Fred "Rerun" Barry once commented here.

December 28th, 2000

Handiest Program Ever: Weatherbug

In case you’re unaware, I live in Chicago. Chicago has been the Snow Capital of the state as of late, being covered in snow on every other day of the week for the past few weeks. Oh, and did I mention the cold? We’ve been in the single digits, and right now, 20 is considered a heat wave.

I stumbled across the handiest program I have yet to see: Weatherbug. It sits in your system tray and displays the current temperature at your nearest AWS reporting station. My nearest, for reference, is 5 miles away which gives a slightly more accurate bead on the temp than, say, O’Hare Airport. Should you double-click on the temperature, you’ll get a window full of neat info, like the current temp, high and low, wind chill, and forecast.

The program itself is pretty tightly integrated with the web, but that’s okay, as it lends to a consistent and familiar feel. You can even pull up a few local cams in the program if you’re so inclined. And, a very handy feature: if a severe weather alert of any kind is issued, the systray icon blinks. It’s accompanied by a sound so very annoying (by default) that you can’t help but click on it to shut it up. Which, of course, brings up the weather alert in the Weatherbug window.

It’s free, and it’s very much worth it if you’re a budding weather geek, like me. -pm

Posted in Technology, Weather

FROM: Tina
DATE: Thursday December 28, 2000 -- 8:33:36AM
Wow! You live in Chicago? I'm 2 hours north in Wisconsin. Can I get your autograph some time when I'm in town? ha! I can TOTALLY sympathize about the crappy weather. :) Thanks for the hint.

DATE: Thursday December 28, 2000 -- 9:15:17AM
I will be signing autographs at Elmhurst Dodge this weekend as part of their Ping-a-bration.

FROM: Rob
DATE: Thursday December 28, 2000 -- 9:46:40AM
Cool. Now I can know precisely how freakin' cold it is out. This is Virginia. It's not SUPPOSED to be 19 degrees out. :P

FROM: Robert
DATE: Thursday December 28, 2000 -- 12:06:55PM
Rob--Be careful with that tongue outside. It might get stuck to a lamppost.

DATE: Thursday December 28, 2000 -- 12:18:43PM
And Rob tends to lick lampposts, no matter the weather...

Paul -- I agree, Weatherbug is a nice little app. I have it at work, where it reminds me how cold it is out in the real world. :)

FROM: Rob
DATE: Thursday December 28, 2000 -- 1:11:49PM
Ryan -- Well, you know me... anything long, thick, and phallic...

I just installed Weatherbug because of this Ping, despite seeing it advertised on NBC 4 all the time. Now I'm happy.

My younger brother once got his tongue stuck to a metal fence when we were waiting for the school bus. He just barely got it detached before the bus came. Looked rather painful. He works at UPS now.

FROM: Cat
DATE: Thursday December 28, 2000 -- 5:12:04PM
Okay, yeah, that's pretty cool. I shall now proceed to spam all my friends.

FROM: Tony
DATE: Thursday December 28, 2000 -- 5:20:39PM
I have no use for this program, its always 80 or so and sunny out. Weather in Florida is so predictable, well except for hurricanes, and at that point, I doubt weatherbug could help. (no wait, it could flash RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!) Although a good app at that.

DATE: Sunday December 31, 2000 -- 12:04:58AM
I think Tina and Paul should go out on a date. As long as the Ping doesn't turn into some internet sex meeting place I'm all for it

FROM: Rob
DATE: Sunday December 31, 2000 -- 12:43:43AM
I think Ryan and Paul should go out on a date. Then they'd finally meet.