Can't get enough of Paul and Ryan collaborations? Visit the It's 2011, Folks tumblelog!

December 10th, 2001

The Tylenol Dupe

Last week my girlfriend came home and said, surprisingly, “I’ve been duped.” Naturally I wanted to know what she was talking about, so she began to tell a tale….

A while back, she had purchased a box of Tylenol Sore Throat for her sore throat pain. It’s a honey-flavored liquid that claims to work for sore throat pain, along with headache pain, cold pain, and muscular pain. So she went to take some of it for her rather icky sore throat. But before she swallowed a dose, she took a look at regular ol’ Tylenol.

Take a look at the Tylenol ingredients and the Tylenol Sore Throat ingredients. Notice anything familiar? That’s right – these products are essentially identical, featuring the same active ingredient. The Sore Throat version just has a higher dosage, but compared to 2 Tylenol tablets, it’s the same.

So, taking Tylenol Sore Throat is the same as taking 2 Tylenol. There’s nothing in the Sore Throat version that is specifically for sore throats, other than the fact that it’s a liquid – easier to swallow when a throat is sore. -pm

Posted in Consumer Commentary

DATE: Monday December 10, 2001 -- 9:25:31AM
Pricewise, how does it compare for equal amounts of medicine?

FROM: Barbara
DATE: Monday December 10, 2001 -- 9:26:54AM
I think the liquid form is a factor. It becomes more of a topical product instead of having to travel all through the bloodstream before getting to your throat. I think it would soothe your throat as you swallow it.

FROM: Viren
DATE: Monday December 10, 2001 -- 9:35:30AM
I had the same experience last month. I bought the Tylenol Sore Throat, and thne looked at the ingredients at home -- felt kinda stupid. Believe me, the liquid form and the "honey" flavor in it doesn't do much for your sore throat that ordinary tylenol doesn't.

DATE: Monday December 10, 2001 -- 9:53:03AM
I'm fairly certain that the Sore Throat version is more expensive, but I'll check.

Barbara has a valid point, but not being a doctor, I wonder if having a thick goo go down one's throat is just a placebo or not.

FROM: Jeani
DATE: Monday December 10, 2001 -- 9:58:16AM
As the aforementioned duped girlfriend, I can say that I was most annoyed by the fact that the Sore Throat version costs a pretty penny more than the regular old Tylenol -- or generic Acetaminophin (sp?), as I tend to buy. I don't remember the exact cost, but the Sore Throat only has four or five dosages in it, so I'm sure it's just a good way for them to make more money.

DATE: Monday December 10, 2001 -- 10:20:50AM
The price for Sore Throat versus regular ol' Tylenol.

At these prices, Tylenol costs roughly 14 cents a dose; Sore Throat costs 57 cents a dose! (Tylenol dose = 2 tablets; Sore Throat = 30mL, per the box.)

DATE: Monday December 10, 2001 -- 10:53:47AM
Paul -- wow. That is quite a price difference.

Good job pointing this out. :)

FROM: Katherine
DATE: Monday December 10, 2001 -- 2:04:14PM
For what it's worth, Tylenol can have a topical effect. When I first got braces as a kid, I swished with liquid Children's Tylenol (didn't swallow it though) to numb the pain. It tasted horrible, but it did help. Still though, it sounds like the Sore Throat stuff isn't worth it.

FROM: joe jackson
DATE: Tuesday November 19, 2002 -- 1:46:40 pm
i think tylenol is a good medicine for you i think these things they said are good

FROM: trista
DATE: Monday January 6, 2003 -- 9:15:52 am
i think you should tell me... the following things:
*identify the chemicals in tylenol
*explain the reaction tylenol is involved in
*identify 2 types of bonds that hold tylenol together and what are the bonds between.
EMAIL ME THE ANSWERS... cuz its my homework. thanks

FROM: trista
DATE: Monday January 6, 2003 -- 9:16:23 am
please hurry cuz its due soon.
ThAnKS

FROM: trista
DATE: Monday January 6, 2003 -- 9:16:31 am
i think you should tell me... the following things:
*identify the chemicals in tylenol
*explain the reaction tylenol is involved in
EMAIL ME THE ANSWERS... cuz its my homework. thanks

DATE: Monday January 6, 2003 -- 9:19:59 am
i think you should tell me the following things:
* why should i care?
* where'd you learn your manners?
* why should i care?

DATE: Monday January 6, 2003 -- 1:40:49 pm
You know, when I was your age, we had to actually look stuff up. Not simply go to Google, type in a word, and then spam every site with a comment or feedback form asking for help.

Pathetic.

FROM: mee
DATE: Monday November 17, 2003 -- 4:18:39 am
logical reaction will help

FROM: Gabbee141
DATE: Tuesday February 24, 2004 -- 2:53:17 pm
tylonol, both liqiud and solid, suck. take some aspirin or some midol for christ's sake!

FROM: