The original Ping was painfully written in Perl.

August 25th, 2001

Connie Chung

Connie Chung has got to be one of the worst interviewers ever. She’s proof positive that being a newswoman doesn’t translate into being a good interviewer.

I was watching 20/20 and was astouded at how she interrupted the people she was interviewing and would feign surprise at an answer that she knew was coming. And no, I didn’t watch her interview with Gary Condit. How bad was it?

And then there’s her infamous interview with Newt Gingrich and his mother… Chung asked a question that Gingrich’s mother deemed inappropriate to answer on national television when Chung asked his mother to whisper the answer in her ear. Who cares what anyone thinks of Gingrich, what kind of third grade interviewing technique is that?

Conservatives, like the folks over at the National Review use Chung as an example of the so-called “liberal bias” in the media, but quite frankly, she’s just a crappy interviewer. I thought I would have rather seen Howard Stern give Condit the treatment. -ram

Posted in Television, Movies, and Music

FROM: John Ritter
DATE: Sunday August 26, 2001 -- 9:54:18PM
How about a Ping Poll - Who are the best and worst newsmen (and women) on TV. Maybe Barbara Walters would rate 5 chungs (5 times better than connie chung), Bryant Gumbel 1 Chung and Matt Lauer 3 Chungs. What do you think?

DATE: Monday August 27, 2001 -- 12:57:01AM
Mr. Ritter -- That sounds like a great idea. And I think I agree with your ratings.

Hugh Downs... 3 Chungs. Sam Donaldson... 4 Chungs. Lark McCarthy... 137 Chungs.

FROM: Rob
DATE: Monday August 27, 2001 -- 9:38:31AM
Ryan -- I always knew you had a crush on Lark... No Amy Robach for you.

DATE: Monday August 27, 2001 -- 11:15:00AM
Even more than Amy Robach -- the woman who did the traffic reports before her... what was her name? Wow. :)

FROM: Rob
DATE: Monday August 27, 2001 -- 1:08:03PM
Ryan -- Yeah, I was really sad to see her go. But then Amy came along and I felt a little better. But I still miss whatsername...

FROM: Chris
DATE: Tuesday August 28, 2001 -- 10:55:46PM
I haven't seen many Connie Chung interviews, but I did watch the interview with Condit. Not really a good interview to judge her on considering his determination not to say anything but that he has been married 34 years and has made some mistakes.

FROM: Karin Olsen
DATE: Wednesday August 29, 2001 -- 12:58:24AM
I agree Connie gave a terrible interview.Barbara Walters would have won him over & he would have opened up.Connie was a disaster.

FROM: Cindy
DATE: Sunday September 2, 2001 -- 12:24:49AM
I thought Connie Chung was assertive and cool. Chung did a fantastic job considering how uncooperative Condit was. Larry King interrupts and finishes his guests sentences, Matt Lauer is a Gumbel robot, Barbara Walters is a brown noser, and Howard Stern a Prankster. Chung was great.

FROM: Cindy
DATE: Sunday September 2, 2001 -- 12:26:01AM

DATE: Wednesday November 28, 2001 -- 11:18:26PM
If anyone still reads this - The traffic reporter before Amy Robach was Kerri Lee Halkett, If you want any more Fox info just ask me. abtsd@hotmail.com

DATE: Thursday November 29, 2001 -- 12:50:24AM
Good job, Matt! Any idea what she's up to now?

FROM: Dan
DATE: Sunday December 30, 2001 -- 8:11:34PM
She is the one that put that helicopter on the map! They hired Amy only because she looked like Kerri-Lee, but not as pretty or as good (I'm biased I was a big Kerri-Lee fan!) She is now a major anchor in Boston. huge fan base there too!

FROM: Dave
DATE: Monday December 31, 2001 -- 6:45:10PM
She was great! Much prettier than Amy, but a similar look. She coined the position and made it what it is today.
Kerri-lee halkett you'll always be number 1

FROM: Mark
DATE: Tuesday January 1, 2002 -- 7:05:06AM
This is the link to Kerri-Lee. She is the weekend anchor for this channel here in Boston. http://www.fox25.com/

FROM: Jeff
DATE: Friday January 4, 2002 -- 11:53:42AM
MMM, Kerri Lee...anyone know where I can find other pictures of her other than the above mentioned website?

FROM: JimGodfrey
DATE: Friday January 11, 2002 -- 8:10:04 pm
I did a Kerri-Lee search on google and found some old pictures of her reporting from the helicopter. I'd love to see some new ones though.

www.wcnews.com/news/showarchive.php?archive=august2001 - 101k - Cached - Similar pages

FROM: robert black
DATE: Saturday January 12, 2002 -- 11:12:23 am
What a pleasure to find this new Kerri-Lee info! And thanks Jim, I checked the pictures out, there are some fairly recent anchor pictures I found. Any idea anyone what her plans are? Will she come back to DC? I ask because she left us three years ago and that could mean her contract is almost up. Cross your fingers she'll return to us inside the beltway.

FROM: Pat Campbell
DATE: Sunday February 24, 2002 -- 12:33:52 am
>> Will she come back to DC? <<

You are entirely welcome to have her back!

FROM: JimGodfrey
DATE: Wednesday February 27, 2002 -- 7:06:16 pm
That would be terrific. Maybe we'll get lucky!

FROM: Allen
DATE: Thursday February 28, 2002 -- 8:35:38 am
Who pi$$ed on Pat Campbell's cornflakes?

FROM: Terry H
DATE: Friday March 1, 2002 -- 10:34:46 am
I don't know how Kerry Lee was as a helicopter reporter in DC, but she's been a bit of a disappointment in Boston. In fairness, the station she's on (channel 25) hasn't given her much visibility in the past half year. She was hired as the secondary anchor, but they've been using one of their other reporters (Maria Stephannos) for substitute anchoring instead. Also, it seems that Halkett doesn't get assigned the "A" stories - more the lighter stuff.

FROM: Dave Newman
DATE: Monday March 4, 2002 -- 4:31:51 am
I couldn't disagree more! Halkett has done an incredible job covering the Elections and Ground Zero for FOX 25. She had her sights set on other goals (not staying in Boston) and did great work until something more preferable came along. It happens Terry, reporters lay low when they've given their station notice that they are leaving. I know someone like Stepahnos who is from Massachusetts wouldn't have a shot at going anywhere else so a station promotes the talent they know they will have in the future. Be careful about spreading information that isn't giving the full perspective of a situation. You certainly haven't heard the last of this talent.

FROM: Peter
DATE: Monday March 4, 2002 -- 10:12:36 am
True enough, she was always the one the station sent on location. Another big one? the inauguration.

It's pretty standard Terry to be phased out of a newsroom when you're leaving. (Especially in the case of popular talent.) You can't say a talent is "disappointing" and they get "B" assignments by looking at what they do their final few months. That also explains not being a "secondary anchor." Why would you have an anchor fill in and get all the exposure if they are leaving? No, instead you would train whoever it is that is taking their place. In this case a reporter (from what you say) who probably needs the time to get comfortable.

I have worked in the business for 22 years. I would think if you know anything about the business you would at least know that. Makes sense don't you think?

Otherwise, you might want to think twice about making such criticisms. It makes you sound awfully ill informed. Kerri-Lee obviously was good in DC (as indicated by this board) and I KNOW she was good in Massachusetts.

Any questions, email me.

Hopefully in the meantime, you can work on being a little kinder.

Pete McDougall

FROM: D\'Aarcy
DATE: Monday March 4, 2002 -- 6:59:03 pm
Anyone think Chung will do another Condit interview now that it appears the Congressman is making another run at office? This should get interesting. And if not Chung, who should be the one to get Condit back in the hot seat?

FROM: Derrick Ling
DATE: Wednesday March 6, 2002 -- 12:31:55 pm
Well looks like the Condit sit down will be in another form-- an interview with an EX-Congressman. His former aid blew him out of the contest last night. I think Laurie Dhue should do the interview for FOX NEWS CHANNEL. And Paula Zahn for CNN.

FROM:
DATE: Thursday March 7, 2002 -- 2:44:25 pm
P. Campbell = Terry H= Jamie A= Tracey Kirkland

FROM: dafoe
DATE: Saturday March 16, 2002 -- 11:16:43 pm
anybody know where Kerri Lee Halkett is going? today was her last day at Fox25.

FROM: RICK FEINBAUM/KERRI-LEE.COM
DATE: Wednesday March 20, 2002 -- 1:20:20 pm
THE LOVELY TALENTED GORGEOUS KERRI-LEE HALKETT HAS LEFT BOSTON FOR PHILADELPHIA. IT WAS APPARENTLY ANNOUNCED IN NEWSPAPERS THERE TODAY (I'M TRYING TO FIND IT ONLINE I WAS TOLD IT IS THERE SOMWHERE) BUT I'M TOLD HER OFFICIAL LAST DAY ON AIR WAS THIS WEEKEND. WHAT A TRULY MAGNIFICANT WOMAN WHOM I WILL MISS WATCHING GREATLY. HER ELEGANCE STYLE AND COMPASSION FOR THE STORIES SHE COVERED WILL BE UNFORGETTABLE TO ME AND TO THE THOUSANDS I KNOW WHO LOVED HER DEARLY. BEST REGARDS AND WELL WISHES TO THE LOVELY KERRI-LEE MAY YOU CONTINUE YOUR SUCCESS IN PENNSYLVANIA.

FROM: Frank
DATE: Monday April 29, 2002 -- 9:29:07 am
Is there a Kerri-Lee.com website? I noticed in the previous poster they claim to represent such a site? I checked it out and the domain name has been taken. Can anyone say if a site is coming soon? I'd love to see some pictures from Philly.

FROM: linda Hamilton-korey
DATE: Saturday June 29, 2002 -- 11:20:11 am

FROM: C. R.
DATE: Wednesday July 24, 2002 -- 12:15:17 pm
Kerri-Lee is great. I hope she stays here in Philadelphia for a long time. She's now on Fox's Good Morning Philadelphia.

FROM: GB Vinetti
DATE: Tuesday August 20, 2002 -- 11:35:18 am
I agree. She is what gets me up in the morning. What a face!

FROM: Simon
DATE: Wednesday October 23, 2002 -- 10:46:15 am
Connie Chung is about as sincere as Martha Stewart. Entertainers that pose as journalists through the medium of television just don't count, perhaps the exception is Barbara Walters. Sam Donaldson looks too weird to listen to what he is saying and I think we can just lock Bryant Gumbal in a room full of mirrors and throw away the key we would all (Gumbal included) be more happy in how we spend our time.

FROM: Mary
DATE: Thursday October 24, 2002 -- 9:50:58 am
I agree with the writer of this article. Connie Chung is a fake and dishonest talkshow host whome I would personally never trust her as an interviewee or viewer. She is not a journalist, I mean she seems to spend her time more in beauty salons and her dressroom. We've seen many of these superficial men/women who have no talent and actuall skills other than being just some news anchors used by media.

FROM: Michael
DATE: Monday October 28, 2002 -- 4:46:43 pm
Let's be careful in how we assume persons that seem to spend a lot of time on their looks as having no talent or skills. Being a journalist may mean many different things. Everyone on television has to be "fake" to some degree and also pay attention to their looks BECAUSE THEY ARE ON TELEVISION. If we are trying to find jounalistic integrity it will never be found in the medium of television. I think for anyone of these journalists to deliver a story in a professional, convincing manner with some integrity to our homes consistantly every night while pleasing the show's producers is a feat in itself. Yes, these people are fake. So is television. How would any of us do things differently in the same position to please everyone?
Given the salaries of some of these guys...most of us would't do a damn thing.

FROM: DANNY LEVINE
DATE: Monday November 4, 2002 -- 12:41:49 pm
i SAW HER AT THE MOVIES THE OTHER DAY. SHE WORE TIGHT JEANS AND A HOT SHIRT. I THOUGHT SHE WAS HOT. I WANT TO DATE HER. HAS ANYONE OUT THERE GONE OUT WITH HER?

DATE: Monday November 4, 2002 -- 1:30:10 pm
I heard Kerri-Lee doesn't date men who type in all caps.

FROM: Marita
DATE: Tuesday December 10, 2002 -- 9:54:21 pm
I'm glad that I'm not the only one who sees Connie Chung as a horrible journalist who is after cheap sensationlism. It was simply ugly how she just tried to use Michael Jackson's own brother to dig some dirt and cover Michael. Not a word about his talent or art, just attempts to show him as an insane person and imply that we should worry about his children. Like there is no Africa full of children dying from hunger and people here have no other business but to be concerned with well being of three children who are most probably luckier than most kids on the planet.

FROM: dinh tran
DATE: Wednesday March 26, 2003 -- 9:27:09 pm
i think connie chung is hot even though shes almost 60 but her raisin nipples are still fresh

DATE: Thursday March 27, 2003 -- 9:15:59 am
^^^^ Post of the year.

FROM: Sean
DATE: Friday April 25, 2003 -- 6:16:00 pm
Kerri - lee WAS the Babe of all Babes here in Boston- she's now on air in Philadelphia ( Smart/Sexy/Profeshnal
to the boot/bone...! Hey ....Bianca Delagaza aint too bad either.....female reporters should be in front of a news desk,Not behind it.

FROM:
DATE: Wednesday May 7, 2003 -- 8:39:21 pm

FROM: Kevin [E-Mail]
DATE: Monday June 9, 2003 -- 9:14:37 pm
I love Kerri Lee Halkett.... I miss her here in Boston... Maybe worth moving to Philly.... I could start a fan site... anyone got pics?

FROM: Dr. Shoemaker
DATE: Wednesday June 25, 2003 -- 2:13:23 am
I agree with you totally re Connie Chung being the worst interviewr on national TV today. She does not respect people she interviews and does not give them time to speak and defend against her ignorant comments and outrageous questions. I'm glad you also think so.

FROM: Sean
DATE: Tuesday August 26, 2003 -- 12:37:56 pm
Kerri-Lee is/Was 1 of the few Hottest women in media around new England. the face/bod /camera savy
professional yet sexy--she is a Fox!
After her...( as if ) Bianca Delagaza
then Liz Brunner,Francis Riveria & Sarah Underwood ,Darlene McCarthy & few others....& finally Caterina Bandini......AHHHHHHHHHHHH, Kerri-Lee & Sarah Underwood...what a pair....! both look hot on camera & in business suits & leather......!
&both know how to hold a mic!

DATE: Tuesday August 26, 2003 -- 3:51:31 pm
OK, now things are getting creepy.

FROM: Chris
DATE: Wednesday September 3, 2003 -- 9:50:48 am
Geez Sean, we all really hope you are done; plus you're making your girlfriend Ryan feel uncomfortable.

Keep this site for reviews on Connie Chung as they relate to journalism.

FROM: Raindog
DATE: Friday February 20, 2004 -- 4:04:19 pm
Kerri-Lee is cetainly the hottest newscaster ever...even hotter than the Philadelphia's-ever-popular Cicily Tynan. She's cute, yeah, but she's got those swimmer's shoulders!

Kerri-Lee is just sweet and sophisticated with a great smile and a killer bod. Every now and again she'll wear a tight turtleneck or something...I love those mornings!

Shame of it all is they have her on with that other horrible looking Jenniphyr Fredricks. Ugh...she looks like she's been beaten with a wiffle-ball bat loaded with pennies!

I just hang a towel over the right half of the TV she can't detract from Keri-Lee's magnificence!

FROM: Raindog
DATE: Friday February 20, 2004 -- 4:04:39 pm

FROM: wouldntyouliketoknow
DATE: Wednesday March 31, 2004 -- 3:39:19 pm
I agree with the above post. Ms. Halkett is my professor at Temple University and all of us sit there and drool. She wore leather pants the other day and I couldn't focus on a thing she said.

-- signed, a happy BTMM student

FROM: eansin
DATE: Friday September 24, 2004 -- 5:30:44 am
I remember when Kerri-Lee Halkett was at Fox25 in Boston. She was attractive to be sure, but I thought her delivery was too stylized, almost a cartoon caricature of an anchor, much like what Chevy Chase did so well on SNL's Weekend Update.

The worst anchor in Boston, male or female, has to be Caterina Bandini. Absolutely dumb as a post, and can't ad lib a line to save her life.

FROM: ChillYODA
DATE: Friday November 19, 2004 -- 11:45:41 pm
Wow, the above comments from RainDog say it all - "Kerri-Lee's magnificence," as well as the whole Jeniphyr Fredricks wiffle-ball bat/towel thing - hysterical! And all so true. Kerri-Lee is stunning. And not only is Fredricks hideous to the eyes, she's also a complete idiot goof. Any info on Kerri-Lee websites would be much appreciated. (and screw Connie CHung - old news. Kerri-Lee will be national in 5 years!)

FROM:
DATE: Sunday April 17, 2005 -- 9:52:29 pm
connie chung ilegal alien enters .s.f find herself lust lebenese man who listens to her after attaching penis mar poverach unit of promise to bring her teacher and store hostage to move up to natinal.

DATE: Monday April 18, 2005 -- 7:53:52 am
Probably the best, most insightful comment ever posted.

FROM: GottaLoveKerri
DATE: Tuesday October 18, 2005 -- 9:12:25 am
Kerri Lee link - Good Day Phila

FROM: Phil Miglian
DATE: Wednesday March 22, 2006 -- 7:49:03 am
New KL link
Let's make her FHM's winner!