The 10,000th Ping will be published on May 24, 2027. Paul will be just about 50 years old.

April 29th, 2001

Spam-n-Scam

Here’s a strange letter I got a couple days ago:

Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 02:02:02 -0600
From: info3@msn.com
Reply-To: info4@msn.com
To: info4@msn.com
Subject: Please Resubmit

Dear $First_Name,
Sometime over the past 6 months you signed up for one of our free cruises or vacation package. We regret to inform you that the information we received was incomplete. We received the following information $First_Name $Last_Name , 540-654-4210 . Please click the link below and complete the information to receive you package.

Click Here

OR GO TO http://209.61.156.83/

If you would like to be removed please Click Here

Why is this strange? Well, aside from the obvious (just call me “$First_Name $Last_Name” from now on), the phone number they listed was my phone number during Junior and Senior year of college. I haven’t been at that number for 3 years. In addition, the e-mail address that it was sent to was a forwarding address I set up at college, but haven’t actively mentioned to anyone in about as long.

Of course I’m a tad disturbed by this, since most spam isn’t personalized to the point that it includes your phone number. So who exactly sold my information?

I ran the IP address through Sam Spade and was only clued in on the fact that the site is hosted on this managed hosting company’s servers in Texas. By this point, the site has shut down.

The obvious question is: what kind of person would fall for something like this? -ram

Posted in Miscellaneous

DATE: Sunday April 29, 2001 -- 3:37:33PM
Sign me up for this program,
MR. Misled

FROM: Robert
DATE: Sunday April 29, 2001 -- 7:41:17PM
Please, somebody call that number right now.

DATE: Monday April 30, 2001 -- 9:22:37AM
Robert -- If you do, it'll be whoever lives in Madison 302. :)

FROM: Robert
DATE: Monday April 30, 2001 -- 9:58:38AM
It's dangerously close to Brant's number, but I don't want to give too much away.

I'm sure it's some wanker in 302--certainly no one worthy of the Laze legacy.

DATE: Monday April 30, 2001 -- 10:20:40AM
The year I moved out, I felt good because a good friend (Chevy) moved in... but God knows who is living in the castle that was room 302 in Madison.

There's one Pinger here that lived in 301... you get an invisible prize if you can guess who it is. :)

FROM: Robert
DATE: Monday April 30, 2001 -- 10:33:01AM
Pat (aka I'm not Gavin Rossdale)?

DATE: Monday April 30, 2001 -- 12:04:29PM
Nope... :) Hint: his name begins with "d" and ends with "ave."

FROM: dave
DATE: Monday April 30, 2001 -- 12:13:55PM
A friend of mine tried to call me at my old dorm number a couple weeks ago. He says there are women living there now. Blasphemy!!!

FROM: Robert
DATE: Monday April 30, 2001 -- 12:28:03PM
Damn! I only wish I had some idea who this "Dave" is. Perhaps he looks vaguely like a faded alt-rocker?