Fred "Rerun" Barry once commented here.

May 5th, 2002

Matinees

It’s rare that I go to the movies anymore to see a new film. Perhaps it’s my cynicism about the crap that Hollywood has been churning out, or perhaps it’s the thought of spending $8.50 for a ticket.

I realize I sound like a grouchy old man complaining about ticket prices (“In my day…”), but these days, I just don’t feel like you get your money’s worth. So, to cut back on that, if I see a movie in the theatre, I’ll only go to a matinee. Even the prices on matinees are pretty expensive (a couple bucks ain’t much of a discount), but you get the added bonus of less people. Less people = less chance of having the back of your seat kicked = less chance of people talking through the movie.

How much are movies in your area?

Posted in Television, Movies, and Music

FROM: Paul [E-Mail]
DATE: Sunday May 5, 2002 -- 10:57:21 am
In the city (and the Chicago suburbs too, really), ticket prices range from $8 to $9. Matinees are usually much less - and some theaters have $3 matinees, which are the best.

FROM: Robert [E-Mail]
DATE: Sunday May 5, 2002 -- 1:12:31 pm
Matinees in Richmond float between $4.75 and $5.25. Of course, there's always the Byrd, which charges $.99 for Saturday/Sunday matinees (currently Harry Potter), $2 for regular showings, and $3 for Saturday midnight movies. It's a sweet ride, mama.

FROM: Tina
DATE: Sunday May 5, 2002 -- 8:28:46 pm
Matinees are wonderful, except when you find out that only the first show of the afternoon is the discount one. Then you kinda kick yourself because your impatience prompted you to pay $8 to see it in the theater instead of waiting until the darn show came out on video.

Today I saw "The Cat's Meow" matinee, and someone in the audience had a wheezing problem - it sounded like an elephant was being strangled behind me. Thanks for a waste of $8!

Great movie, BTW!

FROM: Chris [E-Mail]
DATE: Sunday May 5, 2002 -- 9:04:17 pm
Not only do I stick to Matinee shows (exception made for the occasional date night with the wife) I usually sneak in my own soda and snack too. The concession prices offend me more than the tickets prices do.

FROM: fresh
DATE: Sunday May 5, 2002 -- 9:09:50 pm
used to have a dollar theater here in historical salem ma but it got uped to 4 and a quarter, the big thearter is 850, 450 for matinees

FROM: fractal909
DATE: Sunday May 5, 2002 -- 10:08:18 pm
I really hate the fact that movie prices are in excess of $8. So my wife and I have this rule: Always attend a matinee but if you have to break down and see a show at reg price sneak in another show to justify the cost of the ticket. In regards to snacks we always buy at the theater unless you're bringing an item they don't sell. Ever had steak while watching the Matrix? heh heh.

FROM: Paul [E-Mail]
DATE: Sunday May 5, 2002 -- 10:18:22 pm
Fractal, are you sneaking in a portable Foreman Grill, too? I think the sizzle would give it away....

FROM: Patrick
DATE: Monday May 6, 2002 -- 10:26:43 am
Since the dollar theatre went out of business the only place nearby is $7.50 regular, $5.25 matinee.

My girlfriend and I have soda refill cups and it only costs us $1 for a drink. Our movie going cost is $15 including tickets, popcorn and drink.

$15 is pushing the spending limit because I could sit at home in front of my flat screen and watch a DVD without some jackass redneck's cell-phone ringing Sweet Home Alabama.

FROM: Chris [E-Mail]
DATE: Tuesday May 7, 2002 -- 12:51:03 pm
Katherine and I just saw Harry Potter at a second run theatre for $1.50 each. It was a decent theatre for the price and i hope to go back. We weren't aware that it was going to be so cheap so it was a pleasant surprise. We haven't seen alot of first run movies the last several years, partly because it is hard to justify the cost. I do want to see Spider-man and Episode II in theatres this summer but I am not sure if there will be anything else coming out this summer that I just have to pay big bucks to see.

FROM: steve
DATE: Saturday May 11, 2002 -- 12:14:14 am
here in australia, tickets are about 9 bucks, and go up to about 13 for adults, but thats aussie dollars, that's about 4 or 5 american bucks.

FROM: Scott R
DATE: Thursday May 23, 2002 -- 8:02:56 pm
The guy in the area where I live runs two movie theaters, subsequently the only two good movie theaters in the area. He plays movies from like dreamworks and other companies in one theater, and other companies go to the other theater, personally I think if he were to gear it by age group it worul work out much better financially for him, but whatever. The new mall costs like maybe six bucks for a matinee, while the old mall costs five bucks at the most for any time, and I think four something for matinee. But the old mall has released such films as The Animal, and Snow Dogs. Combine this with Rat Race (((for the record Shakespear himself couldn't produce a more tragic tragedy than Rat Race))) The new mall is much better.