The Story About Ping was about a duck, not this website.

June 15th, 2005

When Does it Stop Being Classic?

In less than a month (July 10th), we’ll be celebrating the 20th anniversary of Coca-Cola Classic.

20 years. 20 years since Coke realized New Coke was stupid and re-released their old formula with a different name.

Why is it still referred to as Coca-Cola Classic? Shouldn’t that name have died off pretty quickly since it was only being used to remind consumers that it wasn’t New Coke, a drink that was around for less than three months?

When does Classic stop being Classic?

Posted in Food and Beverage

FROM: Paulina
DATE: Wednesday June 15, 2005 -- 12:49:55 am
That comment was "classic"!

DATE: Wednesday June 15, 2005 -- 9:15:02 am
I say they release a new New Coke, kill it off, and then release New Coca-Cola Classic.

DATE: Wednesday June 15, 2005 -- 5:50:36 pm
I went to Germany that summer and realized that New Coke had not yet arrived, so I drank it like it was beer and brought home as much as I could carry.

My friend Nancy and I enjoyed the last two one night as we sat in a nightclub parking lot waiting for Bruce Springsteen to show up. He never did show up....it was just a rumor.

Did you know that Classic Coke is not exactly the same as the original Coke? Someone help me out with this: isn't one of the sugars different? I could tell.

FROM: David
DATE: Wednesday June 15, 2005 -- 8:04:30 pm
Only because Ryan demanded I post this:

Coke was so obsessed with beating Pepsi in the Cola Wars, they tested New Coke against competitors only. And it won in all the taste tests. They didn't consider 1) if people would like it more than the original Coke; and 2) that Coke was not just a beverage, but had become an integral part of American culture (for good and bad) and that a change would be taken personally, even by people who didn't drink Coke.

FROM: MollyCule
DATE: Saturday June 18, 2005 -- 12:30:50 am
jk - either Coke now has cane sugar instead of refined sugar, or vice versa. I was 4 when newclassic Coke came out, so don't blame me for forgetting.

DATE: Saturday June 18, 2005 -- 10:22:44 am
Coke has refined sugar now, because it's way cheaper than cane sugar. This I learned from Wikipedia.

DATE: Saturday June 18, 2005 -- 2:46:37 pm
Cane sugar makes a big difference in taste... that "good" Dr. Pepper from the one bottler in Texas that uses cane sugar is so much tastier than regular Dr. Pepper.

FROM: Adam [E-Mail]
DATE: Monday June 27, 2005 -- 12:10:01 am
Don't kill me, but I'm a Pepsi guy myself. It's a little sweeter and I seem to have never outgrown that. Still, because I grew up with a Southern father I called all soft drinks Coke. "Dad, can I have a Coke? Sure, what kind? Dr. Pepper please."

By the way, Paul, you hit it on the head. Different bottlers make a big difference. While I prefer Pepsi, I live in Atlanta so I can't really get away from Coke. I don't mind too much, unless I go home to FL. The Coke in Central FL tastes a lot different than it does here.