is an actual human name, then we do the same thing. For example, we go to Fred Meyer's.

I suspect this is because most establishments named for a person do this already: Dotty's, Grandma's, etc.

But yeah, "Safeway's" is weird, dude.

DATE: Sunday December 4, 2005 -- 5:13:55 pm
Yes, but when you go to buy food, are you going to market, the store, the grocery store, or somewhere else? That's another regional thing I have noticed.

There were way too many people at the grocery store yesterday, panicked about the 1" of snow we got overnight which melted by 9am.

DATE: Sunday December 4, 2005 -- 6:20:38 pm
'Round here, the place where one gets food is the "store". I used "supermarket" last week and freaked out a co-worker. "Supermarket?"

FROM: Monica
DATE: Sunday December 4, 2005 -- 9:38:06 pm
Paul, thank you for illuminating something I just thought was an annoying habit of one person. I know someone who always says stuff like "Barnes and Nobles."
Despite our differences in regions-of-origin, we both use "grocery store."

FROM: Sammy Reed
DATE: Tuesday December 6, 2005 -- 2:47:17 am
When I was a kid, my family used to go "trading" at "Kroger's" every week. Nowadays, we still have "Kroger's", I just haven't been to one in a while.

FROM: Leslie
DATE: Tuesday December 13, 2005 -- 5:54:27 pm
In Midland, we say we're going to Heb, not H.E.B.