Angry Birds is still not available on The Daily Ping.

July 1st, 2003

Alarm Clock Idea

All good ideas are born from necessity. Yesterday morning I had a good idea.

When you set the alarm on an analog alarm clock, you don’t specify am or pm, you just set it for 8 o’clock. If the alarm happens to be turned on at 8pm, it’ll make noise. If it’s on in the morning, it’ll wake you in the am. While this might seem like a hassle, it’s not: the alarm is rarely enabled except less than 12 hours before you want it to go off. This apparent limitation is actually a feature.

A feature that should be built into digital alarm clocks.

I can count the number of times that my analog alarms have gone off 12 hours too early/late on one hand. At the same time, I’ve lost track of how many times I’ve set my digital alarm to pm instead of am (“Does that little red dot mean am or pm? Or does it mean that the alarm is turned on? Who the hell knows, I’m going to sleep.”). So why not add a switch to digital alarm clocks that tells the clock to ignore the am/pm designation, and just set the alarm for 8 o’clock. That way, you never have to worry about missing an alarm that’s set in the evening instead of in the morning.

This feature would have helped me out a little bit yesterday.

Posted in Everyday Life

DATE: Tuesday July 1, 2003 -- 12:37:12 am
If this feature is ever added, that's when I'll turn to a digital clock. In the meantime, I'll stick to my good ol analog clock (20-some years and working just fine)..

For me, give the ol analog clock with the really annoying alarm. It's the only thing that EVER wakes me up.

FROM: cd-rw
DATE: Tuesday July 1, 2003 -- 1:49:26 am
add an adjustable snooze alarm to it while you're at it. the days are long gone when they had to set the snooze alarm at 9 minutes to save on programming space. ever find a digital alarm clock with a snooze timer other than 9 minutes?

FROM: Chris
DATE: Tuesday July 1, 2003 -- 9:35:09 am
I think my clock adds 9 minutes for each time you hit the snooze button. However, I never use the snooze button so I could be wrong about that. Ryan's idea is great though.

FROM: IanC
DATE: Tuesday July 1, 2003 -- 12:28:21 pm
Even more simple is to just make it standard that digital alarm clocks operate on the 24hr clock basis.

Whilst I'm on that subject, that is the thing that irritates me most about the TV show 24. If it's 2.56 pm, then for gods sake show it as 14:56. Don't just cater for the lowest common denominator!

Rant over...

DATE: Tuesday July 1, 2003 -- 2:52:15 pm
I'd venture to say that most people don't use the 24-hour clock, so having it as a default on digital alarm clocks probably wouldn't fly.

But what the heck, go ahead and add another switch to make it an option.

FROM: towinlovinit
DATE: Wednesday July 2, 2003 -- 3:38:46 am
I have a great alarm clock, not only does it show at digital but I can set it for military time and it also has a flashing light that goes off and the same time the buzz goes off. Really loud. The light wakes me up faster than the sound. I have had that alarm now for over 8 years. Works great. Can't buy it at regular stores though. If you need the flashing light cause you don't here that buzz very well, check with the deaf and hard of hearing equipment sales. They also have one that vibrates and shakes the bed. Can't sleep through that, I can tell you. I am one of those deep sleepers. A train could run over me and I won't wake up, but that light sure does wake me up in a hurry.

FROM: IanC
DATE: Wednesday July 2, 2003 -- 8:26:46 am
Ryan, when you say that most people don't use the 24hr clock, do you mean that it's not what they use in normal conversation or that it's not something they understand / come across in everyday life? If it's the former I'd say fine. Unless you are in the military or just a little bit anal you aren't likely to say 22:30 in everyday conversation. If it's the second then I'd be surprised (and a little disappointed). Certainly in the UK the 24hr clock has been the default on VCR's for years now, and also seems to be the default on my cellphone. Cable / satellite TV displays times in 24hr format also.
Sure people may not talk in 24hr, but I'd venture to suggest that almost everyone understands it nowadays.

Saying that, neither of my current digital alarm clocks even have the option of 24hr display (which does seem to be the norm, and bugged the hell out of me when I was shopping for a new one).

DATE: Wednesday July 2, 2003 -- 9:38:31 am
I should have said "most people in the US" don't use the 24-hour clock... our VCRs, satellites, etc. are all on the 12-hour clock. I actually can't remember the last thing I bought or used in the US that used the 24-hour clock.

Maybe a 24-hour clock is like the metric system... it makes too much sense, so obviously the US won't adopt it. :)

DATE: Wednesday July 2, 2003 -- 9:41:08 pm
One of my co-workers who is never late was late today due to setting his alarm for a.m. rather than p.m. I had a good chuckle and no one knew why!

FROM: Katy
DATE: Thursday July 3, 2003 -- 1:06:13 am
I think that would be a good idea, as long as it was clearly marked (as most digital clocks are already way too complicated).

FROM: master of the obvious
DATE: Saturday July 5, 2003 -- 2:11:25 am
"For the record, there are clocks with adjustable sleep timers, if you can find them."

well, duh. and i'm sure there are ufo's, the easter bunny and santa claus, if you can find them.

FROM: Katy
DATE: Saturday July 5, 2003 -- 11:02:28 pm
Hey, I happen to have an adjustable sleep timer. I got it as a present, or else I'd tell you where it came from. Let me know if you find Santa. :)

DATE: Thursday July 28, 2005 -- 9:28:29 pm

DATE: Thursday July 28, 2005 -- 9:28:30 pm

DATE: Thursday July 28, 2005 -- 9:28:30 pm

DATE: Thursday July 28, 2005 -- 9:28:30 pm

DATE: Thursday July 28, 2005 -- 9:28:32 pm

FROM: ryan bianchin [E-Mail]
DATE: Thursday July 28, 2005 -- 9:32:40 pm
i would like to be contacted with any information. i really believe in this cause. if anyone needs to publish any thing on the net let me know and ill do it free of charge if you mention theis website. just email me!

DATE: Thursday July 28, 2005 -- 11:16:22 pm
I'd like to publish blank comments 20 times, can you help me??

DATE: Friday July 29, 2005 -- 7:44:36 am
Gee, Ryan, I think we need this lowercase "r" Ryan's help to publish on the net. Clearly, we aren't doing enough blank comments!