There were rumors of a Ping book, but those were started on the internet.

May 27th, 2004

America Made the Right Choice

Being the open American Idol fan that I am, I just wanted to voice my elation after last night’s victory by Fantasia Barrino. While everyone compared her to Macy Gray (yeah, if Macy Gray didn’t bore me to tears), I think the more apt comparison is a female Al Green. She’s the first Idol winner whose CD I will actually buy, assuming it’s not terribly overproduced.

And did anyone else find Ruben’s new single unbelievably awful? I mean, did he really sing, “I love you like I used to love cake?” Cake?!

Posted in Miscellaneous

FROM: David
DATE: Thursday May 27, 2004 -- 9:34:29 am
Do you think he was referring to the dessert or the band?
Maybe he will change that lyric after the completion of Cake's fifth album, "Pressure Chief." Then maybe he will love "you" as much as Cake.

FROM: Chris [E-Mail]
DATE: Thursday May 27, 2004 -- 9:50:55 am
I think the contestant that comes in second is better off. They can choose which record deal to sign. The winner is stuck with Clive Davis and the incredibly boring hit producing machine. Might be good for their wallets, but its a death wish for their growth as an artist.

Something my wife mentioned last night...the fact that Fantasia is a high school drop out that was pregnant at age 15 was buried by the press. Do you think Diana would have received that same benefit? Or, if a male finalist was a drop out that had fathered a child at age 15?

FROM: Greg
DATE: Thursday May 27, 2004 -- 10:17:07 am
The people on this show have no more talent than any local schlub singing karaoke down at a local bar. That's what the show should be called... Karaoke Idol. You get people who can sing to a song they've written, then I'll watch.

FROM: Chris [E-Mail]
DATE: Thursday May 27, 2004 -- 10:46:39 am
There have been some incredible voices on the show - but yeah Greg, you are write. Writing music is a much more "interesting" talent in my opinion.

DATE: Thursday May 27, 2004 -- 11:43:59 am
I call it right now: This Ping will be in Dumb Ass Mode in the very near future. You heard it here first.

As for the show, I give a big "Who Cares?". It was obvious that Simon and Co. didnt care about anyone else other than Miss "Yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah" anyways. Diana could have nailed all three songs perfectly while standing on her head, and it would have just been "a'ight dog, just a'ight.."

Someone tell me why this show is popular?

DATE: Thursday May 27, 2004 -- 11:53:22 am
Incidentally, wasn't the line "I love you like a fat kid love cake" from the 50 Cent song "21 Questions", as well?

I agree, Ruben's album is awful. I don't care what the lyrics say, it appears he still loves his cake.

DATE: Thursday May 27, 2004 -- 12:56:17 pm

Buried by the press? I didn't notice that... I've seen her age and her daughter mentioned frequently. And they certainly didn't hide it on the show.

DATE: Thursday May 27, 2004 -- 4:34:01 pm
I think that LaToya will be the ultimate winner--she has talent, charisma, and flawless skin. I predict that she will be a Noxema model with a record deal to boot.

I don't think Ruben knows the band Cake. Call it a hunch.

DATE: Thursday May 27, 2004 -- 7:29:14 pm
Good point, jk. Ruben's musical knowledge of Cake probably doesn't "go the distance".

*rim shot*

Thanks, you've been a great audience. Try the veal.

FROM: Mario500 [E-Mail]
DATE: Thursday May 27, 2004 -- 8:20:48 pm
(Re-reads comment on Ruben)

Would you believe that's the first time I read something negative on Ruben? That's right, I said "read". Anyway, hopefully this is the final edition of "American Idol". Finding the so-called "next American Idol" every year is just going to kill the concept.

DATE: Thursday May 27, 2004 -- 9:01:56 pm
I don't think they can go forward with the series unless they refine the voting/calling in process.

DATE: Thursday May 27, 2004 -- 9:06:00 pm
I think American should vote which judge to kill and how to do it. I would pay to see that fat fuck fed to Ethiopians, and that Brit Wanker stoned by Iranians.

DATE: Thursday May 27, 2004 -- 9:14:50 pm
Geez Matt, tell us how you really feel already. ;p

Actually, Simon is the only judge I can tolerate, because he has the balls to tell someone he sucks. I'd like to see Paula Abdul 3 days after someone stops streching her face tight, while giving her sedatives. She'd end up looking like one of the extras from "28 Days Later".