The 10,000th Ping will be published on May 24, 2027. Paul will be just about 50 years old.

December 28th, 2005

Praise for method

It isn’t terribly often that I say I enjoy cleaning. I like the end result,sure – a clean home is way, way better than a dirty one – but cleaning is a chore.It’ssomething that I’d rather just have done for me. But that’s notlikely.

A few weeks ago Ryan and I were discussing cleaning products (which is what wedobest!) and he casually asked if I had used anything from method.I got to launch into my “Yes, and they’re just great!” schpiel… and soonthereafterI realized that, yes, I would actually look forward to cleaning withtheirproducts. Really.

The reasons? First of all, they smell good. Pink grapefruit is just nice. Butso iscucumber, eucalyptus mint, and even French lavender. Second, theirbottlesare well-designed. As a design geek I can’t help but like those. Third,everythingis naturally-derived (which is, uh, a little ambiguous but there aredefinitely notharsh chemicals – that’s nice) and not tested on animals. And finally, and mostimportantly, the copy on their bottles and site is just fantastic.

As an added bonus I’ve written the company on more than one occasion and havealways,always had a response within a day or two – one written by a human. Theyreally docare.

So, yes, some of their products cost a little more (like dishwasher cubes).But inthe end I think that if something can make me want to clean, it’sworth theextra buck or two.

Posted in Consumer Commentary

DATE: Wednesday December 28, 2005 -- 9:28:09 am
As we talked about during our chat, Paul, this is the first time I've tried method and I'm very impressed.

With regards to the slight extra cost, spending an extra dollar on a bottle of general purpose cleaner isn't the same as spending an extra dollar on a bottle of spaghetti sauce. The sauce is gone in two dinners, but you'll only replace the cleaner a couple of times a year. $5 a year more isn't going to break most people, and the long-term benefits are worth well more than that.

DATE: Wednesday December 28, 2005 -- 9:30:32 am
Plus, Pinger Aaron works right downstairs from method!

FROM: Greg
DATE: Wednesday December 28, 2005 -- 10:09:51 am
Very, very neat products. It's nice there's an alternative that can be found in popular stores. I will be going out to buy some next time I'm shopping for cleaning products. Will do a follow up after using something.

The Ping should get some royalties for promoting the product.

DATE: Wednesday December 28, 2005 -- 10:40:50 am
Rats--this looks like a really neat company but I need something to clean my wood floors.

DATE: Wednesday December 28, 2005 -- 1:17:22 pm
I always thought method was just Target's house brand. It's unusual for me to be so ignorant about something I use on a daily basis. Plus, I never noticed that it was more expensive--double clueless!

We use method for everything.

FROM: courtney
DATE: Wednesday December 28, 2005 -- 3:05:02 pm
We have a 9 month old son. So, I love the safety of Method's cleaning products. Since we cloth diaper, I especially love the HE perfume free/dye free laundry detergent for my front load washer. I have also had a quick response from an actual human in the past when I've sent them my praise. Great products. Great company.

DATE: Wednesday December 28, 2005 -- 3:34:00 pm
Cool, and you can really get this at Target? I will have to check it out. I am all about perfume-free products. Thanks for the tip! Happy New Year, Ping of helpful hints!!

DATE: Wednesday December 28, 2005 -- 5:02:35 pm
jk:

Yep. I get all mine at Target (Tar-zhay).

DATE: Tuesday March 14, 2006 -- 11:40:28 am
How about I respond to jk's comment from a long time ago?

They got that covered.

To add to my original Ping, we've been using Electrasol tabs in our dishwasher regularly. We've tried Seventh Generation's natural dishwasher liquid and a few others, and found they did pretty bad jobs with cleaning dishes. This past weekend we decided to try out method's dish cubes.

The good news is that they worked beautifully! Everything was clean (from a dishwasher - go figure) except a couple of plates from our Cuisinart Griddler. To be fair, though, Electrasol has a tough time with these too. So I declare method's dish cubes to be winners. Expensive, but winners.

In addition, the new line of aircare is tops. And I swear, I'm not a paid endorser.