The 5,000th Ping will be published on September 14, 2013.

July 10th, 2004

Chicken Capital USA

So KFC has unveiled its latest marketing blitz: now they’re not just Kitchen Fresh Chicken; they’re Chicken Capital USA.

Or are they?

Last night while fast-forwarding through commercials, the phrase struck me. I asked my wife, who has an English degree, if “capital” in that case would be appropriate… or if it would be “capitol.” I suspected the latter and, she confirmed, KFC can’t spell it “capital” and have the meaning they’re trying to convey. KFC would have to be “Chicken Capitol USA.” “Chicken Capital USA” has no meaning.

So, a big thumbs down to KFC for not knowing how to spell. Way to go!

Posted in Food and Beverage

FROM: Mario500 [E-Mail]
DATE: Saturday July 10, 2004 -- 1:14:14 pm
Webster's New World Dictionary (Second College Edition):

Capitol: "Temple of Jupiter on the Capitoline Hill in ancient Rome." "The hill itself." "The building in which U.S. Congress meets, at Washington D.C." "The building in which a State legislature meets."

DATE: Saturday July 10, 2004 -- 4:36:05 pm
Ah, but from the dictionary.com definition of capital:

"Usage Note: The term for a town or city that serves as a seat of government is spelled capital. The term for the building in which a legislative assembly meets is spelled capitol."

I tend to think of KFCs as buildings.

FROM: Robert [E-Mail]
DATE: Saturday July 10, 2004 -- 6:11:42 pm
Chicken in the car, but the car won't go.

DATE: Sunday July 11, 2004 -- 11:32:36 pm
All I really wanna know is how the hell does KFC stay in business? I mean, every time I pass one, it looks empty. Reeeeeeally empty. It's can't be because of all the KFC/Taco Bell combinations doing well, can it?

FROM: Greg
DATE: Monday July 12, 2004 -- 10:39:34 am
Capital - (n.) Wealth in the form of money or property.

Maybe what they are saying is that they have a lot of expensive chickens.

FROM: Rafael
DATE: Monday July 12, 2004 -- 11:37:06 am
In my opinion I think what they mean by Capital is that there chicken is excellent or at least that is what they are trying to convey to the public. However in my personal opinion how can it be excellent when it still has the skin on it and the breading is socked with grease…yea, excellent chance to give you a heart attack!

DATE: Tuesday July 13, 2004 -- 12:57:28 pm
One thing's for sure, KFC is the leader among the trinity of dirty restaurants. KFC, Taco Bell and Pizza Hut, all owned by the same sloppy conglomerate, are the filthiest, most insanitary and visually disgusting of all fast food restaurants. Judging by the unkemt appearance of most major US cities, capitals and capitols included, then KFC hit it on the mark.

DATE: Tuesday July 27, 2004 -- 4:06:02 pm
Get a life

DATE: Wednesday July 28, 2004 -- 12:59:27 pm
Eat my shorts

FROM: Dan \"Doctor Chicken\" Gullet
DATE: Thursday August 5, 2004 -- 1:14:09 pm
Dictionary.com
Capital:

a. A town or city that is the official seat of government in a political entity, such as a state or nation.

b. A city that is the center of a specific activity or industry: the financial capital of the world."

KFC is the center of Chicken in the USA, so therefore KFC's use of the term was correct.

I think the bigger issue here is if KFC is the capital of chicken then the state of our nation is in dire straights.

FROM: automatron [E-Mail]
DATE: Wednesday September 8, 2004 -- 4:41:16 pm
where could I get one of those T-shirts you see in the comerical ? You know, chicken captial usa ,"right wing , left wing - tastes the same to me" .

DATE: Thursday September 9, 2004 -- 9:30:39 am
Dan,

Both of your definitions start by describing capital as a town or city. that is at the center of something. While KFC may be the center (of god knows what) it's neither a city nor a town.

Of course, allowing for artistic license, no one would find fault if KFC referred to itself as "Chicken Town" or "Chicken City," but I assume those terms have less marketing appeal.

How about Chicken Township? Chicken Suburb? Chicken Blighted Urban Center? Chicken District? Chicken County? Chicken Parish? Greater Chicken Area? Chickopolis?

They all suck.

DATE: Thursday September 9, 2004 -- 9:31:35 am
Chicken Slum!

That's it!!!!

DATE: Thursday September 9, 2004 -- 9:38:56 am
You forgot Chicken Borough. That might be the least attractive of the bunch.

FROM: Bob\'s Discount furniture [E-Mail]
DATE: Thursday September 9, 2004 -- 4:44:18 pm
You will not be able to miss the 47 foot extravaganza complete with a fully-equipped kitchen and a gigantic bucket of chicken as it passes through cities and towns throughout the United States. Chicken Capital USA! With Kevin Millar putting Red Sox on the Chicken Leg. That guy is a vampire.

Bob

FROM: AngeFaitore
DATE: Tuesday October 19, 2004 -- 11:15:13 am
I remember having a discussion like this in a high school English class.
I clearly remember my teacher telling the class that it's spelled Capital when it's the head of state, but it's Capitol if it's head of country, i.e., Washington D.C.
So, unless KFC is located in D.C. (there probably ARE a few KFCs there), Chicken Capital USA is correct.

FROM: Shadow [E-Mail]
DATE: Friday September 23, 2005 -- 5:40:46 am
anyone who can help me to give me a free shell account..... thanks.... please response me please....

DATE: Friday September 23, 2005 -- 8:25:18 am
Apparently it's "Posting in the Wrong Ping Because What's a Ping?" Week here at the Ping! Hooray!

DATE: Thursday November 10, 2005 -- 2:53:50 pm
Never thought that there'd be a KFC knockoff, but here's one in Goteburg, sort of. Tourists, beware!

DATE: Thursday November 10, 2005 -- 4:24:54 pm
Joseph -- Satan's Laundromat has a number of great photo series of KFC-knockoffs in NYC. Couple of good links at the end of his entry, too.

FROM: dimi
DATE: Sunday March 12, 2006 -- 2:48:17 pm
Guys whatever you write bad or good one thing is for sure that KFC is still alive in the USA!!! so whether capital or capitol this is the sad American scene....

FROM: Operon
DATE: Thursday April 6, 2006 -- 3:15:52 am
very nice website, I loved it
it was ma first time to log in here
thanks