The 5,000th Ping will be published on September 14, 2013.

January 3rd, 2003

Textured Vegetable Protein

I’d like to take a moment to give special thanks to something in my life. Textured vegetable protein.

TVP is the thing that helped me realize there was more than just meat, chicken, and poultry out there. I enjoy it quite a bit – sure it’s mostly in Morningstar products, but still. I don’t think my life would be the same without it.

It’s no tofu, but TVP is easily one of my favorite non-meat products.

Ryan MacMichael is cookin’ with ALF.

Posted in Miscellaneous

DATE: Friday January 3, 2003 -- 9:22:15 am
Now I know why my co-worker made a comment to me about TVP this morning. :)

FROM: Robert [E-Mail]
DATE: Friday January 3, 2003 -- 6:01:56 pm

Maybe I'm missing the joke, but don't chicken and poultry belong to the "meat" group, and is chicken no longer considered poultry? What happened?

Harmony Cafe in Georgetown (DC) serves mock meat made from TVP, which provided my only experiences with the substance. Fun, delicious times, one and all.

DATE: Friday January 3, 2003 -- 11:08:17 pm
Roberto -- "Meat" and "beef" are often used interchangably, though when I say "meat" I mean anything from beef to fish.

As far as the chicken/poultry thing, I think Paul's sniffed too much butane.

DATE: Friday January 3, 2003 -- 11:43:13 pm
Robert, didn't you hear? Chicken is now above poultry. Poultry? That's just turkey!

I do use "meat" and "beef" interchangably, as Ryan deduced.

FROM: Robert [E-Mail]
DATE: Saturday January 4, 2003 -- 2:43:04 am
Paul: Now I understand. Please stop doing that. Really! :-D

FROM: Joe Goddard
DATE: Sunday January 11, 2004 -- 8:46:57 pm
TVP is great!

I use it as a cereal with equal and soymilk. I use it in gravies. I make a veggie meal loaf with it. It is the staple of my diet, and I have lost 28 lbs. in about 14 weeks. I use the bulk.
Try it and you will like it.